New IRC rules on number of headsails.

B27

Visit site
Am I correct in thinking IRC rates headsails essentially on the foretriangle size and the overlap of the biggest genoa?
So adding an inner forestay and setting a second jib on it does not increase the rating?

But tacking a genoa to the bowsprit would increase the foretriangle and hence raise the rating? Or is that no so, provided the sail is 'free flying'? I.e. not hanked or a stay or with its luff in a foil on permanent rigging?

In my simple view there are two extremes of rating system. You either attempt to analyse every configuration and derive a performance prediction, or you just tax things like mast height and leave designers to design optimum rigs.

flaming

Visit site
Am I correct in thinking IRC rates headsails essentially on the foretriangle size and the overlap of the biggest genoa?
So adding an inner forestay and setting a second jib on it does not increase the rating?

But tacking a genoa to the bowsprit would increase the foretriangle and hence raise the rating? Or is that no so, provided the sail is 'free flying'? I.e. not hanked or a stay or with its luff in a foil on permanent rigging?

In my simple view there are two extremes of rating system. You either attempt to analyse every configuration and derive a performance prediction, or you just tax things like mast height and leave designers to design optimum rigs.
No, IRC defines what an headsail is, in terms of draft requirements etc, and then asks for measurements of your largest headsail. Which include area, and various widths across the sail at % of the luff. They also ask for the luff length of the longest luffed sail (which is usually, but not necessarily the largest sail). Separately the rig dimensions are required, which include distance from mast to forestay and height of forestay on the mast. And of course max length of bowsprit.

There is currently no penalty for tacking a headsail anywhere. Either on the forestay or free flying. And no penalty for flying multiple at once, provided that they all measure as headsails.

B27

Visit site
Measuring the foretriangle as being the triangle mast/deck/forestay seems wrong if the forestay isn't relevant to where you tack a jib.

But that's a whole different issue from a Sigma 38 deciding how many jibs/genoas to put on board.

flaming

Visit site
Measuring the foretriangle as being the triangle mast/deck/forestay seems wrong if the forestay isn't relevant to where you tack a jib.

But that's a whole different issue from a Sigma 38 deciding how many jibs/genoas to put on board.
Yes, this is sort of the issue in my view. By allowing headsails to be tacked anywhere with no penalty crews, and sailmakers, have got creative.

flaming

Visit site
Revalidation is now well under way....

What decisions have people made?

I've elected to declare my normal inshore inventory - i.e 3 jibs and a spin staysail, as a starting point...

flaming

Visit site
IRC have released a really handy tool to display all the pertinent data
Valid Boat Data - IRC Rating

It's been really interesting to see as boats revalidate how many headsails they've gone for. One of our principal opposition, a J109, has declared just 1... As a result it looks like where last year we rated one point higher, this year we will owe them 7 points.
Will certainly be interesting to see how that pans out over a season.