Bought me a Yeoman Plotter.

fredrussell

Visit site
No one can say I’m not up to date with modern technology. Today I bought my first Yeoman Plotter at a boat jumble. Actually I bought three for a tenner! Always fancied one but I’m a latecomer to sailing and Navionics was just getting started when I bought my first boat. Plugged in one of the Yeomans and it fired up - good times!

Refueler

Visit site
tts funny ..... when they were 'current' items - I always wanted one .... but felt they were far too expensive for what they were.

Now ... yes - it would be nice to have, but given todays gear ... think it a bit of a curio ..

fredrussell

Visit site
Indeed. I’m hoping it’ll encourage me to use the paper charts a bit more. I’ve hardly glanced at a chart in five years.

MoodySabre

Visit site
I haven’t used mine for a few years but I do like them for long trips. Seeing your route across the North Sea and putting in a position every now and again takes seconds. It gives a great idea of where the tide takes you. In Nav mode the range and bearing from your current position is instant.
I once got stuck in heavy morning fog on the Swale and navigated out using the Yeoman and shouting out compass bearings to the helmsman. In the days before an iPad existed.

Devon Boy

Visit site
No one can say I’m not up to date with modern technology. Today I bought my first Yeoman Plotter at a boat jumble. Actually I bought three for a tenner! Always fancied one but I’m a latecomer to sailing and Navionics was just getting started when I bought my first boat. Plugged in one of the Yeomans and it fired up - good times!
Does this mean you have two spares ? ;)

Daydream believer

Visit site
It is a fantastic piece of kit & whilst I do not usually set the cockpit chart plotter up, I nearly always set up the Yeoman ready for emergencies. I use it to quickly drop waypoints in to the GPS if I do want to set up a route. It is better because I can see the big picture of where I intend to sail. I like to plot hourly positions on longer passages out of sight of land.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I think the reason we haven’t re employed ours is that we haven’t been out of sight of land for more than an hour or so yet. As DDB says, all the reasons we had it 25 years ago still stand.