Banjer-style steel schooner - what's not to like?

dancrane

Visit site
I like how she looks, I like the wheelhouse and the rig, especially as an unashamed acknowledgement that she was probably never meant to sail upwind.

Heavily built in steel (1990), which if it isn't the most efficient or prettiest construction method, must be the most robust and easy to work on. Admittedly, her estimated displacement makes the same-size Fisher motorsailer look lightweight; and with only 40hp I doubt she'll reach hull speed in a seaway; and the sailplan is likely a bit modest too.

53706606719_0dc559ccd2_o.png

Not the best photo...she deserves better. Pity there are no pics of her under sail.

Interior looks okay, although as it's all in wood, I assume the layout could be completely reworked according to the next owner's preference.

The price seems very low for a tough, custom-built vessel. What I'm wondering is whether she's likely a money-pit, or a magnificent bargain for someone who likes the design.

Here’s the advert on Apollo Duck.

Neeves

Visit site
I don't know the construction costings but she could have been built half the weight if using a bottom of the range higher tensile steel, say 700mpa instead of standard 350mpa from which she was probably built.

Jonathan

KompetentKrew

Visit site
For the benefit of google the yard / designer is Van Rijnsoever.

I was quite besotted with Blauwe Daen when she was for sale some years ago, when I was still dreaming of sailing. I think this was around 2014, but I can't say for absolute certain. I saved all the pics of her to my "interesting boats" folder.

lJdG2i9.jpeg

GPx4U0h.jpeg

56aTqFl.jpeg

Zky3CfH.jpeg

wgOKNDR.jpeg

CBvtSUb.jpeg

7OJxxRt.jpeg

V0f96op.jpeg

bLoJd1d.jpeg

gNbK7tk.jpeg

weKVYHi.jpeg

CdU9QDJ.jpeg

Rwx6UAt.jpeg

JormgjV.jpeg

6MQzXwf.jpeg

eVYyrAS.jpeg

nhm7lGS.jpeg

MrnH1JO.jpeg

ipR8vWv.jpeg

pBxGlSH.jpeg

Last edited:

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Not long after - the same year or the following one - Iris was listed for sale with a UK broker.

I think the broker listed her as being in Bristol - the video is labelled Watchet Harbour, which is in the Bristol Channel a bit west of the city.

P9qxV18.jpeg

j5rtapd.jpeg

D4WCj00.jpeg

kur4Bcp.jpeg

3vVc3Ur.jpeg

StU39p0.jpeg

QLgPb3A.jpeg

oJVgy8p.jpeg

Akpny64.jpeg

JAGkiFJ.jpeg

Gm1KGGk.jpeg

dYKB3DN.jpeg

3unwexQ.jpeg

h9e6uaV.jpeg

lJFZuWC.jpeg

EUvhiQY.jpeg

btFL0UV.jpeg

WWxW3pK.jpeg

TzWjSbQ.jpeg

PjEbC3q.jpeg

dancrane

Visit site
Kompetent Krew, that's a fantastic collection of photos and video, thanks very much. That interior is very appealing.

The forward and aft windows in the wheelhouse should allow some visibility from the cockpit...but there's no helm in the cockpit that I could see, so I assume steering from there was never part of the plan.

Obviously the video is taken in severe weather - probably 35 knots of wind? I couldn't decide if the vessel was slightly mishandled or if the sails were being tried tentatively to see how she'd behave. I had the feeling she'd carry all three sails, reefed, better than all main and a mainly rolled genoa/yankee.

Am I right in thinking the rapid rolling is an invariable consequence of heavy shallow displacement and weighty rig?

Visit site
She reminds me of a boat a friend bought similar but sloop rigged, we christened her Bong because that's the sound she made when she hit things which she invariably did. An absolute pig to helm at low speeds and impossible going astern.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
One or two things sound minor alarm bells! First, the advert specifically mentions adaptations so she can be used on canals (tabernacle for masts; mast lowering system). So I'd be asking if she's equipped for seagoing use. The other thing is that the advert mentions a diesel generator that is out of the boat and not working, and in the next sentence refers to a need for the wiring to be updated.

I agree with @dancrane that 40 hp is probably underpowered and that a more powerful engine would be on the shopping list. Again, it looks like she's powered for canal use rather than seagoing. Re-engining could cost as much as the asking price!

None are show-stoppers, but I think that even at the price, I'd be wanting a thorough survey before going further.

Visit site
From the Apollo Duck photographs she looks to be in a far removed condition from Kompetent Krews photos, get rid of the masts and sails and you might have an inland canal boat.

Yngmar

Visit site
Not much keel on that one. I expected a swing keel to come desceding out of that bottom but was surprised to find none in the specs. Probably not the most stable. Otherwise looks sturdy, but you'll need to stick your head behind the furniture to see the condition of the hull.

There are bargain steel boats to be had, as the material has become very unfashionable. If your style of cruising is "tank driver" (slow, steady and unstoppable), that may be for you. There's certain advantages, not just in bulk discounts on rust converter, but also in being unafraid of collisions or other people anchoring too close or scratching your precious high gloss polished & waxed gelcoat.

On the photos everything looks in reasonable shape, almost a little too good for the price, but as said, unpopular material. Probably worth looking at, but I'd want to have a test sail with a custom design like this.

dancrane

Visit site
Thanks Mr T, that genuine Banjer is extremely nice. Interesting to see sail control lines led inside the wheelhouse.

Bit doubtful about the 12-knot top speed quoted there! 😄

srm

Visit site
Nice looking motor/sailer for northern waters all be it let down by the various comments above. However, while it's relatively easy to keep a steel boat looking presentable on the outside I would have serious reservations. I was lucky to sell my steel boat for scrap value due to it quietly rusting away on the inside while the external epoxy coatings were still in good condition. At the very least I would want to know how easily the internal woodwork can be removed and replaced to allow inspection and if necessary re-coating of the internal structures.

Wansworth

Visit site
Nice looking motor/sailer for northern waters all be it let down by the various comments above. However, while it's relatively easy to keep a steel boat looking presentable on the outside I would have serious reservations. I was lucky to sell my steel boat for scrap value due to it quietly rusting away on the inside while the external epoxy coatings were still in good condition. At the very least I would want to know how easily the internal woodwork can be removed and replaced to allow inspection and if necessary re-coating of the internal structures.
I had a steel boat from new and treated all interior steel with waxoyle. Ten years on she was as good as new