Newbie problems.

TobPhil

Visit site
Not actually a newbie- as Tobermoryphil I had over 10,000 posts.
New computer means I have had to change my email address, so rejoined- I can't now use my old monicker.
However I now can't see the Lounge on the site, or a helpline link.
Advice, please!

jamie N

Visit site
I believe that it's the case of building up enough posts, to establish that you're not a nutter, before being allowed entrance through the hallowed portal into the lounge.
I think that it's the same for posting images also, and I've no idea if there's a prescribed number/period for this. I'd imagine that once a 'mod' has seen this, it'd be automatic. (y)

ctva

Visit site
I'd just message FAT and they will be able to reset your email to keep your old account.

VicS

Visit site
Who or what or where is FAT?
FAT = Forum admin team.

But you should not have needed to re-register as a newbie because of a new computer or a new email address. You should have been able to log in using your username and password and then changed your email in your profile.
I've certainly not had to re-register despite at least one email change and several computer changes including adding a tablet, changing the tablet, adding a phone, changing the phone and using a friends computer.

As Newbie you don't have access to the lounge and IIRC you cannot use PMs . The latter will make contacting the Forum Admin Team difficult !

Last edited:

ctva

Visit site
As Newbie you don't have access to the lounge and IIRC you cannot use PMs . The latter will make contacting the Forum Admin Team difficult !
Usually the min post count rule for PMs does not apply to messages to admins.

SaltIre

Visit site
But you should not have needed to re-register as a newbie because of a new computer or a new email address. You should have been able to log in using your username and password and then changed your email in your profile. I've certainly not had to re-register despite at least one email change and several computer changes including adding a tablet, changing the tablet, adding a phone, changing the phone and using a friends computer.
There's a "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.
If the OP has lost his original account password I suspect the only way of gaining access to it is if he can still access the e-mail account he has in his previous profile.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Not actually a newbie- as Tobermoryphil I had over 10,000 posts.
New computer means I have had to change my email address, so rejoined- I can't now use my old monicker.
However I now can't see the Lounge on the site, or a helpline link.
Advice, please!
Report yourself, that should do it.

Sea Change

Visit site
I had the same problem, I set up my account here in 2005 using a now defunct email address. Got locked out of it and despite talking to a mod who I know personally, plus messages to the admins, I couldn't get anywhere at all.
Fortunately I had a backup account lurking somewhere so had to switch to that.

KevinV

Visit site
Thanks, JM
No access to old email account- how many posts to get bilge access?

Phil
I've reported this thread to the mods, hopefully they'll be able to help, there's no reason a change in email account should require creating a new user.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I've reported this thread to the mods, hopefully they'll be able to help, there's no reason a change in email account should require creating a new user.
Hmm. Mods are aware. To access your old login you certainly do need access to your old email. It’s a security issue. Otherwise anyone could start claiming other peoples account saying they’d ’lost their access to their old email..)

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Hmm. Mods are aware. To access your old login you certainly do need access to your old email. It’s a security issue. Otherwise anyone could start claiming other peoples account saying they’d ’lost their access to their old email..)
Hi John, when I rejoined years ago in this similar scenario, I couldn’t access the old email, the mod who helped me wanted some additional confirmation but was then able to merge the identities.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Hi John, when I rejoined years ago in this similar scenario, I couldn’t access the old email, the mod who helped me wanted some additional confirmation but was then able to merge the identities.
Interesting as I’ve been a mod from the time we had community mods. FAT is the only person who can access some of this stuff. I suggest Phil contacts him and explains the situation.