First time boat buyer, a few questions, if I may...

kashurst

Visit site
If you are looking at the two boats at Farndon Marina they are - for river purposes pretty similar.
Engine wise they are both petrols although the Pacer has the 4 cylinder and easier to service engine. The engines are both pretty old, some some spares might be getting hard to find too. The stern drives are probably the same or very closely related.
Interior wise, condition from the pics they look similar. Its hard to tell until you get on board though. I wouldn't take either of them to sea. It's a combination of size, age and design.

It can be tempting to go for a boat near home, however around your budget there will be quite a few other choices - with outboards too, so easy to look after. Have you looked at Shetland boats? Very popular for rivers/lakes/ small ones will go down some canals too. I don't know what it costs to put a small boat on a trailer behind a land rover these days but don't discount it as you may find something better further affield. At that size/age outboards are a good choice. Easy to service, fixable, and absolute worst case you can get decent secondhand ones that will readily fit. So as a first boat choice it reduces risks/problems and I think make it easier to sell in future.

Few more thoughts n cruising area:
The trent, humber and ouse have strong currents at flood on the tidal sections.. The thing to do is to time any journeys on the tidal sections to try and go with the flow. Canal boaters often go up and down the tidal sections - they just pick the right tide times. But a bit more power is always welcome.

After the last river trent lock the next place is Torksey Lock, that earlier tidal stretch from memory is pretty straightforward and if I remember pretty. You can go up to Torksey lock, lock in and go along the river Whitham all the way to Lincoln. Depending upon the height above water I think you can carry on to Boston.

Last edited:

ZebraSmasher

Visit site
If you are looking at the two boats at Farndon Marina they are - for river purposes pretty similar.
Engine wise they are both petrols although the Pacer has the 4 cylinder and easier to service engine. The engines are both pretty old, some some spares might be getting hard to find too. The stern drives are probably the same or very closely related.
Interior wise, condition from the pics they look similar. Its hard to tell until you get on board though. I wouldn't take either of them to sea. It's a combination of size, age and design.

It can be tempting to go for a boat near home, however around your budget there will be quite a few other choices - with outboards too, so easy to look after. Have you looked at Shetland boats? Very popular for rivers/lakes/ small ones will go down some canals too. I don't know what it costs to put a small boat on a trailer behind a land rover these days but don't discount it as you may find something better further affield. At that size/age outboards are a good choice. Easy to service, fixable, and absolute worst case you can get decent secondhand ones that will readily fit. So as a first boat choice it reduces risks/problems and I think make it easier to sell in future.

Few more thoughts n cruising area:
The trent, humber and ouse have strong currents at flood on the tidal sections.. The thing to do is to time any journeys on the tidal sections to try and go with the flow. Canal boaters often go up and down the tidal sections - they just pick the right tide times. But a bit more power is always welcome.

After the last river trent lock the next place is Torksey Lock, that earlier tidal stretch from memory is pretty straightforward and if I remember pretty. You can go up to Torksey lock, lock in and go along the river Whitham all the way to Lincoln. Depending upon the height above water I think you can carry on to Boston.
It is indeed very tempting to stay close to home. With so many options, and so much confusion over details, limiting choice to within a mile or two feels like one way of mitigating decision paralysis.

I'll have a look for Shetland boats, I'm not sure it's a name I've come across yet.

Lincoln is certainly on the to-do list. I think initially we'll just pick the routes with the minimal effort. I think we're in a good position though, and it seems like the Trent is a good gateway to further adventures!

Seastoke

Visit site
Zeb if you want to sleep aboard , have a look for a Viking 26 sleeps 6 has cooking and shower on board , powered by outbound there is one for sale near you 17k with 2022 engine so will give you years of trouble free.

Seastoke

Visit site
Here one here. And free delivery

Attachments

• 7EB9191B-5B3B-46AC-853F-D48FAD9F37DE.jpg
    7EB9191B-5B3B-46AC-853F-D48FAD9F37DE.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 14

stelican

Visit site
@Momac, @madabout, @Greg2

Many thanks for the comments. I think that's made my life it a bit easier. I don't know anything about Pace boats, I've never seen them for sale before, so I'm not sure how well they sell here (in the Midlands). The Reflection 23 was a bit bigger and newer than the Sealine, so all things being equal I'd pick that.

I'll certainly ask about service history.
The Reflection 23 was a spin off from Birchwood when they ceased trading.
The instigator was the son in law of Ted Andrews the founder of Birchwood Boats.
Sorry don't have any further info.

ZebraSmasher

Visit site
The Reflection 23 was a spin off from Birchwood when they ceased trading.
The instigator was the son in law of Ted Andrews the founder of Birchwood Boats.
Sorry don't have any further info.
That's interesting, thanks. We all liked the Reflection 23 more than the Sealine, but I'm not sure why. We saw it second (and only a few minutes after the Sealine) so that might be the only reason (and it was a few feet longer).

However, reading the comments, it would seem the Sealine is the better option for several reasons.