It may well be coming this time, a new East coast marina

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
I think there are 60 leisure moorings...still pretty heavily constrained on access though.. Sixpence will know better than me, but suspect that there is only a metre of water on occasions... but is only 20 mins from me... might be useful for last minute fettling before we set off long term!

ex-Gladys

Visit site
I think there are 60 leisure moorings...still pretty heavily constrained on access though.. Sixpence will know better than me, but suspect that there is only a metre of water on occasions... but is only 20 mins from me... might be useful for last minute fettling before we set off long term!

Sorry to contradict..."60m of double sided moorings"... or 120m so 12x 10m boats...

Sixpence

Visit site

To be honest the plans have changed a lot during my absence from the area and I'm a bit out of touch, but the Nene is used for commercial vessels so I would have thought there would be something more than a metre in the middle of the river. The original plan is here, so it sounds like they've scaled it back somewhat but left it open for future expansion http://www.sholland.gov.uk/PublishedRecords/PBC/DC/APP/6/8a0074bf-bcf0-11df-a7ac-001e0be85c60.pdf

As it says in the brief, it's going to be the closest marina to the open sea that the Wash has, that much I do know having crossed the Wash from Welland to Nene a few years back. Down the Welland it seems to take forever to get into open waters, but Sutton Bridge to open water, well, you can see the sea from the bridge, so it's going to prove very handy for some, especially if they take into consideration deep fin keels

Cantata

Visit site
Oooh yes please for our creek. But the EA and associated people-who-don't-like-dredging-because-it-disturbs-the-worms would have a fit.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Tanner, you are making the serious mistake of thinking the EA cares for people.

They care for worms and slugs not humans. Indeed anything that represents a deviation from a notional "pristine" environment is anathema to them.

Remembering how they stopped dredging the Somerset Levels to protect the "environment" you certainly won't get them to do any maintenance dredging because there will be a worm in the mud...

Sixpence

Visit site
Always found it amusing that within 24 hours of arriving at me mooring and tying off, I got a not from them telling me to pay the river licence or I'd be in trouble. After a chat on the phone with the man, he admitted that he wouldn't pay for this river any more than I would. The weed growth is so bad you need a marine combine harvester to clear a way through

ianc1200

Visit site
Once tried to get out of the lock at Spalding to go to the sluice to get into the Glen at Surfleet; the EA workers (I misspelt that) hadn't a clue how to work their own lock, such that as we turned off the Welland into the Glen the sluice gate was dropping. The prat who got it wrong was fishing in the non tidal bit of the Glen later, oblivious to the problems caused (we were dried out on a hopeless landing stage with an impossible ladder).

Sixpence

Visit site
Once tried to get out of the lock at Spalding to go to the sluice to get into the Glen at Surfleet; the EA workers (I misspelt that) hadn't a clue how to work their own lock, such that as we turned off the Welland into the Glen the sluice gate was dropping. The prat who got it wrong was fishing in the non tidal bit of the Glen later, oblivious to the problems caused (we were dried out on a hopeless landing stage with an impossible ladder).

From that description you'll probably recognise this, taken from my first tidal mooring

SeasEnd038.jpg

Sixpence

Visit site
Oh yes, mud and more mud, last I heard was they were reinforcing the banks but I doubt that's helped the mud situation. That mooring was laid by a friend who told me he covered the bottom with something to give an even keel at low tide, the vertical ladder was, shall we say, daunting