Any recommendation for windlass fitter

billyfish

Visit site
Going to get me a electric windlass next winter so start looking now anyone in the solent that would do a decent job ?

Visit site
Going to get me a electric windlass next winter so start looking now anyone in the solent that would do a decent job ?
There’s bound to be but it will probably double the cost of the winch. Fitting one isn’t difficult, do it yourself that way when it goes wrong you will have a head start in looking for the problem.

Tranona

Visit site
Where are you located? It is not a hugely difficult job. The worst bit is running the cables particularly if you are planning to run from the existing batteries.

Neeves

Visit site
Vyv has a picture of his installation on his website.

You could teach a monkey to run cables - but you will pay for a certificated professional to do it for you (and he might give the task to an apprentice (but you will still pay the full rate).

Like Vyv or as Tranona says - its really not difficult. I fitted our new Maxwell windlass. which I think is what Vyv fitted.

Post some sensible and self explanatory pictures of the the location you are considering and name your yacht and you will receive advice which you can sift through. That's what PBO is for :) . If you cannot cope with all the advice your fall back is still available - a professional.

Get your phone out and take some pics. If you want educated answers we need the pictures (and yacht model)

Jonathan

billyfish

Visit site
🤔 that sounds like sound advice and is what I was going to do but the boat is a Degero 28 with a captive roller through the bow and to add complexity the gas bottle is in the locker which will need moving out. So a new locker needs building as well in the stern. Also if the windlass sits on the deck a stainless mount will need fabricating to get the run straight. What I could do with is another Degero28 with one to look at but there pretty rare. I guess I could sail to Finland where there's more.

Visit site
🤔 that sounds like sound advice and is what I was going to do but the boat is a Degero 28 with a captive roller through the bow and to add complexity the gas bottle is in the locker which will need moving out. So a new locker needs building as well in the stern. Also if the windlass sits on the deck a stainless mount will need fabricating to get the run straight. What I could do with is another Degero28 with one to look at but there pretty rare. I guess I could sail to Finland where there's more.
As others have said pictures, why a stainless mount a wooden one will be easier to make, shape and fit.

Tranona

Visit site
I think this poole.boatshed.com/degero_28_ms-boat-232542.html is the same type of boat. some good shots of the foredeck, locker and anchoring arrangements. I suspect quite a challenge to fit a windlass.

Maybe contact the builder if still around. Other examples have an extended bow platform with the anchor on the end an a windlass on deck but a very different arrangement.

Neeves

Visit site
If you Google Degero 28 you get a lot, a real lot, of hits (its in no ways rare) - I confess a lack of motivation, I've had a busy day. If you scan through you might get some ideas. It seems there is an owners group on Facebook, though I don't know how active (it came up in my Google search). I also wondered if there is an owners group (but did not see it in my quick search)

Being a Baltic yacht the anchoring gear might commonly be at the stern (which might be why the gas bottle is in the bow)

It is not unique to have a windlass in a locker (ours was in a locker - but had no capstan) - though getting enough drop for the chain might be an issue depends on how big and far aft the locker is.

Jonathan

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
If you Google Degero 28 you get a lot, a real lot, of hits (its in no ways rare) - I confess a lack of motivation, I've had a busy day. If you scan through you might get some ideas. It seems there is an owners group on Facebook, though I don't know how active (it came up in my Google search). I also wondered if there is an owners group (but did not see it in my quick search)

Being a Baltic yacht the anchoring gear might commonly be at the stern (which might be why the gas bottle is in the bow)

It is not unique to have a windlass in a locker (ours was in a locker - but had no capstan) - though getting enough drop for the chain might be an issue depends on how big and far aft the locker is.

Jonathan
I have done just that and there really is not much available as so few boats were built. I found the OPs boat hen it was for sale in Poole but all the others had bow platforms - very different from his boat which has a through the bow anchor rather like that used by Malo. See post#7

Neeves

Visit site
I have done just that and there really is not much available as so few boats were built. I found the OPs boat hen it was for sale in Poole but all the others had bow platforms - very different from his boat which has a through the bow anchor rather like that used by Malo. See post#7
I followed your link and saw the 'through the bow' anchor arrangement.

J

billyfish

Visit site
I think I've had a brain wave . Horizontal windlass will pick the chain up 6 inches which will line up with the bow roller then to return have a hose for it to go down through the present locker to a unused locker under the forward bunk, its a bugger to get to anyway. I will have to put a hole through to drain the water into the next compartment, but as I write this I think I could run it straight into the shower, happy days.

Neeves

Visit site
You might need a good deck (bow) wash. I'm not sure that muddy seawater in the shower is very inviting.

If you are happy - its a result. :)

If the problem is getting the rode low down then you could add a roller (like a bow roller) but upside down (or the chain passes under the roller), so the roller pulls the rode down.

Totally irrelevant - the pictures I saw of the Dagero 28 - a very attractive yacht.

Jonathan

billyfish

Visit site
Yes thank you a very comfortable yacht and even though a motor sailer sails very well. With the bonus that when it's cold and wet you can get out of it and stay warm and dry. I don't know why there aren't more models in this climate.

Tranona

Visit site
Yes thank you a very comfortable yacht and even though a motor sailer sails very well. With the bonus that when it's cold and wet you can get out of it and stay warm and dry. I don't know why there aren't more models in this climate.
Often debated at length here and there is one simple answer - price. People who buy new boats simply do not value an enclosed steering position at the 25-30% price premium, which is even heavier when you look at boats like yours which are already 50% or more expensive than a mass production boat of similar size. I remember Peter Poland of Hunter boats who did try with the 27 and 32 to add a deck house saying everybody loved the idea but the first reaction to the price was "I can get a 30' for the same price as your 27". Likewise with the Moody Eclipse 33 which got rave reviews and good initial sales, but cost more than a 36 with centre cockpit and a vast aft cabin. Less than 200 built and then sales fell of a cliff. Other factors are the many buyers see being in the open air as part of the appeal and sailing is a fair weather activity, and of course most volume sales are in warm climates. Sprayhoods, cockpit canopies and autopilots help cope with the small amount of time spent out in inclement weather.

The real stronghold of this type of boat is Scandinavia where not only is there real additional value in extending the sailing season, but a wealthier population prepared to pay the premium. Even then the biggest and most successful builder, HR has made only one foray into this sector as like so many other builders it found the appeal outside that area very limited.