Notices to Mariners - Week 17

tillergirl

Visit site
UKHO Permanent/Temporary/Preliminary Notices

1. ENGLAND - Thames Estuary - Depths. -
Six reductions of depth, three on the Long Sand and three on the Kentish Knock. The soundings on the Long Sand are outside the Wind Farm to the NE. The three on the Kentish Knock are just outside the south side of the Wind Farm and quite dramatic: i.e. fro8.1m to 0.9. But probably not where we usually go.

Local

1. River Medway – Chatham Dock - Temporary Suspension of Service -
Following our previous notices on the temporary closure of Chatham locks, the initial investigation has been undertaken and identified a catastrophic failure of the hauling gear and gearboxes of the North Locks Outer Gate has occurred. This failure has been attributed to a vessel collision with the outer lock gate from an untraceable event. Although we are still in the process of identifying the most appropriate route to bring the locks back into operation, we feel it is appropriate to give you the advance notification that this closure has been estimated to be for a period of up to six to nine months while the works are procured and delivered.
We appreciate your patience while these works are being undertaken and apologies for any inconvenience this is causing to the users of Chatham docks. Notice is hereby given that: due to an unforeseen issue identified with the north lock outer caisson, Chatham Docks will be closed to navigation and unable to accept any vessel movements until further notice. The cause of the issue is currently subject to an engineering inspection, as soon as the scale of the issue is ascertained a further notice will be promulgated updating stakeholders with expected timescales for rectification. :eek:
2. Approaches to Sheerness - Grain Spit Deployment of Current Monitoring Equipment - as part of the Neuconnect Interconnector project, an acoustic doppler current profiler (ADCP) unit will be sited on Grain Spit for approximately one month. The ADCP unit will be placed in the following approximate position marked on the chart below on or around 11th April 2024. Images available: Admiralty Chart No. 3683 refers. The ADCP will be monitoring tidal currents for approximately one month and will be attached to a ‘special mark’ buoy to notify vessels of their locations and to assist recovery. The buoy will be of minimal size to reduce risk to vessels and shall display a yellow flashing light at 5 second intervals. Due to the location of the buoy and it’s limited size, vessels transiting Grain Spit are requested to navigate with caution. Further information may be obtained from Medway VTS on VHF Channel 74, call sign “Medway VTS” or telephone 0151 949 6148 (Recorded Line).
3. PORT OF GREAT YARMOUTH - HAVEN BRIDGE LIFT BOOKINGS - owing to a health and safety concern raised by Great Yarmouth Port to Norfolk County Council, Great Yarmouth Port are unable to accept the responsibility and risk related to pedestrians and vehicles experienced during the immediate period prior to the lifting of the Haven Bridge for navigational purposes. We have proposed an interim solution to Norfolk County Council, however this has not been progressed by them. Therefore, Great Yarmouth Port are currently unable to accept bookings for Haven Bridge Lifts for Navigational purposes, and we advise you that any correspondence on this matter be passed to Norfolk County Council who are the owners and responsible party for the overall safety of Haven Bridge. This restriction does not impact any vessels that are able to pass safely under the bridge, who should continue to operate in the normal manner with communication with LPS. :eek:
4. Dover Harbour -Ensonification Survey - the annual Ensonification Survey will take place within the Eastern and Western Docks from 22nd-30th April in the areas highlighted green in the image. The survey will be conducted from vessel ‘Kippo’, who will keep a listening watch on VHF 74. ‘Kippo’ will be directed accordingly around traffic movements by Dover VTS.

That's it. At the moment my ISP is refusing me access to update my website so the images in the usual page (Notices to Mariners) isn't available. I am hoping with a full re-boot I will be successful in due course. 😡

tillergirl

Visit site
Not good. Both Haven and Herring Bridges are stuck - down. Not the best.

And my website cannot be updated at the moment. Sorry. Not my fault. The website works but will not include this week's updates for the present.