Brighton Marina Mud

Habebty

Visit site

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Amazing, no boat seems to list on the images, is the mud that soft ? And 2-3m thickness?
Should one person "fall overboard" would it be like being englued in moving sands, slowly sink while the tide is rising... :D

Stemar

Visit site
Amazing, no boat seems to list on the images, is the mud that soft ? And 2-3m thickness?
Should one person "fall overboard" would it be like being englued in moving sands, slowly sink while the tide is rising... :D
I can't speak for Brighton, but boats with 2m draft fin keels sit happily in the mud at Hardway. The kids on the nearby public pontoon go in the mud up to their knees. Just once in a while, one needs a bit of help to get out.

johnalison

Visit site
I got the impression when I was there that Brighton marina has base of chalk, with some mud overlying it, so that staying upright might be a matter of pot luck.

Habebty

Visit site
I got the impression when I was there that Brighton marina has base of chalk, with some mud overlying it, so that staying upright might be a matter of pot luck.
I think you are right about the base of chalk, but the first time I went there about 2005, there was plenty of water at low tide, so there must be about 3m of mud sitting on the chalk now? The only caution I remember was not to attempt the entrance at low water in poor sea states. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I once got briefly stuck at a berth at low water.

veshengro

Visit site
" My question is where has that "mud" come from. The pebble beach, or the chalk cliffs? "

Many moons ago, when Noah was a little lad, I was talking to some Brighton inshore Fisherman at their pontoon in the Eastern part of Brighton Marina. Whether what they said was true or even possible I really don't know, but they were moaning about the Rampion Wind Farm which had started under construction down Channel a few miles to the West. They predicted that the base structures of the whirly gigs would alter the general seabed drift of sand/ shingle and mud along the coast and cause silting up at Brighton and Newhaven.

They were talking from a Fisherman's point of view and more concerned about the effects on fishes, not pleasure boaters remember, and the Wind Farm has been finished since about 2018. Rampion Part 2 has just been given the go ahead so in future the silting will probably block Brighton Prom and come halfway up the Clock Tower.... 🤣

Habebty

Visit site
My question is where has that "mud" come from. The pebble beach, or the chalk cliffs?
Probably suspended particles that remain in suspension in the tidal Channel outside but settle in the calmer marina inside? Probably the same mechanism that has shafted some Bristol Channel marinas.

lustyd

Visit site
Probably the same mechanism that has shafted some Bristol Channel marinas.
Bristol is surrounded by mud though so it makes sense. Brighton is surrounded by sand and shingle as well as chalk cliffs. They are renowned for liveaboards though