Can a Blake’s seacock be inadvertently installed so it closes anticlockwise?

LiftyK

Visit site
This is very strange. I have two Blake’s seacocks, lucky me. They are next to each other, one large and one small. One allows water into the loo for flushing. The other drains the holding tank via a Whale manual pump. The loo always first pumps into the holding tank. I expect both seacocks to close when the lever is rotated clockwise. I service them every year and marvel at how they just keep working. The loo is fine year after year.

Here we are in early 2024 season. Alas, working the pump to drain the holding tank results in a squirt of evilness coming from the “U” siphon break between pump and seacock. This will be its first use since its winter service. After much fiddling, I try pumping with the seacock handle clockwise, seemingly closed, and while not perfect it is leaking less at the siphon break, at least that’s my perception.

Is is really possible to accidentally assemble a Blake’s seacock so the lever closes the seacock when rotated anti-clockwise? I’ve never experienced this before. Thanks for your advice.

On my next visit to the boat I will have several large buckets with me and start undoing everything. Knowing whether the seacock is open or closed before I pull off its pipe would be good to know.

Wakatere

Visit site
From the Blake's website " with positive lever action on/off position; can be reversed for left or right hand operation". Take out the split pin, flip the handle over, replace the pin - sorted. I have one each way - sorry I can't find a photo.

LiftyK

Visit site
From the Blake's website " with positive lever action on/off position; can be reversed for left or right hand operation". Take out the split pin, flip the handle over, replace the pin - sorted. I have one each way - sorry I can't find a photo.
Thanks for this. The levers on both are perfectly aligned. The whole barrel must have twisted during service. It’s spooky how it did t happen before.on second thoughts, is this about turning the handle through 180° rather than reversing the direction of closure. It’s late now - I will give it some thought in the morning.

Refueler

Visit site
Dunno about yours - but if I remove the handle and use an open ended spanner - one of my handles has broken ... I can turn the tapered barrel 360 degrees ...
so if I remove barrel - clean and replace it 270 degrees from its original position - yes it will be 'other handed' ....

Steve_N

Visit site
When you serviced the seacock did you extract the cone and inspect it for corrosion caused by the 'evilness' whilst in the closed position? I ask because my current heads outlet seacock will now only fully seal/close when turned clockwise to close; the face of the cone that should create the seal with the handle turned anti-clockwise to close (as it has been for the past 45+ years) is pitted and doesn't make a complete seal, while the rest of the cone including the portion of its face that creates the seal when turned clockwise is in perfect condition. (Due for replacement obviously, some time in the next 45 years..)

Refueler

Visit site
My seacocks (two Blakes) ... the inlet to bog closes of fully and back-up by a second gate valve ... but the outlet larger version - you can actually still pass fluid when its closed - slowly but still does not close completely ...

I've ground it in .. done everything ... cone is good ... but it appears that maybe the valve body itself is the problem. While boat is out of water - I intend to install a valve inboard of it to secure the line.... to be safe.

Rappey

Visit site
You can turn a Blake seacock any direction you like. Some have an arrow stamped on the square shaft that the handle goes onto. The arrow points the direction of the hole in the cone. Line that up with the pipe and water will flow. Point it in any other direction and it won't.

VicS

Visit site
You can turn a Blake seacock any direction you like. Some have an arrow stamped on the square shaft that the handle goes onto. The arrow points the direction of the hole in the cone. Line that up with the pipe and water will flow. Point it in any other direction and it won't.
The modern ones are different. .

The handle fitting is different (no longer a square), The handle is shaped and a stop incorporated into the top plate to give positive positions for open and closed . The handle can be turned over to give the opposite direction of rotation.

1713176532043.png

Last edited:

LiftyK

Visit site
When you serviced the seacock did you extract the cone and inspect it for corrosion caused by the 'evilness' whilst in the closed position? I ask because my current heads outlet seacock will now only fully seal/close when turned clockwise to close; the face of the cone that should create the seal with the handle turned anti-clockwise to close (as it has been for the past 45+ years) is pitted and doesn't make a complete seal, while the rest of the cone including the portion of its face that creates the seal when turned clockwise is in perfect condition. (Due for replacement obviously, some time in the next 45 years..)
Thanks for your comments. I did remove the cone, with lever still attached. Fortunately the cone is in very good condition throughout. If it wasn’t sealing perfectly, the pump out would work, just, in the closed position.

LiftyK

Visit site
Dunno about yours - but if I remove the handle and use an open ended spanner - one of my handles has broken ... I can turn the tapered barrel 360 degrees ...
so if I remove barrel - clean and replace it 270 degrees from its original position - yes it will be 'other handed' ....
Yes that makes complete sense. I am back at the boat tomorrow and will reverse the handle. Thanks.

LiftyK

Visit site
Thanks. I will look for the arrow when I visit tomorrow. I can also compare with the smaller and normally opening seacock.

LiftyK

Visit site
The modern ones are different. .

The handle fitting is different (no longer a square), The handle is shaped and a stop incorporated into the top plate to give positive positions for open and closed . The handle can be turned over to give the opposite direction of rotation.

View attachment 175523
Thanks - yes I have the top plate with the stop.

VicS

Visit site
Thanks - yes I have the top plate with the stop.
Then your options are limited to closing with a part turn clockwise or a part turn anticlockwise depending which way up you fit the handle. If one is operating the wrong way for you turn the handle over.

I assume, and hope, you have the new type handle and cone to go with the top plate and not some hybrid mix of parts cobbled together by a previous owner.

LiftyK

Visit site
The mystery is solved. Thank you all for your advice. Alas, it turns out the problem is not what I thought it was. The problem started with a leak at in my pump out circuit. As the waste exited the top of the manual Whale sanitation pump and proceeded to the anti-siphon loop, SWMBO reported a blockage. The loop is a plastic U bend with an air valve at the top. The first thing I thought of was that the pump-out seacock was closed. After moving the seacock lever, SWMBO reported that it was slightly better but still oozing at the anti siphon loop. Three nappies worth of gunge was removed from below the pipes.

Today I disconnected the top end of the pipe from the anti-siphon loop down to the seacock. I poured in water and it ran down and out through the seacock, suggesting that the seacock lever was in the correct orientation after all. I also ran a drain unblocking wire through the pipes and all appeared clear (super stinky but not blocked). After reconnecting the pipes and trying a pump-out again, the anti-siphon loop oozed again. The top of the loop is a plastic U bend with an air valve it in. The valve is a rubber valve that I believe should allow air into the pipe bend but not let liquid out. My belief is that the little rubber valve is old and has failed. I've sealed it and will try again tomorrow to see if the leak has stopped.

VicS

Visit site
It seems that although you have serviced the seacocks you have neglected the antisyphon valve(s)

If they are the Jabsco type replacement inserts for the valves are available . 2 for £10.67
1713311293260.png

LiftyK

Visit site
It seems that although you have serviced the seacocks you have neglected the antisyphon valve(s)

If they are the Jabsco type replacement inserts for the valves are available . 2 for £10.67
View attachment 175628
Thank you Vic. I had incorrectly assumed I’d have to buy a whole new U bend and that would be my next step. I will order the valves that you’ve pointed out to me. I confess I had no idea I was supposed to service this part of the plumbing. Good advice and much appreciated.

VicS

Visit site
Thank you Vic. I had incorrectly assumed I’d have to buy a whole new U bend and that would be my next step. I will order the valves that you’ve pointed out to me. I confess I had no idea I was supposed to service this part of the plumbing. Good advice and much appreciated.
IF they are the Jabsco ones you'll find them here
Toilet Accessories / Marine Toilets / Marine / Xylem JabscoShop - Jabsco & Rule Pumps and more - from the experts ........go to "details" and scroll down to find the little valve inserts.

Maybe you'll find them in a chandlers or on a chandlers' website

The only other type (s) I know of are the Vetus ones ( but no doubt there are others) . The Vetus ones can be dismantled, cleaned , sprayed with Teflon spray and reassembled although replacement valves are available in theory.

Last edited: