Encore...

veshengro

Visit site
My little 18'. 6" drop keel boat is still on her trailer in the Boat Yard where she's been all winter. Now this not a Marble paved Billiard Table like Solent yard, it's rural, lumpy and bumpy and at night the haunt of Rabbits..So my boat sits at a wonky angle and as a result water has collected in an almost inaccessible part of the bilge obstructed by the keel housing. But..by lifting a side berth locker lid and adopting a position that is a mix of page 3 of Yoga for Beginners and position 18 of the Kama Sutra I could just about reach the water with a sponge.
So much water! Dip the sponge, twist aside and pass sponge to left hand and squeeze water into bucket. Pass sponge back, twist and stretch again. Nearly 40 minutes and the bucket is almost full and the bilge practically dry. Using left hand put bucket up on top of keel housing and painfully wriggle upright.
Stand up, tread on step to climb into cockpit and right foot kicks bucket...
Bucket upside down in locker..water back in bilge. 🤣 🤣

Refueler

Visit site
I love the way adverts picture rge drill pump just hanging on the drill ... when I tried that - the pump body tried to turn as well ..

They are best fitted to a board or get the pump that has a locking part of the case that engages with the drill body ..

But yes - they do work !

dancrane

Visit site
Assuming the boat is above the surrounding ground, surely a simple length of hose, filled with water and both ends corked, can have one end uncorked below water in the bottom of the bilge...

...the other end is led (by any route, but avoiding kinking) to a low point on the ground outside, and uncorked...and the siphon effect empties the bilge?

If there's room at the bilge end, it would be preferable to duct-tape the hose inside a small plastic bottle with plenty of small holes in it, so any trash in the bilge doesn't choke the hose.

Refueler

Visit site
Assuming the boat is above the surrounding ground, surely a simple length of hose, filled with water and both ends corked, can have one end uncorked below water in the bottom of the bilge...

...the other end is led (by any route, but avoiding kinking) to a low point on the ground outside, and uncorked...and the siphon effect empties the bilge?

If there's room at the bilge end, it would be preferable to duct-tape the hose inside a small plastic bottle with plenty of small holes in it, so any trash in the bilge doesn't choke the hose.

Thats fine until end comes out of water and you lose the syphon effect ... and the length of hose needed ...

A hand pump Pela works .... simple.

dancrane

Visit site
The Pela is a fine piece of kit I feel sure - although I quite like the £50+ which it costs, staying in my wallet.

In this world of duct tape and plentiful rubber bands, it's not that difficult to keep the end of a hose in place.

Do any old boats not already have 15ft of hose on board? :unsure:

I too spelt 'syphon' with a 'y' until I lately learned that for 150 years, the normal spelling has been 'siphon'. I wonder where we learned differently?

FairweatherDave

Visit site
My pela vacuum oil extractor is also used to remove water for hard to access locations in the bilges. A very useful bit of Kit!
I've mentioned this on previous threads but no-one noticed/replied. When I used my Pela 6000 to suck up sea water from an awkward place the end result was it corroded and blocked the suction pipe (the narrow one (like a brake cable outer) that goes down the dipstick hole for oil changes. And I have not been able to find a replacement from Pela.........use a plastic pipe to suck up water with your Pela. Or tell me a definite source of replacement pipes (in stock) :)

Refueler

Visit site
I've mentioned this on previous threads but no-one noticed/replied. When I used my Pela 6000 to suck up sea water from an awkward place the end result was it corroded and blocked the suction pipe (the narrow one (like a brake cable outer) that goes down the dipstick hole for oil changes. And I have not been able to find a replacement from Pela.........use a plastic pipe to suck up water with your Pela. Or tell me a definite source of replacement pipes (in stock) :)

My Pela pipe - the outer fell apart in places and the inner being basically a coiled spring form ... air went in ...

Solution ? Heat shrink tubing ..... you can buy it in long lengths .... pass wire part through ... shrink and cut of excess.

The tube is actually same as many brake bowden cables on bicycles .... as you already found out ...