Deadeye - Death at the Classic Regatta

jezjez

Visit site
Dear lovely East coasters, from the sanctuary of the river Deben, I have written a sailing novel that very kind people say is good. It’s available on Amazon by Jez Evans, I hope that this doesn’t contravene the rules to mention it but I could do with some readers and a 5-star review or two. (Or whatever you think worthy)
Thank you 🙏 if you are able to check it out. I hope you like it, and, if you read it, it’s set in the Caribbean in some of the sunshine we’ve been missing this year.

fredrussell

Visit site
The best way to get favourable reviews from YBW forum members is to devote a minimum of 5 chapters to how the protagonist selected their anchor, and at least a couple more chapters should be devoted to rode length, chain type and electric vs manual windlass. The last three chapters can deal with the plot if you’re a stickler for such things, but only if it doesn’t detract too much from the more serious business of ground tackle and its deployment.

jezjez

Visit site
Ha! Agreed. There is discussion about the best way to store marine paint and the advantages of wooden yachts over GRP, plus a murder which does slow down the pros and cons of internal headroom in a small yacht argument that goes with it but you can’t have it all.

jezjez

Visit site
Funny you should say that, I did include the Deben entrance in another novel called Offshore. I gave that one a full-on re-write recently because it desperately needed it. And for anyone who did read Offshore, the ending is now 249,000 times better, I promise. (It is also true to say that it couldn’t have been any worse).

jezjez

Visit site
A real cliffhanger would include the Deben entrance plus the old Seagull outboard on my dad’s boat from when we were kids.
I learned to pray on Sundays, but not at church

harvey38

Visit site
The best way to get favourable reviews from YBW forum members is to devote a minimum of 5 chapters to how the protagonist selected their anchor, and at least a couple more chapters should be devoted to rode length, chain type and electric vs manual windlass. The last three chapters can deal with the plot if you’re a stickler for such things, but only if it doesn’t detract too much from the more serious business of ground tackle and its deployment.
And the absolute requirement to gain critical acclaim is to discuss the virtues of at least one radio check, preferably early on to engage with the reader.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Affronted of West Coast (Bristol). Have bought on Kindle 😀 Will read in the Baltic next month.
Have you read my travelogue? I was the results officer for the Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta in 2011. On a sadder note one of my students and his new wife were murdered there in 2008

jezjez

Visit site
I’m very sorry to hear about your students.
My writing teacher was murdered here in the UK last year by her husband. There’s still a shocking amount of violence in the world.
Thank you so much for trying the book. I really hope you like it. Someone who lived in Antigua told me she recognised the place in the book. Phew.
And have a great trip. Where are you going?

jezjez

Visit site
I can’t imagine anyone giving away the secrets of Riddle of the Sands - it’s the ultimate sailor’s mystery. A must read!
But if you must know, it’s all about the Germans pre-war and what they might just do…

Bob@SYH

Visit site
To save me reading it can you tell me what the answer to the riddle was? I love riddles me, but I can seldom do them.
I believe it was this... (or perhaps it was an old episode of Batman with Adam West)

Q: There are two men on a boat with three cigarettes but no matches... how do each of them get to smoke?

A; They throw one cigarette overboard, making the boat a cigarette lighter

flaming

Visit site
Funny you should say that, I did include the Deben entrance in another novel called Offshore. I gave that one a full-on re-write recently because it desperately needed it. And for anyone who did read Offshore, the ending is now 249,000 times better, I promise. (It is also true to say that it couldn’t have been any worse).
According to my Kindle I have read Offshore. Even reading the synopsis though, I can't remember it at all...

Sorry about that.....

jezjez

Visit site
Talking of wooden yachts -
My dad was a boatbuilder and I grew up sailing a Broads boat on the Deben. Lady was twenty-eight feet long, gaff rigged and I could stand up inside her until I was about four. We had a bucket in the cockpit for luxury looing.
Youngsters these days don’t know they’re born