Antares 760 thread

Pleinmont

Visit site
I was clearing out the 760 lazarette the other day and I found these two spare parts in the corner.
Never seen them before and I don't know what they are for - I have two guesses prob both of which are wrong but would be good to know if they are essential bits of something useful!

The metal bit might be related to the emergency steering tiller sections clipped behind the rudder stock?
The plastic bit may be for the through hull transducer?
Or not :D hopefully one of you might know.

Any ideas?
Thanks
1680177659666.png

1680177703308.png

1680177725787.png

Plum

Visit site
I was clearing out the 760 lazarette the other day and I found these two spare parts in the corner.
Never seen them before and I don't know what they are for - I have two guesses prob both of which are wrong but would be good to know if they are essential bits of something useful!

The metal bit might be related to the emergency steering tiller sections clipped behind the rudder stock?
The plastic bit may be for the through hull transducer?
Or not :D hopefully one of you might know.

Any ideas?
Thanks
The black plastic thing with the O-rings is a plug to insert after you withdraw a speed log transducer. The curved metal tool is for fitting/removing the Teleflex steering hub as in this picture
steering hub_resize_90.jpg

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Pleinmont

Visit site
Ha, nice one Plum... I was hoping someone would know.
Much appreciated - I'll leave them onboard and not bin them.

I was in the right ballpark with the plastic plunger but would never have guessed the Teleflex tool in a million years! :sleep:

Pleinmont

Visit site
Replaced my exhaust elbow recently...
This was the state of it after about 750hrs (not sure if it was ever replaced since new 2005 - I've had the boat since 2017 and 350hrs)...
Wasn't totally blocked but not great so I'm happy it's been changed.
Temp is now a steady 80-82deg C down from mid-high 80s underway which is good.
Still produces steam out the back but at least it's just the mixing of water and exhaust gas, it's nothing to worry about.
A friend fitted a £350 stainless one, I opted for the basic VP copy for £180 - will see what it looks like in a few years.

1689259621608.png
1689259685681.png

1689259555255.png

+1 for checking the exhaust elbow, mine was nearly solid after 700 hours. Still steams even with the new one.

View attachment 145111

Razy

Visit site
I finally got my Antares 7,60, year 1997 with TAMD41p-a engine. I need some help from A760 owners...

1. I find out there is not automatic bilge pump installed. What is best solution? To install additional bilge or just a sensor somewhere in the shaft compartment?
2. On engine compartment cover there was gas spring removed.. I can measure that the lenghth od spring should be 600mm, but I don't know the spring respons kg needed. Someone know that data? Also I will glue aluminium foil on the insulation layer as the fabric on the surface is falling apart. What type of foil would be good? I wil glue with Wuerth aerosol glue.
3. Electricity scheme is weird... An isolator on minus? All cables are messed and plus is not fused near baterries.. Did you keep that original scheme? Also charger is located near gasoil tank. I think will move it closer to batteries.
4. I will empty raw water sistem and check the condition of heat exchangers... Can I leave the sistem empty until spring or will there be an corrosion process if I leave it empty?
5. Front right triangular window is broken. I think it's plexi... Can someone confirm that?
6. Fresh water tank... Some DIY ideas for consumption monitoring? Maybe turbo water flow meter?

I will be happy if there are some answers.
Best regards, Tomaz from Slovenia.
Hi Tomaz,
Most of your other questions were answered, but I can add something to the water tank monitoring: I have installed the capacitor type foil sensors on both the fresh and black water tanks and connected them to my Raymarine display. It works really well and they are very easy to install. This is where I got them from: iSeries Tank Monitor | RV Monitor | Boat Monitor
You can get their display too if you don't have enough inputs left on your existing system, one of my friends has it and they work fine. The foil sensors stick to the outside of the tanks so there is no drilling involved, but they only work on plastic tanks.
I hope this helps.
Raz

Attachments

• 328031078_590474666255479_4338797720025584258_n.jpg
    328031078_590474666255479_4338797720025584258_n.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

tomaz_slo

Visit site
Hi Tomaz,
Most of your other questions were answered, but I can add something to the water tank monitoring: I have installed the capacitor type foil sensors on both the fresh and black water tanks and connected them to my Raymarine display. It works really well and they are very easy to install. This is where I got them from: iSeries Tank Monitor | RV Monitor | Boat Monitor
You can get their display too if you don't have enough inputs left on your existing system, one of my friends has it and they work fine. The foil sensors stick to the outside of the tanks so there is no drilling involved, but they only work on plastic tanks.
I hope this helps.
Raz
Thank you Razy for your help.

Pleinmont

Visit site
Hi Tomaz,
I hope this helps.
Raz
This system looks great.
I noticed you use a Raymarine display not the iSeries display. Does it work over NMEA2000?
Also what was that Raymarine display originally? Looks like an Autopilot controller but assume it's a small MFD....

Pleinmont

Visit site
Overdue job done recently.... Replaced the buttons on the windlass as the rubber domes were cracking.

White one was easy - lots of spare wire inside to join with - filled the heat shrink connector crimps with grease first before heating them up. Staggered them to push back into the hole, easy peasy.
Black one was much harder... There was virtually no spare wire left after cutting the old button off (even going to where they were attached inside the button!) and had to drill out the opening wide enough to be able to push 2 connectors back in.
Standard set of buttons off Ebay for £20 - look identical to the old ones.
Took a couple hours longer than expected but all works fine again.

Attachments

• Windlass buttons.jpg
    Windlass buttons.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 11

Razy

Visit site
This system looks great.
I noticed you use a Raymarine display not the iSeries display. Does it work over NMEA2000?
Also what was that Raymarine display originally? Looks like an Autopilot controller but assume it's a small MFD....
Sorry about the late reply, I somehow missed your post. When I bought the 760 it already had two large iSeries displays and this small MFD, all of them connected via NMEA2000. The large ones are very useful, I can display the radar on one and the chart on the other.

The small one can show any field available on the NMEA network and it was setup just for depth initially. You can define multiple screen layouts (with up to 6 items on each screen) and use the arrows to scroll through them. I usually have the speed, depth, water temperature, fuel level and time when I am on the way.

The Autopilot is a separate unit (Coursermaster CM85i) with its own display and I have connected it to the NMEA network so it can follow a set of waypoints automatically.

Pleinmont

Visit site
Sorry about the late reply, I somehow missed your post. When I bought the 760 it already had two large iSeries displays and this small MFD, all of them connected via NMEA2000. The large ones are very useful, I can display the radar on one and the chart on the other.

The small one can show any field available on the NMEA network and it was setup just for depth initially. You can define multiple screen layouts (with up to 6 items on each screen) and use the arrows to scroll through them. I usually have the speed, depth, water temperature, fuel level and time when I am on the way.

The Autopilot is a separate unit (Coursermaster CM85i) with its own display and I have connected it to the NMEA network so it can follow a set of waypoints automatically.
Thanks for the info Razy. Always nice to have good information displayed accurately. My analogue fuel tank meter seems to work consistently but would be good to have a second opinion on another device!

Razy

Visit site
Thanks for the info Razy. Always nice to have good information displayed accurately. My analogue fuel tank meter seems to work consistently but would be good to have a second opinion on another device!
When I installed the digital tank display I used the output from the analog fuel sender and I kept the original analog display too. Once calibrated the digital display is very accurate (down to 2-3 Liters) so the analog sender must be quite good.

To get the analog signals into the NMEA network I got the YDTA-01 interfaces (Tank Adapter YDTA-01: Connect resistive and voltage type fluid level sensors to NMEA 2000). You need one for each input so there is a bit of wiring to do, but they work very well.

Pleinmont

Visit site
Also, got a question re outboard brackets.
I'm trying to free up space in the lazarette and looking at putting a bracket on the transom for a Honda 2.3hp - 13kgs

Looks like two options.
1 - Fit a short section of SS railing on the top of the transom and use a clamp-on type like you see on sailing boats (but that would have to take the weight of the outboard as it would be suspended - or screw on a block for it to sit on). Might need access hatch cut into GRP to bolt on the SS rail as load bearing. Not sure if there is clearance for the motor to hang vertically as the gunwhale is quite wide.

2 - Fit a bracket on the back of the transom (screwed or bolted into the GRP) and have the tip of the outboard fin rest on a small pad on the swim platform to take the weight (presume needs an access hatch cut into the cockpit side of the transom). They have 4 screw holes so wonder if need a ply backer inside or not...

Anyone done one recently or have one on their 760?
If the bracket screwed into GRP doesn't need to be vertically load bearing (just supportive) would you still need an access hatch for bolts? Bit ugly if not essential.

1 - On railing

1714394303297.png1714394659970.png

2 - Bracket
1714393927688.png

Plum

Visit site
Also, got a question re outboard brackets.
I'm trying to free up space in the lazarette and looking at putting a bracket on the transom for a Honda 2.3hp - 13kgs

Looks like two options.
1 - Fit a short section of SS railing on the top of the transom and use a clamp-on type like you see on sailing boats (but that would have to take the weight of the outboard as it would be suspended - or screw on a block for it to sit on). Might need access hatch cut into GRP to bolt on the SS rail as load bearing. Not sure if there is clearance for the motor to hang vertically as the gunwhale is quite wide.

2 - Fit a bracket on the back of the transom (screwed or bolted into the GRP) and have the tip of the outboard fin rest on a small pad on the swim platform to take the weight (presume needs an access hatch cut into the cockpit side of the transom). They have 4 screw holes so wonder if need a ply backer inside or not...

Anyone done one recently or have one on their 760?
If the bracket screwed into GRP doesn't need to be vertically load bearing (just supportive) would you still need an access hatch for bolts? Bit ugly if not essential.

1 - On railing

View attachment 176166View attachment 176168

2 - Bracket
View attachment 176165
I have an oak mounting pad fitted to my stern hand rail whick I used for my 14kg outboard for several years although most of the time when on home pontoon it lived in the locker then moved it to rail whenever on board. No picture but will take one in a week. With the outboard mounted close to where the rail goes through 90 degrees to run along the port quarter the load on the rail base mounting self tapping screws is mostly downwards.

Pleinmont

Visit site
I have an oak mounting pad fitted to my stern hand rail whick I used for my 14kg outboard for several years although most of the time when on home pontoon it lived in the locker then moved it to rail whenever on board. No picture but will take one in a week. With the outboard mounted close to where the rail goes through 90 degrees to run along the port quarter the load on the rail base mounting self tapping screws is mostly downwards.
Many thanks Plum, yes a couple of pictures would be fantastic next time you are down on the boat.
Sounds good.
If strong enough, self tappers fixing the rail to the gunwhale would be ideal as that would save me cutting a hole for an access hatch and spoiling the view inside the cockpit.

Plum

Visit site
Many thanks Plum, yes a couple of pictures would be fantastic next time you are down on the boat.
Sounds good.
If strong enough, self tappers fixing the rail to the gunwhale would be ideal as that would save me cutting a hole for an access hatch and spoiling the view inside the cockpit.
This is what I have. The two plastic clips are for a MOB light.
Compress_20240504_155932_2085.jpgCompress_20240504_155123_3949.jpgCompress_20240504_155122_2236.jpgCompress_20240504_155120_0931.jpg

Pleinmont

Visit site
Hi Plum
Thanks for the pics, looks a good solution with the rails fitted.
Quick question - does that pad allow for the outboard to hang securely unsupported on the inside or outside (or both)?

Also, what's that other outer bracket for - the one with the string (bottom right - last pic)?
Cheers
Dan

Plum

Visit site
Hi Plum
Thanks for the pics, looks a good solution with the rails fitted.
Quick question - does that pad allow for the outboard to hang securely unsupported on the inside or outside (or both)?

Also, what's that other outer bracket for - the one with the string (bottom right - last pic)?
Cheers
Dan
The outboard had no other support, just clamped to the pad on the outside of the rail. The other bracket is for the horseshoe lifebelt with the bit of elastic to hold it on

Last edited: