Eberspacher Airtronic D4: overheating sensor keeps failing

rui.alheiro

Visit site
Hi,
After a few years using my Airtronic D4 without any problem, it stopped working completely.

I did all possible tests (I don't have a Diagnosis unit, just a basic mini-controller) that are on the manual:
- Check the harness connections
- check voltage
- did a full maintenance of the chambers (everything is cleaned, new gastkets, new filters, new mesh) and the system looks as good as new
- forced heating function short-circuiting the controller
- forced ventilation-only function also short-circuiting the controller
- tested the fuel pump resistance
- I borrowed a 801 controller so I could read the fault codes, but I was getting no error at all, even whenI forced an erro, like unplugging the fuel pump, so I was told I needed to buy a new ECU.

I bought one and the problem persisted.

After reading again the manual I realized I hadn't tested the flame/overheating sensor. :-(
and indeed the overheating sensor was giving a open circuit (the flame sensor was ok).

I changed it I the system worked perfectly for 2 days. And then same problem again: open circuit overheating sensor.

So now I had a new sensor (that solved the problem for 2 days until it got damaged again) connected to a new ECU (with nothing in between to damage the sensor that I think of).

What could be the problem? Any ideas?
I could buy a other sensor, but chances are that it will have the same outcome...

I'm currently in New Zealand and I haven't found yet proper technical support for this equipments.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Rui

Bobc

Visit site
My advice would be to ditch it and fit a Chinese heater.

I had no end of problems with my D4 and spent hundreds on it. I eventually got fed up and replaced it with a £100 Chinese unit, which has been completely trouble-free.

rui.alheiro

Visit site
Hi Jamie,

That's indeed a possibility, but having spent money in a new ECU and also considering that the unit looks as brand new, I'm not ready to give up yet.

But it's definitely a possibility.

BR,
Rui