Inside the Neolithic Mind……

Laser310

Visit site
Looks interesting, although I'm a bit concerned that neither of the authors appear to have any scientific or anthropological background. Is it just a lot of speculation?
I do quite a lot of hiking: I recently completed a trip where I hiked around SW Spain, and then in the Picos de Europa, further NE in Spain. I have hiked a lot in North America (I just yesterday returned from Nova Scotia where I did a bunch of hiking), from the Pacific NW to Argentina and Chile.
Often, hiking trails are quite old, and date from prehistoric times. I think some were probably animal trails before there were humans.
While hiking these trails, I always find myself wondering about the people who walked them thousands of years in the past: what were they like.., what were they thinking about? Can we possibly have any sense of what, beyond staying alive, was important to them?
In North America, i guess what we would call neolithic times are not that long ago. I don't think that the indigenous people encountered by Europeans in say the 1600's in North America were living a life much different from what we imagine to be a "stone-age" existence. They did not have metal for weapons except in rare circumstances.., they did not have written language, they didn't even have the wheel: the Plains Indians moved camp by dragging their stuff.
So, I will probably give this book a look - it's certainly a topic of interest to me.

Wansworth

Visit site
Looks interesting, although I'm a bit concerned that neither of the authors appear to have any scientific or anthropological background. Is it just a lot of speculation?
I do quite a lot of hiking: I recently completed a trip where I hiked around SW Spain, and then in the Picos de Europa, further NE in Spain. I have hiked a lot in North America (I just yesterday returned from Nova Scotia where I did a bunch of hiking), from the Pacific NW to Argentina and Chile.
Often, hiking trails are quite old, and date from prehistoric times. I think some were probably animal trails before there were humans.
While hiking these trails, I always find myself wondering about the people who walked them thousands of years in the past: what were they like.., what were they thinking about? Can we possibly have any sense of what, beyond staying alive, was important to them?
In North America, i guess what we would call neolithic times are not that long ago. I don't think that the indigenous people encountered by Europeans in say the 1600's in North America were living a life much different from what we imagine to be a "stone-age" existence. They did not have metal for weapons except in rare circumstances.., they did not have written language, they didn't even have the wheel: the Plains Indians moved camp by dragging their stuff.
So, I will probably give this book a look - it's certainly a topic of interest to me.
one Comment in the book talks about sea shells being used as eyes in graves and went on to comment that 31 miles would have been a long distance but I don’t think such a distance would be a problem for hunter gatherers…..anyway it’s interesting covering some of the writing of Youval Noah Harare in his book Homo Deus.

Laser310

Visit site
and went on to comment that 31 miles would have been a long distance

depending on the terrain, it's certainly something I could do in a day if I started early.

For a fit neolithic hunter gatherer, I would imagine it would not be a problem if it were something they cared about.., that was worth taking the time off from hunting and gathering.

it's also possible they could have traded for shells

Wansworth

Visit site
depending on the terrain, it's certainly something I could do in a day if I started early.

For a fit neolithic hunter gatherer, I would imagine it would not be a problem if it were something they cared about.., that was worth taking the time off from hunting and gathering.

it's also possible they could have traded for shells
Interesting comment was that from studies of recent hunter gatherers they were freeer and had more time for non survival things whereas the Agriculurists found them selves tied to their animals and crops,it’s certainly an interesting period pondering how they thought as they seem to have the same brain .capacity.Religion in the widest sense seems to have been a driving force,so they even then we’re looking for meaning