Can fluorescent tube fixtures be repaired?

Visit site
It is getting dark in the engine room... Two light fixtures with 2x T8 fluorescent light tubes. So not that much light to begin with. This morning one fixture had blackened completely. The other one have been weak for some time and habitualy kills of tubes. I have checked the tubes, and made sure that there is voltage past the on switch. Is there something to be done here or do I have to find some new fixtures?

IMG_9723 – stort.jpeg

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
It is getting dark in the engine room... Two light fixtures with 2x T8 fluorescent light tubes. So not that much light to begin with. This morning one fixture had blackened completely. The other one have been weak for some time and habitualy kills of tubes. I have checked the tubes, and made sure that there is voltage past the on switch. Is there something to be done here or do I have to find some new fixtures?

View attachment 156834
Convert to LED!
You don't say what is blackened and the picture doesn't show much. I assume they are 12 volt. lack of info. Again!

Visit site
Convert to LED!
You don't say what is blackened and the picture doesn't show much. I assume they are 12 volt. lack of info. Again!
I said the fixture had blackened. What I was trying to say was that it is no longer giving out light. They are 12V. Didnt think voltage mattered much in terms of "fixability".

Remove all of the components in the fitting and install some LED strip. You can fit as many strips as you want, to get the level of light you desire.

led strip for sale | eBay
That is a great idea! These tubes are becoming very outdated anyway.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
In this application I would use cool white to get the brightest light

In my cockpit and saloon I used warm white for a less stark white.

I also fitted a on off on witch to allow both white or red lights to sane night vision.

At nov station warn white only to allow colours to be seen correctly

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
I said the fixture had blackened. What I was trying to say was that it is no longer giving out light. They are 12V. Didnt think voltage mattered much in terms of "fixability".

That is a great idea! These tubes are becoming very outdated anyway.
OK, Understand, that sounds like degradation of the tubes common with these type of fittings. As Paul and I have said convert to LED. An alternative to strips as suggested by Paul is replacement LED tubes ( Type "LED tubes" in your search engine) , toss of a coin really both require rewiring. Good luck!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
In this application I would use cool white to get the brightest light

In my cockpit and saloon I used warm white for a less stark white.

I also fitted a on off on witch to allow both white or red lights to sane night vision.

At nov station warn white only to allow colours to be seen correctly

As you say, warm white gives better visibility of colours. Some cool whites are very blue-ish, and I've struggled on occasion to make out what I needed to see on engine and electrics type jobs when using cheap LED lights, so if/when I fit engine compartment lighting Ill be tempted to go for warm white. If I need more light, I'll get more lumens. But each to their own.

NickRobinson

Visit site
I've been updating my camper's and boats to leds for a while. Remove the flouro circuitry and glue gun the leds as the heat is minimal.
wyB25un6rzwUmt76AtpwAnOCOSXRhDBw_4Hl659wv8wTvJUc8flTsoVvaRGBAe3g0L4HFJ9zPsSuf2u2UhKEvuPKChojO6IZaUk3BbMo_PrReyrTEIQr_x4uLCpjOZlSlLsCde8n1s9_4sjo7B3lV_Kwgmk5Xny1V1EG3nqMsYSBcHjz6Fan0UFz8LWrJeaJr8_qh9TABSPNoRDoP-yfb00Vvr3fnHtKXY4z_gP2WJhRRsGInC959Ue5jaUX5SoEjpk192l5UzB8MngjhOFpE0ptvQOFpW-gvXLGCvMfM72XUxC9J8niShb4SOzaq0F2WmncpSNIV_DETFQ4pydZHvinsobwDqIlQqhypZUvJiUMsfNzhXv6chlklCLPuKP71nZaGnFwvlTfreDFbfLEHLLqKILot8bJ7bFM1_HcvA2iUEU6HuMmbKQr-g_HPsCSBTkTxhVd1Yrbl8fodRMHYnQIYmx3wlChCctqVxyz3mwGLJnJZ5w8WnCWrY7MaQ2H2VRSuNpDmVWGRWFgjwWYD_O2h803aBjoNx7IUT3IeUfvmivosmrEHLxTHK9QvJnAkoD7kHCD9fX1SZ9I937j7eJOQSkiuSre-Y8G8ZkVJVkMRH5nnRpU0Bd5Az8AjNykVifoj4d7tFJuIH2diREUeJoxYc3ct9gZ2FleIeCyuyl78ORZA41aGl7S1QukwZkS21HlJXqi3ANOyHQbB2j5H2SqbfF2zW-bsQ8b3qbwrSxC1cIkMDPfsamCLjhX3v_k_PdqGb3pDOkDJjm3cQ6jLX6V_NLw5EFPzMWnOmns3JA7Oew5uH5UhwtanTbBSVcu_EiuSISi7IUr6q3t9KMpdiAJ04LyW7_VKXAipK7QNl-5xFll0ufwCqn7ACQoV4EdjHFZcLThO5_Iq9UdUyQGy0FX9OGjzQ3Hr9bbwvuLz5VFk2bUHVa_-mp363jwPUTUqc-OgoNPDLn1lEVEqz8=w820-h615-s-no

rogerthebodger

Visit site
As you say, warm white gives better visibility of colours. Some cool whites are very blue-ish, and I've struggled on occasion to make out what I needed to see on engine and electrics type jobs when using cheap LED lights, so if/when I fit engine compartment lighting Ill be tempted to go for warm white. If I need more light, I'll get more lumens. But each to their own.
I agree I have also combined warn white and cool white either both together or on a changeover switch.

I have also combined warn white and red on cockpit lights.

Combine of leds can give you the colour that suites you

You can also get multi colour LEDs

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've also fitted an led strip in my engine bay, fixed to a wooden batten with cable ties then screwed to the lid. Operated by a push switch on the lid. Works very well.

William_H

Visit site
The problem with the old flourescent fittings on 12v and on a boat is that thye use a transformer to switch 12v volts up to a hundred or more to drive the diecharge of the tube. The transformer uses very fine wire and many turns which just invites corrosion from moist air. Though more eficient than incandescent they are less efficient than LED. I just love these things very bright and cheap. 10pcs High Power LED Lamp Light COB SMD Bulb Chip DIY 10W 20W 50W 100W 12V-36V | eBay ol'will

Bilgediver

Visit site

View attachment 156834

They can if you find the parts but better to look for 12 volt LED tubes . They will be found from many suppliers and will operate without the electronics and consume less power.

Tinto

Visit site
OK, Understand, that sounds like degradation of the tubes common with these type of fittings. As Paul and I have said convert to LED. An alternative to strips as suggested by Paul is replacement LED tubes ( Type "LED tubes" in your search engine) , toss of a coin really both require rewiring. Good luck!
I would not recommend LED tubes which are replacements for fluorescent tubes. They are banned in Sweden as an electrician did what all electricians do which was, put one end in when it’s on, then feel for the pin orientation at the other end, and sadly it killed him. Best to swap out for a new luminaire if your diffuser has blackened

Ok, it’s only 12V in this case and not 230V AC but it’s not a habit to be getting into. Dedicated led fittings with optics to suit the light source are a better option.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I would not recommend LED tubes which are replacements for fluorescent tubes. They are banned in Sweden as an electrician did what all electricians do which was, put one end in when it’s on, then feel for the pin orientation at the other end, and sadly it killed him. Best to swap out for a new luminaire if your diffuser has blackened
I can't imagine how someone would get killed by 12v DC.