Chemiphase engine degreaser?

jamie N

Visit site
The engine bay and bilge on my boat really need a good clean whilst the boat's going to be laid up at home this winter, so I was considering using this product.
Has anyone of us had any experience with it?

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Phew! I thought you had a Chimpanzee Engine Degreaser. Just add nuts and release in engine space.

I think any of the proprietary degreasing, soap products will suitable.

Post refit, I used hot water and Bilgex, after hot water and washing up liquid, it worked well.

jamie N

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, however I'm drawn to making this concoction, which I stumbled across in the ether:
"A DIY engine degreaser is simple to mix. The amount you want determines how much of each ingredient you use. However, most people fill a spray bottle with the solution to clean their engines. Mix 1 cup of distilled white vinegar, 1/4 cup soap, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, and a couple drops of lemon juice/essential oils. Combine all of these in a bowl and add water.

This combines to create a spray to coat your engine. However, some people prefer a thicker vinegar engine degreaser. If so, add more soap and baking soda to the mixture."

Stemar

Visit site
During some recent engine work, I got some of this from Halfords

It worked extremely well, so I'll be keeping some on board in the future.

One tip when cleaning an engine bay: wear some heavy gloves. I didn't and got a finger sliced open by a rough bit of GRP twice. The second time, I ended up at an urgent care centre to get a 10mm long shard of grp removed.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Thanks for the replies, however I'm drawn to making this concoction, which I stumbled across in the ether:
"A DIY engine degreaser is simple to mix. The amount you want determines how much of each ingredient you use. However, most people fill a spray bottle with the solution to clean their engines. Mix 1 cup of distilled white vinegar, 1/4 cup soap, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, and a couple drops of lemon juice/essential oils. Combine all of these in a bowl and add water.

This combines to create a spray to coat your engine. However, some people prefer a thicker vinegar engine degreaser. If so, add more soap and baking soda to the mixture."
Hang on, that recipe doesn't make sense. You're putting vinegar and baking soda in the same mix. All that will happen is a big fizz as the vinegar is neutralized by the baking soda! The final result will basically just be soap and lemon juice with sodium acetate. Sodium acetate has no particular cleaning virtues that I know of!

jamie N

Visit site
Well I never, I'd never imagined that'd be the case!
The search goes on, but will probably be 'one' of the above suggestions.
Thanks again.