Cabin Boat or Motor Home

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
Owning both a boat with accommodation space and a motorhome would be too much for me.
Its hard enough to put in enough time on one boat to justify its cost.

As far as motorhome vs camper van is concerned the camper van option has been ruled out by the chief officer.

We may go to a motorhome eventually but only when the boat becomes a physical issue or possibly if boat running costs escalate.

In a motorhome a fixed bed layout rather than a drop down bed would be our preference and this usually comes with a garage for folding bikes.

Quality of fit out of motorhomes varies quite a bit. Some are very poor to the point of being hardly fit for purpose. You get what you pay for.

It seems to me running costs with a motorhome are potentially more manageable than a boat. I believe secure storage is a fraction of marina fees. We know a location near home with storage that is also a lakeside campsite so the odd weekend could spent without travelling on the highway. Rather like spending the weekend on the boat in the marina which we intend to do this weekend.

I am no expert on motorhomes but Hymer , Rapido and Adria are brands that seem to be okay in terms of build quality.

Niesmann + Bischoff seem very popular in Scotland.

paradave

Visit site
Indeed the smallish motorhome towing a boat either rolled up in a trailer or our small 4.5m Rib is an ideal combo in our view. I also have it set up so that it is possible to take bikes with us.

I always buy older second hand so that nothing eats away at us for not being used as much as some might like. The MH was £22k Having done only 34,000 miles. The S24 was £18K and the Rib £3.5k. In my world these were not expensive and I am fortunate to be able to keep all of them and use as I wish. Being now semi retired and Her indoors completely retired we are finding time to make the most of them.

I am also about to buy a motorbike trailer so we can tow the motorbike behind the Motorhome for other sorts of trips. Gotta get out there as much as possible while the body allows

Ian33

Visit site
We have both. A Sealine based in the Solent and a small motorhome. We use the motorhome mainly in France and Spain. One reason for this is because UK campsite operators generally expect visitors to book beforehand and another is the weather. We prefer to arrive somewhere and have a look around. If we like what we see we stay, if we don't we move on. In addition, if the weather looks better 300 miles away then we can just go there. We sometimes take a ferry to France and then decide where to go. I think that for UK use a caravan is more suitable than a motorhome because many UK campsites are some distance from shops, restaurants etc and having a car available is very useful. We do take a 2.9m inflatable & 9.8HP outboard with us in the motorhome.
If I had to give one or other up I think I would retain the motorhome because of the flexibility to go wherever you please and it costs a lot less!.

Sunny265

Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience - we like to see things when we travel and it is stories like this that have contributed to us holding back on getting a motor home.
And driving along at 50mph and that’s on a motorway!
I live on the top end of the Peak District and apart the lyca clad boys clogging the road up, once past them, you meet Wilfred doing slightly more in the shell van.
like wide loads, they should only be allowed to travel at night…

Greg2

Visit site
And driving along at 50mph and that’s on a motorway!
I live on the top end of the Peak District and apart the lyca clad boys clogging the road up, once past them, you meet Wilfred doing slightly more in the shell van.
like wide loads, they should only be allowed to travel at night…
I grew up in the Peaks and was there last weekend to see family - the number of people visiting has increased exponentially it appears!

Bouba

Visit site
I grew up in the Peaks and was there last weekend to see family - the number of people visiting has increased exponentially it appears!
Everyone is driving everywhere because cars are going to be outlawed soon

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Some very interesting views. I think the combination of a small Motorhome and a decent sized sib like the Honwave T38 ie 2 or 3 make a lovely combo. For those that don’t frequent the lounge much here is a little video of our recent trip

Blueboatman

Visit site
I also have a caravan (well 2 actually I surpose) and a Micro camper and about 4 tents :) :ROFLMAO: :oops: . Why well I dont know I just liked them
I don’t know if you’ve ever tried kayaking or …. Sailing
I have a beautiful proper two part aluminium nesting rowing/outboard/sailing dinghy which fits on a boat effortlessly , a roof rack or in or on top of a small trailer
Gets you afloat in silence .. which can be nice too sometimes.

I love it and it’s versatility

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I have a beautiful proper two part aluminium nesting rowing/outboard/sailing dinghy which fits on a boat effortlessly , a roof rack or in or on top of a small trailer

I certainly do like kayaking. This is currently what we tend to use.

or

if we want one each

Sunny265

Visit site

I look back with fondness on my raggie days as part of a crew on a Westerley Storm🙂

However, even then, my heart always leaned towards a motor boat. Sailing is great if you have loads of time and don’t mind working alongside the tides to get anywhere.

Blueboatman

Visit site
I look back with fondness on my raggie days as part of a crew on a Westerley Storm🙂

However, even then, my heart always leaned towards a motor boat. Sailing is great if you have loads of time and don’t mind working alongside the tides to get anywhere.
What I learnt is that in van terms the uks N E W and S coasts are but a few hours apart ..and on one of them the chances are that the weather will be rather nice ..

I don’t mind sailing in rubbish weather- and I was lucky enough my last boat was a Rustler 36 so tough enough and three days in the woody cabin all toasty and bookshelves n all while awaiting better weather to come through was a doddle, it can be quite exhilarating sailing in windier conditions in an ok boat…

But….then being mugged by some chump asking for £40 to tie off on a manky buoy or £15 on one’s own anchor.. night after night gets to feeling silly 😄

It’s not the rip off, it’s the continual rip off!

Kinda takes the edge off the yachting experience in this country I feel.

Last edited:

Parabolica

Visit site
It all depends upon your usage and point of view. I have a very large (43’) American motorhome (2 bed, 2 bathrooms), large galley, lounge and dining area too. It’s really beautiful (we’re lucky), and we use it for motorsport events (i raced cars a few years ago and now my son races karts), and it really is a home from home. But its for a purpose as no part of touring the UK interests me personally even though we’ve taken the RV the length and breadth of the country.

Similarly, when i looked at boating again In 2021, looking at a V65 in Chichester and a Windy in Lymington, i quickly realised that UK boating wasn’t for me either.

So, if i have to compare, then ignoring cost which is way higher for boating of course then boating in the Med will win everytime over motorhoming anywhere. But as said, it’s very much a personal choice.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
It all depends upon your usage and point of view. I have a very large (43’) American motorhome (2 bed, 2 bathrooms), large galley, lounge and dining area too. It’s really beautiful (we’re lucky), and we use it for motorsport events (i raced cars a few years ago and now my son races karts), and it really is a home from home. But its for a purpose as no part of touring the UK interests me personally even though we’ve taken the RV the length and breadth of the country.

Similarly, when i looked at boating again In 2021, looking at a V65 in Chichester and a Windy in Lymington, i quickly realised that UK boating wasn’t for me either.

So, if i have to compare, then ignoring cost which is way higher for boating of course then boating in the Med will win everytime over motorhoming anywhere. But as said, it’s very much a personal choice.

You kit is about 3 times the size of mini lol 😆