Dutch canals - your advice please: ATIS, BPR, channel 31

LiftyK

Visit site
Before I set off for The Netherlands this summer I've read all threads mentioning ATIS for the last ten years and still have some questions. Thanks for your advice.

ATIS
My main VHF radio does not have DSC but works perfectly. In the UK my handheld VHF has DSC. My plan was to enable ATIS on my handheld radio for use in The Netherlands but I now learn that Ofcom clearly states that ATIS cannot be used on a handheld radio. I really don't want to buy a new fixed DSC radio just for this trip (which will be in company of other boats for safety).
- Can I 'legally' listen out (channel 10) but not transmit on my main non-DSC non-ATIS radio?
- Failing that, is it OK to tour the canals with the VHF switched off?

Channel 31

I learn that marinas in The Netherlands use this channel but in the UK it is reserved for the RNLI. As neither of my radios can use ATIS, I can't use channel 31anyway. My understanding is that where required many locations have a dedicated phone to call bridges else I can use a mobile phone (data only to avoid roaming charges), or buy a local SIM. I also read that checking in to a marina often means talking to the marina staff hanging out of their window. The sounds highly practical.
- Do marinas tend to use WhatsApp, so I can call via my included data roaming allowance?

Binnenvaart Ploitie Reglement (BPR)

It seems I have to carry a copy of this Dutch language document onboard. I have a downloaded copy. After much searching I cannot find if the onboard copy can be electronic or if it has to be on paper. After a chat with the RYA this morning we were still not sure but agreed that printing the downloaded document of >100 pages would be a safe option.
- Will it satisfy the authorities in The Netherlands to keep the BPR on board in electronic form?

I appreciate that in practice it is unlikely that the authorities willl be searching my boat for all-round compliance but anyway I'd like to make the effort to try to comply.

Last edited:

Laminar Flow

Visit site
We spent 5 years in NL. We bought a copy of the BPR in our first port, as advised by our Dutch neighbour. Nobody ever asked to see it.

You may not pump sewage overboard, they are borderline psychotic in that respect. We got ourselves a Porta Potti to comply.

We never called ahead to make reservations at a marina. They always found a spot for us, even in high season. Often there is a Meldesteiger or reception ponton, where you tie up first and are then assigned a berth. Extremely popular ports, such as on Vlieland can fill up during the Summer, but the Dutch have the same problem and quite literally, book months in advance.

I frankly cannot remember calling up a bridge or lock to request passage. The keeper sees you coming and your intent is pretty obvious. If you show up during lunch time, there are usually places to tie up while you wait. They have signage at bridges and locks for information.

In regards to your VHF, I am not aware of any special regulations, other that you need to be qualified to operate and the boat needs a station license. Use the lower transmission setting inshore, no need to inform all of Friesland that you are requesting bridge passage on the Princess Magriet.

Plum

Visit site
Channel 31
I learn that marinas in The Netherlands use this channel but in the UK it is reserved for the RNLI. As neither of my radios can use ATIS, I can't use channel 31anyway. My understanding is that where required many locations have a dedicated phone to call bridges else I can use a mobile phone (data only to avoid roaming charges), or buy a local SIM. I also read that checking in to a marina often means talking to the marina staff hanging out of their window. The sounds highly practical.
- Do marinas tend to use WhatsApp, so I can call via my included data roaming allowance?
The Netherlands use duplex channel 31 for Marinas. The RNLI use simplex channel 31 and if you use this you will be able to call a NL marina but you will not hear them. If you are going to bother with 31 make sure you have duplex channel 31

Plum

Visit site
Binnenvaart Ploitie Reglement (BPR)
It seems I have to carry a copy of this Dutch language document onboard. I have a downloaded copy. After much searching I cannot find if the onboard copy can be electronic or if it has to be on paper. After a chat with the RYA this morning we were still not sure but agreed that printing the downloaded document of >100 pages would be a safe option.
- Will it satisfy the authorities in The Netherlands to keep the BPR on board in electronic form?

I appreciate that in practice it is unlikely that the authorities willl be searching my boat for all-round compliance but anyway I'd like to make the effort to try to comply.
I've just been looking at this too and on this website https://varendoejesamen.nl/kenniscentrum/artikel/download-het-binnenvaartpolitiereglement-bpr it says:

"BPR mandatory on board
It is mandatory for every ship (with the exception of open ships) to have an updated copy on board within the scope of the Inland Shipping Police Regulations (BPR). This can be a printed version (in book form), but a digital version (smartphone app or PDF) is also permitted. There are (free) apps available for download with the complete BPR.

Download BPR for free
A condition for using a digital version of the BPR is that it can be consulted at any time. In other words, download to a mobile device first. Consulting on the internet does not fall under 'at any time' because it requires an internet connection. You sail together! now offers the most recent version of the BPR (2017 to present) as a PDF for free on the website, for download!"

LiftyK

Visit site
I've just been looking at this too and on this website https://varendoejesamen.nl/kenniscentrum/artikel/download-het-binnenvaartpolitiereglement-bpr it says:

"BPR mandatory on board
It is mandatory for every ship (with the exception of open ships) to have an updated copy on board within the scope of the Inland Shipping Police Regulations (BPR). This can be a printed version (in book form), but a digital version (smartphone app or PDF) is also permitted. There are (free) apps available for download with the complete BPR.

Download BPR for free
A condition for using a digital version of the BPR is that it can be consulted at any time. In other words, download to a mobile device first. Consulting on the internet does not fall under 'at any time' because it requires an internet connection. You sail together! now offers the most recent version of the BPR (2017 to present) as a PDF for free on the website, for download!"
A perfect answer. Thank you so much.

Bilgediver

Visit site
You might be missing the point regarding ATIS. If you enable ATIS while in foreign waters it will be of no concern to Ofcom providing you disable it when in areas it is not required. You will be complying g with local rules if enabled in Europe. Just check you are transmitting the correct number.

johnalison

Visit site
You might be missing the point regarding ATIS. If you enable ATIS while in foreign waters it will be of no concern to Ofcom providing you disable it when in areas it is not required. You will be complying g with local rules if enabled in Europe. Just check you are transmitting the correct number.
My handheld has three modes, UK, USA, and ATIS which I can switch between, meaning that I don’t have to annoy the UK authorities when at home.

Re the above answers, I have occasionally needed to call bridges, though it is true that the great majority don’t require it. Some bridges actually have a system for calling the bridge at the waiting pontoon. I don’t think I have ever called ahead to a Dutch marina. Even in very busy ones like the Sixhaven it is a matter of first come first served.

MoodySabre

Visit site
I had my handheld programmed for ATIS but only used it once when I broke down in a lock.
At the first marina you go to there will probably be a free guide setting out all the marina phone numbers, fuel locations etc.
As said above, just turn up as there is usually a HM pontoon. I’ve never booked.

LiftyK

Visit site
Aha. The point being that Ofcom do not like ATIS on handhelds but is OK abroad, so I can switch. That will be perfect. Thank you for suggesting this.

LiftyK

Visit site
My handheld has three modes, UK, USA, and ATIS which I can switch between, meaning that I don’t have to annoy the UK authorities when at home.

Re the above answers, I have occasionally needed to call bridges, though it is true that the great majority don’t require it. Some bridges actually have a system for calling the bridge at the waiting pontoon. I don’t think I have ever called ahead to a Dutch marina. Even in very busy ones like the Sixhaven it is a matter of first come first served.
This, plus the advice from Bilgediver, is exactly my scenario. With U.K. authorities pacified, as I will not use an ATIS handheld VHF radio in the U.K., what ATIS number do I transmit? I have read conflicting views:
- put a 9 in front of my MMSI
- use the MMSI as is

What is your experience please?

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. It has been invaluable to help me cast off in peace and tranquility when the time comes.

Plum

Visit site
This, plus the advice from Bilgediver, is exactly my scenario. With U.K. authorities pacified, as I will not use an ATIS handheld VHF radio in the U.K., what ATIS number do I transmit? I have read conflicting views:
- put a 9 in front of my MMSI
- use the MMSI as is

What is your experience please?

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. It has been invaluable to help me cast off in peace and tranquility when the time comes.
You have to go to the Ofcom site Ofcom licensing portal for aircraft, amateur and ships radio and update your licence to include ATIS and you will then be given your formal ATIS number. If you just put it into your VHF without your licence amendment, should you transmit with ATIS while in the Netherlands, your digital identification may show up to the authorities as unidentified which may make them suspicious.

At the same time you can amend your licence to record that you have(?) channel 31, then you can print off your updated licence so you can show the Dutch authorities should they visit you. This is what I have done.

You do not need to show that your handheld vhf has DSC.....

Bilgediver

Visit site
You have to go to the Ofcom site Ofcom licensing portal for aircraft, amateur and ships radio and update your licence to include ATIS and you will then be given your formal ATIS number. If you just put it into your VHF without your licence amendment, should you transmit with ATIS while in the Netherlands, your digital identification may show up to the authorities as unidentified which may make them suspicious.

At the same time you can amend your licence to record that you have(?) channel 31, then you can print off your updated licence so you can show the Dutch authorities should they visit you. This is what I have done.

You do not need to show that your handheld vhf has DSC.....

Channel 31 is not normally activated in radios sold in the UK however some Yaesu radios and maybe other makes do have it fitted. To activate it you have to follow instructions that came with the radio and change it from UK Channels to the European country you are in.I believe not all are identical. Don't forget to change back to UK when you return

l

ianc1200

Visit site
You may not pump sewage overboard, they are borderline psychotic in that respect. We got ourselves a Porta Potti to comply.

I found this interesting. I understood this to be the case too. We have a Cornish Crabber with a porta potti and had been considering taking it to Holland. But recently we have thought about buying a motorboat in Holland & had been looking at adverts. Several of the older Dutch steel motorboats have sea toilets which clearly discharge overboard and have no holding tanks. The boats we are looking at are called "Doeraks", with a transom at the front, and could only be used on their smaller inland waterways, which is our intention. I have a Dutch shipwright lady working for me and she says it's acceptable for older craft which cannot accommodate holding tanks. I can't image discharging toilets into remote very small canals in northern Friesland with no flow, so have wondered whether true or not.

DanTribe

Visit site
On our earlier trips we found that many pump out stations did not work. When we asked what the locals did, we got shrugs and "don't ask".
Much better on recent trips Marrekrite have installed several floating solar powered pump outs in Friesland.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
I found this interesting. I understood this to be the case too. We have a Cornish Crabber with a porta potti and had been considering taking it to Holland. But recently we have thought about buying a motorboat in Holland & had been looking at adverts. Several of the older Dutch steel motorboats have sea toilets which clearly discharge overboard and have no holding tanks. The boats we are looking at are called "Doeraks", with a transom at the front, and could only be used on their smaller inland waterways, which is our intention. I have a Dutch shipwright lady working for me and she says it's acceptable for older craft which cannot accommodate holding tanks. I can't image discharging toilets into remote very small canals in northern Friesland with no flow, so have wondered whether true or not.
Well, it might be somewhat tricky to argue that or how, a beamy, pram-bowed and 35' long motorboat cannot accommodate a holding tank, even if it has to be retrofitted.
You can, supposedly, get away with fitting a plastic bag over the existing heads under the assumption that you will be dropping off the contents at the next facility.
Friends of ours had the pleasure of an inspection, but and to be sure, that was also before the UK Government decided to incinerate much of the mainland's collective good will.

Alicatt

Visit site

As does my radio, mine is re-programmed for Belgium and the VDES requirement, slightly different radio channels available here compared with The Netherlands, and different again from Germany.
A lot of the sluisen/locks and brug/bridges are operated by a radio call, a majority of them are unmanned and radio is the only way to open them, In Belgium they like you to have AIS on your boat as that helps the central monitoring and control of the locks to operate more efficiently.
Another thing is that as of 1/1/24 in Belgium all radios must comply with the new channels and power requirements around the VDES not sure when The Netherlands is implementing it, there has been a mad scramble here to get radios re-programmed, while I could do it myself for the Standard Horizon HX890E handheld, my fixed GX2400 requires reprogramming by a dealer.

The Binnenvaart Ploitie Reglement can be downloaded each year.
I then run it through Google translate and save it .
Aye, but the copy you have onboard must be in Dutch

Plum

Visit site
Hi. You will either have to invest in a holding tank or these will fit the usual Jabsco heads pan https://www.amazon.co.uk/Commode-Liners-Absorbent-Toilet-Bucket/dp/B0BB69WGZ7 then no need to search for pumpout or portapoti emptying facility.