Is the Caribbean really that busy these days?

GHA

Visit site
Noforeignland message from full time seriously well travelled circumnavigator friends who just went across.... "Well we're in Antigua and today heading to St Martin before we go broke:) so expensive here "
Yet to find much motivation to go back again on here .... big world out there with so much to explore..😊

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Noforeignland message from full time seriously well travelled circumnavigator friends who just went across.... "Well we're in Antigua and today heading to St Martin before we go broke:) so expensive here "
Yet to find much motivation to go back again on here .... big world out there with so much to explore..😊
Caribbean can be expensive but doesn’t have to be. Don’t be under any illusions that it’s cheap though! Just choose what you buy and where you buy it. There’s a reason why many locals eat fish and rice and peas a lot. We don’t follow their example all the time but we don’t eat European or USA style food all the time either.

GHA

Visit site
Caribbean can be expensive but doesn’t have to be. Don’t be under any illusions that it’s cheap though! Just choose what you buy and where you buy it. There’s a reason why many locals eat fish and rice and peas a lot. We don’t follow their example all the time but we don’t eat European or USA style food all the time either.
Spent a fair while drifting around there & been living full time on the hook for a good load of years in a good load of countries so actually know well how it works. The quote above is from extremely experience globe girdlers who know how it goes living cruising full time for decades, tend to pay more attention to what the full on, full time cruisers say much more than social media but always worth listening to anyone & everyone.

Sea Change

Visit site
Despite the high cost of food here, we're finding our budget in the Caribbean is doing ok. Probably because we never ever use marinas. You can buy a lot of food for the cost of one night alongside.

The sailing is so good that we've only bought diesel once in the past year.

It also pays to shop around, most things are cheaper in the French islands but that's not true for everything.

GHA

Visit site
Despite the high cost of food here, we're finding our budget in the Caribbean is doing ok. Probably because we never ever use marinas. You can buy a lot of food for the cost of one night alongside.

The sailing is so good that we've only bought diesel once in the past year.

It also pays to shop around, most things are cheaper in the French islands but that's not true for everything.
Cruising friends from post 41 still using Canaries stores. Fantastic place to seriously stock up the boat on basics. Gonna be well loaded up before leaving here. 😎

Pay for a marina????? 😂 Not sure I know many boats that would consider that actually a realistic option outside of dumping the boat safe for a flight to visit relatives back in the old cold countries...

Sea Change

Visit site
Cruising friends from post 41 still using Canaries stores. Fantastic place to seriously stock up the boat on basics. Gonna be well loaded up before leaving here. 😎
We left the Canaries over a year ago and were still using Lidl olive oil and pesto...

Pay for a marina????? 😂 Not sure I know many boats that would consider that actually a realistic option outside of dumping the boat safe for a flight to visit relatives back in the old cold countries...
We try to avoid marinas but in Europe that's not always possible, especially places like the Canaries. But there's simply no need here, so many good anchorages and consistent wind directions. Plus mostly clear water makes checking the anchor a pleasure.

GHA

Visit site
We try to avoid marinas but in Europe that's not always possible, especially places like the Canaries.
Yes it is!! 😊 In the Canaries now, just means paying constant attention to the weather models & moving as the weather dictates. Or even out to sea for a night if that's what it takes. Good practice, much of the world has little or no such luxuries as expensive marinas.

Though everything is pricier now. Olive oil loads pricier than couple years ago, still have some fresh that day from a local press up the hills in Portugal, gonna miss that when it runs out, delicious!

Last edited:

Sea Change

Visit site
Yes it is!! 😊 In the Canaries now, just means paying constant attention to the weather models & moving as the weather dictates. Or even out to sea for a night if that's what it takes. Good practice, much of the world has little or no such luxuries as expensive marinas.

Though everything is pricier now. Olive oil loads pricier than couple years ago, still have some fresh that day from a local press up the hills in Portugal, gonna miss that when it runs out, delicious!
Can you still get a berth for €8 in Las Palmas?

Sea Change

Visit site
Didn't ask 😂 Just spent Xmas anchored there. The port runs the anchorage & €1.49 a night for me & get to use all the marina showers etc so in one way it's like getting paid to row the kayak ashore 😊. Much prefer on the hook anyway.
We spent ten days on the hook there, but were constantly getting squeezed for space. Seeing as we kept getting promised a berth 'la mañana' we didn't bother launching our good dinghy, which was stowed on deck for passage, but used the little Avon, and got soaked every time we went ashore.

GHA

Visit site
Bequia is an extremely popular spot. However I bet I could find muktiple secluded sheltered bays within a days sail where you’d be the only boat.
Why are they empty?
Usually a reason in a busy cruising ground...
Last time I was there the only completely empty anchorage I was in was miles from anywhere & next to the smouldering island dump...

And how much do you get paid by the Carib sailing tourist board per post... 😂

South still far more interesting imho, maybe a lot to do with not really being interesting going somewhere more than once.

GHA

Visit site
We spent ten days on the hook there, but were constantly getting squeezed for space. Seeing as we kept getting promised a berth 'la mañana' we didn't bother launching our good dinghy, which was stowed on deck for passage, but used the little Avon, and got soaked every time we went ashore.
Radar overlaid on opencpn is anchorage gold dust, a space appeared up near the breakwater & beach within a couple days. Kayak pulled up the beach. Nice city - not seen such big buildings for a long time 😊 after nearly a year normally anchored out of the way near a perfect beach, ah the troubles we endure 😂

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Why are they empty?
Usually a reason in a busy cruising ground...
Last time I was there the only completely empty anchorage I was in was miles from anywhere & next to the smouldering island dump...

And how much do you get paid by the Carib sailing tourist board per post... 😂

South still far more interesting imho, maybe a lot to do with not really being interesting going somewhere more than once.
They’re usually empty or nearly so because they’re not close to tourist bars and other so called essential’ facilities.

S is better? For what? For who? In whose opinion?

I think I’m going to stop arguing anything in defence of the Caribbean as a cruising ground so that there’s more for us to enjoy.

GHA

Visit site
Understood and I saw that. But I was hoping you’d flesh out your sweeping statement.
Have you sailed down there?
IMHO means it's an opinion, not any kind of statement of fact.
Done both, South America was harder sailing & you're on your own for boat bits though back street workshops will do pretty much anything like rewinding a bst starter motor by hand . Can be a bit dodgy but then the Carib can been rough as old boots.
So from experience my little brain fond the Carib a little bit tame & big boat holiday park after the more on your own slightly wild west further south.

Each to their own though. Not like there's some kind of external reality of "best cruising ground", value judgements only exist inside the brains of a certain big brained ape, nowhere else in the universe.

But trying to keep an open mind, lets have a look - "Bequia is an extremely popular spot. However I bet I could find multiple secluded sheltered bays within a days sail where you’d be the only boat."
Can you mention half a dozen to have a look at?

Sea Change

Visit site
This is six miles from Bequai. We visited in company with our buddy boat and were the only boats there for three days, when we left, to go to another deserted anchorage that was around two miles from Bequai.

Neither anchorage had any inhabitants, shops, bars, etc.