Life Jacket Lesson

Farmer Piles

Visit site
So; took my lifejackets down to our local chandlers', Macsalvors, open safety day to have them checked. All good apart from a couple of rusty CO2 cylinders. I bought new canisters and decided to set-off one of the rusty ones whilst wearing the jacket - never had cause to use one so thought it was a good idea.
I tugged the cord, the cylinder went off and blew the gas all over my feet. I had broken the plastic inflator housing. I don't know if the plastic had become brittle with age or if I was over zealous in how hard I pulled. End result was the same - lifejacket not inflated and unable to inflate by mouth as the air would come out of the holes in the mounting for the cylinder housing. Far from ideal if you find yourself in the sea.
Just an FYI really. For the sake of a tenner per cylinder it might be worth tugging the cord to do a test inflation rather than blowing them up. Plus a good exercise for the crew to try out and to understand what to do if they fall overboard. A bit like having a go with a fire extinguisher.
PS. When buying the new cylinders make sure that you buy the right size. mine were the 33 gm.

SC35

Visit site
I tend to replace lifejackets when they are 10 years old.
Newer ones look smarter as well :)