Mixer taps

Bouba

Visit site
I have a problem…no hot water , just warm…I think that the problem is the mixer taps…all three of my mixers don’t have hot water…so I’m thinking it’s some sort of central unit…I have never had an issue before so have no experience with mixer taps..what do I look for ?..where is the likely culprit ?

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
As a start I guess your calorifier is heated vie the engine (at 90 degrees or so) or/and on shore support through a regulated immersion heater.
Is it hotter after an engine run?
Some boats, not my Sealine, have a temperature regulator. I believe Brooms do. Maybe you have such a regulator.

Bouba

Visit site
As a start I guess your calorifier is heated vie the engine (at 90 degrees or so) or/and on shore support through a regulated immersion heater.
Is it hotter after an engine run?
Some boats, not my Sealine, have a temperature regulator. I believe Brooms do. Maybe you have such a regulator.
After I emptied the calorifier while the boat was on the hard…when it refilled there was air in the system because when ever I put the hot water on it spluttered and hissed but was very hot.
Today it started as before with the spluttering but changed to a full perfect flow…but not hot.
That’s why I think it’s the mixing unit

Portofino

Visit site
Doesn’t each faucet have a separate H + C supply ?
So it’s the hot tank that’s not hot .If you haven’t moved the boat , run the engines then it’s the shore power heater element thats failing .As they do btw .
Under €200 from a FR DIY store buys you a new domestic tank , job lot inc the heater .Push fits are your friends .

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
After I emptied the calorifier while the boat was on the hard…when it refilled there was air in the system because when ever I put the hot water on it spluttered and hissed but was very hot.
Today it started as before with the spluttering but changed to a full perfect flow…but not hot.
That’s why I think it’s the mixing unit
I wonder if you have cooked your temperature sensor on your immersion heater

Martxer

Visit site
Clue is in the title Bouba each tap with have a hot and cold feed mixed by the tap itself so sounds like the immersion heater is at fault.

Bouba

Visit site
Doesn’t each faucet have a separate H + C supply ?
So it’s the hot tank that’s not hot .If you haven’t moved the boat , run the engines then it’s the shore power heater element thats failing .As they do btw .
Under €200 from a FR DIY store buys you a new domestic tank , job lot inc the heater .Push fits are your friends .
Clue is in the title Bouba each tap with have a hot and cold feed mixed by the tap itself so sounds like the immersion heater is at fault.
Ok...this is the answer I didn’t want😡..it’s a new element. Before I run the water down, take out the element and create puddles.....is there not a central pump or valve or something that I could check ?

Bouba

Visit site
Ok...I am going to let everyone sleep on this...and tomorrow I want an answer that requires almost no effort from me...have I made myself clear ?

billskip

Visit site
If you have isolation valves on the tap supply turn the cold one off and then test the hot temperature...although I very much doubt all your taps are bypassing ...I have experienced the selector/mixer valve faulty..

Martxer

Visit site
turn the tap on to hot and put your hand on the water pipe exiting the immersion heater. That should give you an indication as to how hot the water is being heated.

Bouba

Visit site
I will try all of those tomorrow....I came here to relax...on a boat...what was I thinking 🤷‍♂️🤔😳🥺😱

Hurricane

Visit site
I guess the first thing to check is - does the calorifier actually have any hot water in it.
If not, it will be an electrical problem - get your multimeter out and check if the terminals on the immersion heater are live - if not live, check the high temperature trip and the electrical thermostat.

If the water in the calorifier is hot, the problem will be the mixing valve.
I've had mixing valve problems before - you can adjust them but it is safer to replace them.
I replaced mine once - then stripped down the old one - and refurbished it.

This is all straight forward stuff - just use your common sense.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Ok...this is the answer I didn’t want😡..it’s a new element. Before I run the water down, take out the element and create puddles.....is there not a central pump or valve or something that I could check ?
It is common for the calorifier to have a mixer valve. The element or engine heats the water to a relatively high temperature but the mixer valve adds cold water to the outgoing hot water to stop it scalding at the taps. This will obviously affect all taps and showers on the boat.

The mixer valve is normally found at the hot outlet on the calorifier. So head for the calorifier and check the temperature going into the valve against the temp coming out. Cheap and easy fix if it needs replacing.

Portofino

Visit site
It is common for the calorifier to have a mixer valve. The element or engine heats the water to a relatively high temperature but the mixer valve adds cold water to the outgoing hot water to stop it scalding at the taps. This will obviously affect all taps and showers on the boat.

The mixer valve is normally found at the hot outlet on the calorifier. So head for the calorifier and check the temperature going into the valve against the temp coming out. Cheap and easy fix if it needs replacing.
Ours isn’t engine heated .
Just a plain domestic water heater running on AC with a thermostat on the outside you can alter .So it’s only got an element .

We have an inverter connected which is usually off .As @ anchor the geny can provide AC .

Also from experience berthing in Porquerolles the shore power AC is patchy switches off intermittently, so if he’s been there a while …….it might cool down .

He hasn’t specced in his posts exactly what system ( s) he has .We know it’s a single Cummins engine , but no mention YET of engine draw off hot water to heat a colorifer .You are assuming he has one .I am assuming he hasn’t as no mention of his set up in detail .Which would help .

So the default must be a AC element tank that refills with cold automatically thermostatically controlled like a house .

MAN don’t do calorifers , outlets btw . I know smaller VP do them .

We will see like most tech problem threads what additional info is drip fed ( scuse the pun ) in later that was omitted in the opening post , and would have been helpful in giving advice.