Inexperienced crew, yes or no?

Antonio Silva

Visit site
I'm in a dilemma. I've agreed to skipper an inexperienced relative's boat from Coruña to Portimao. The boat has been refurbished up to a point and has been delivered from Gosport to Coruña two weeks ago. We now have a decent weather window after the last storm but the owner wants to take his 15 year old son who has absolutely no experience along. The boat is a good one, a 1983 Jeanneau Sunshine 36 but there are problems. The engine is the original 40 year old Volvo, the rig looks ok but is in need of replacement due to age and the coachroof windows are held in place with tape because the man who fitted them just Sikaflexed them in place instead of using VHB tape as instructed. So, I'm opposed to taking a young boy on a 600 m trip which will keep us far offshore, about 60m, because of the very real threat of Orcas. I don't really trust the engine as well. What should I do? I'm trying to help but the ultimate responsability lies with me, or am I wrong?

KevinV

Visit site
Would you feel differently about it if the owner was the skipper and you were "merely" crew? That way you are helping exactly the same without bearing responsibility.

If on the other hand the whole thing just doesn't feel right then, in my opinion, it won't be right. You start off with misgivings and every challenge confirms your fears. If you start out believing that it'll be fine then those same challenges are all just part of the experience.

Also, your relative might be nervous about taking his noob son aboard without a second grown up around. Not ideal that it's such a long haul straight away - can you do a couple of day sails first?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
The ultimate responsibility does indeed lie with you, as skipper. How well do you know the son (and, indeed, the owner)?

An extra pair of hands is often a boon, but this could easily be outweighed by having to worry about someone who is nervous or panics, or is disobedient, or by having to change plans because they are unwilling to continue the intended journey leg. (And would they be able to get themselves home if they wanted to jump ship at the next port?)

Depending on the personality of the 15 year old, and also how it pans out, this could for them be a fantastic adventure - perhaps even the journey of a lifetime - or a nightmare, and for you the former would be a joy and the latter a nightmare for you, too.

Consider also that if you are the skipper you are responsible for the voyage and the decisions made. You do not have confidence in the boat. How would you feel if some mishap resulted in the death of the son, with you responsible?

I'm not clear, though, why you say you are opposed to taking the son. You don't tell us.

I think you need to have a good discussion with the owner, and might even have to withdraw your offer of skippering if the two of you can't agree on whether or not you take him (and any other fundamentals of the journey).

ylop

Visit site
I’d flip your doubts around - if the trip/boat combo is not suitable for a 15 yr old to come along - should you make it at all?

My only real concern about an inexperienced crew in general would be sea sickness - you want to understand that risk before you are 12 hrs + from a safe haven. I know some 15 yr olds who are tough and would love a multi day adventure (probably with no real appreciation for the ropeyness of that boat!) and I know some 25 yr olds who couldn’t imagine that trip because it would have no wifi.

WoodyP

Visit site
When you have misgivings about the boat don't go. The boy is a passenger, not crew. One inexperienced person to share a significant offshore passage over several days is not giving you any confidence when you are off watch. Don't go.

steveeasy

Visit site
Forgive me but at least its not his partner. If you are the skipper of any vessel you are quite right to consider all those on board. You must be satisfied the vessel is sound and safe. with children on board deemed crew or not you must ensure safety equipment on board is ad quart. You should inspect the boat fully and check engine is ready including fuel filters changed. Passage plan, ports of refuge the lot. safety briefing. If your the skipper its your responsibility. That said you can only do your best and have a great trip. I cant believe the windows are tapped in. if so they need fixing securely

Steveeasy

capnsensible

Visit site
I'm in a dilemma. I've agreed to skipper an inexperienced relative's boat from Coruña to Portimao. The boat has been refurbished up to a point and has been delivered from Gosport to Coruña two weeks ago. We now have a decent weather window after the last storm but the owner wants to take his 15 year old son who has absolutely no experience along. The boat is a good one, a 1983 Jeanneau Sunshine 36 but there are problems. The engine is the original 40 year old Volvo, the rig looks ok but is in need of replacement due to age and the coachroof windows are held in place with tape because the man who fitted them just Sikaflexed them in place instead of using VHB tape as instructed. So, I'm opposed to taking a young boy on a 600 m trip which will keep us far offshore, about 60m, because of the very real threat of Orcas. I don't really trust the engine as well. What should I do? I'm trying to help but the ultimate responsability lies with me, or am I wrong?
Just wondering why you want to go right out? I'm lucky enough to know that route quite well. It's really a coastal trip, don't need more than a few miles off the coast. Something to look at. Plenty of refuges if weather kicks off or something breaks. Or if the crew thing doesn't work. Just keep a sharp eye open for pot markers....

Visit site
You could have a new yacht strait out of the factory,an still have big problems.
All the planning and safety and still problems
everything is risk.

i am more your captain sparrow!

Boathook

Visit site
How was the boat delivered from Gosport ? I assume trucked but ...

As you have concerns / worries I suspect that it is best the boat is sorted out first and then some day sails. The 15 year old could be a great help or a major liability for a variety of reasons.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
The kid is not a hazard but a responsibility. So long as he has his phone you probably won’t notice him. The boat is down to you, would you do it solo or with the dad?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Just wondering why you want to go right out? I'm lucky enough to know that route quite well. It's really a coastal trip, don't need more than a few miles off the coast. Something to look at. Plenty of refuges if weather kicks off or something breaks. Or if the crew thing doesn't work. Just keep a sharp eye open for pot markers....
My thoughts exactly. Stick close inshore where the orcas don’t play as much. (We stuck inside the 20 metre contour much of the time 18 months ago and had no problems but saw other boats being towed in.)

The 15 year old might/could be a great asset on board. Is he a keen out doors type who wants to come or is he a reluctant crew? He’s your responsibility as skipper so ultimately you choose.

But there again I’ve sailed with loads of young novice crew so maybe I’m biased. We’ve all got to start somewhere.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. Stick close inshore where the orcas don’t play as much. (We stuck inside the 20 metre contour much of the time 18 months ago and had no problems but saw other boats being towed in.)

And mine. I think it's still a bit early for the tuna to be migrating and not heard any recent reports of orca attacks.

As others have said, I would stick to coastal but be aware that high swell closes ports and that's the time to head out a bit. Lots of pots but the Portuguese (unlike UK) don't generally use long floating pick-up lines and the lines they do use are mostly weighted.

srm

Visit site
Can you ask the boy if he really wants to go (well away from his dad)? If he is keen try to talk him out of it. If he still wants to go you have a crew member, just keep him occupied. In a slightly similar situation while running skippered charters I had the junior members,on an offshore passage, fill in the log book at 30 minute intervals. Inshore and in shallow water I have ask for depths to be read out to help navigation. However, he may prove much more helpful if motivated.
If he is not seriously motivated leave him ashore.
More worrying is your concerns about the boat and possibly the owner. When running skippered charters I always kept the boat set up so that I could handle it singlehanded, at least until I knew the crew's abilities. How confident are you of safely singlehanding that boat?