Do I need my own boat yet?

billett

Visit site
Hi all,

Obviously yes I always need to have my own boat because why not right?

Unfortunately I'm not at that stage just yet. My question comes as I'm starting the RYA cert path for motor cruising. One of the requirements for the Day Skipper course is 5 days, 100 miles and 4 night hours onboard a motor cruiser.

What's the best way to get this experience before earning on the course without having my own boat?

Thanks

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I may be wrong but I am reading into this that you may think a 5 day course is a little too much at the moment
There is a two day RYA powerboat level 2 course which will allow you to obtain an ICC (international cert of competence) which is what you need for EU boat hiring which is a great way to get experience in the sun in warm water.
(Too many “whiches” in that paragraph but you get my drift)

simonfraser

Visit site
you're bound to change your first mobo relatively soon, so pick something 'simple' at first
and use that when weather calm etc, best way to learn, dont forget the kill chord ...

billett

Visit site
I may be wrong but I am reading into this that you may think a 5 day course is a little too much at the moment
There is a two day RYA powerboat level 2 course which will allow you to obtain an ICC (international cert of competence) which is what you need for EU boat hiring which is a great way to get experience in the sun in warm water.
The 5 days/100 days I believe is the requirement to have before taking the course. I've looked at the powerboat 2 course and plan to take it soon. I'm not sure this will give me the require overnight hours?

Thalassa76

Visit site
Hi all,

Obviously yes I always need to have my own boat because why not right?

Unfortunately I'm not at that stage just yet. My question comes as I'm starting the RYA cert path for motor cruising. One of the requirements for the Day Skipper course is 5 days, 100 miles and 4 night hours onboard a motor cruiser.

What's the best way to get this experience before earning on the course without having my own boat?

Thanks
Is there a RYA Comp Crew for motor as there is for sail?

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Don't worry too much about the pre-requisites for a DS course. I did mine many, many years ago with almost zero experience and it was fine. If I were an instructor doing a DS practical course I think I would rather the participants had the theory certificate under their belt, rather than practical experience.

Alicatt

Visit site
The 5 days/100 days I believe is the requirement to have before taking the course. I've looked at the powerboat 2 course and plan to take it soon. I'm not sure this will give me the require overnight hours?
There is also the Powerboat Advanced course which gives some night instruction during the course, I thought about it a month ago as there was availability, I didn't as I felt I had not had enough practice yet.

PlanB

Visit site
I did my DS practical with five days own boat tuition which included at least 100 miles, plus one night passage of 4 hours plus.
If you haven't got your boat yet, you obviously can't do that. However, there will be courses which include five days liveaboard.
There is one in Puerto de la Duquesa, in Spain.

ylop

Visit site
One of the requirements for the Day Skipper course is 5 days, 100 miles and 4 night hours onboard a motor cruiser.
Are you sure? The RYA "leaflet" for the DS Motor Cruising course says 2 days + Theory at DS Level. Those sound like the DS sail requirements?
Is there a RYA Comp Crew for motor as there is for sail?
You can do:
  • Start Motor Cruising (1 day)
  • Helmsman's Practical Course (2 days)
Many schools will offer "mile builder" options for people trying to build experience for YM and should be able to accommodate a keen beginner.

Powerboat Advanced course
Depending on your plans - once you've done that DS may be irrelevant.

Gustywinds

Visit site
You don't need this to hire, the hire company is responsible for ensuring you are competent (with half an hour's training!).
You do need the ICC if you are bringing your own boat. I am doing one next week (I have hired 4 times in the past) then planning the Day Skipper course in my own boat when I get it.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
You don't need this to hire, the hire company is responsible for ensuring you are competent (with half an hour's training!).
You do need the ICC if you are bringing your own boat. I am doing one next week (I have hired 4 times in the past) then planning the Day Skipper course in my own boat when I get it.
Interesting, I wonder if this applies to all EU hire companies
eg
Frequently asked questions about boat hire in Menorca | Boat Charter Menorca - Boat Charter Menorca

Bouba

Visit site
Yes, this is true...but for inland waters only (canal, rivers etc)...for renting a boat on the coast you will need the French permis côtier (except 5hp and below)....but I recommend doing the French permit côtier (coastal license)...there are plenty of schools who do it in English, it’s roughly a week and €500....no final exam any more all assessed by the school. Make a holiday of it...choose a nice location on the Med or Atlantic

Alicatt

Visit site
In Germany you need a licence to hire/use a boat on their water either coastal or inland.
In Holland and Belgium, no licence required to hire a boat, restricted to inland waterways, you can use a boat up to 15m as long as it cannot go faster than 20km/h, there is a maximum power limit too but I can't recall it off hand and the Po0litie Regulations are on the boat just now. In Holland if you own the boat you have to have a licence, in Belgium it's the 15m/ 20km/h rule that applies, so loads of boats at the 11m - 14m that don't go faster than 20km/h.

ylop

Visit site
I’ve never heard of, or experienced, a boat charter that didn’t require the ICC. Inland waterways / canal boat hire excepted but that’s not much use for day skipper.
Experience from Norfolk Broads or Loch Ness / Caledonian canal cruising would be fairly relevant to day skipper. I believe will rent to you with just a car driving license. Even classic Narrowboat holidays actually provide some experience that is relevant to motor cruising: controlling speed, using ropes, communicating with crew, dealing with other vessels etc.