Online shopping for boat products

Dingbull

Visit site
Buying items online in the Bremen chandlery, 2500 km away from home, is actually cheaper for me than buying them online in local chandleries or in local physical shops; not only the price of the item is lower, but the post charges are too.

If local chandleries want to be competitive in a global market, they should start by being competitive in the local market!

Regards,

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Buying items online in the Bremen chandlery, 2500 km away from home, is actually cheaper for me than buying them online in local chandleries or in local physical shops; not only the price of the item is lower, but the post charges are too.

If local chandleries want to be competitive in a global market, they should start by being competitive in the local market!

Regards,
Isn’t that in Germany?

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Isn’t that in Germany?
Yep.
Also known as svb24.com and while they do ship, they also must comply with regulations, customs etc. and, consequently have limits or decline some orders (size, value, type of goods (AF)).

Within the EU it's just like buying locally. I recently received 3 x 2 ltr. thin film AF from them at their standard EU shipping cost:

1688630289672.png

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Yep.
Also known as svb24.com and while they do ship, they also must comply with regulations, customs etc. and, consequently have limits or decline some orders (size, value, type of goods (AF)).

Within the EU it's just like buying locally. I recently received 3 x 2 ltr. thin film AF from them at their standard EU shipping cost:

View attachment 159434
Yes we use to buy quite a lot from SVB when we was cruising around Europe ,
not sure how it would work out now if you brough from them in the UK .
but in Europe we always found them good on prices .
and their service was good .

Dingbull

Visit site
[…]

Their standard shipping costs of €8.95 allow for up to 30 kg of merchandise. Far better than those of many local online stores. No wonder that they are getting customers from all over the EU.

Regards,

The Q

Visit site
I've used "ASAP supplies" and" Norfolk marine" as they are both local to me, I try to use them when possible.
"Force 4" and "Gael Force" are alternatives online.
I've also bought off EBay, dented cans of anti foul of the type I wanted, at 1/3 list price, which was too much of a bargain to miss and rolls of dyneema at a substantial discount over chandlery prices.

colind3782

Visit site
Sad to say not for everything
my engine for four with carriage, vat ad import due to Denmark came to £221
svb one mount €165 plus vat and carriages.
so you still have to shop around , but they do a good service .
I should have qualified my post. Prior to the "gift that keeps on giving". I always bought stuff in the UK and, either had it shipped to Spain, or carried it on the aircraft, depending on what it was and how big. Since then, buying stuff in the UK to go to Spain is impractical so SVB is now my "go to". However, I do shop around to see if there is anything better.

Poignard

Visit site
A friend of mine whose boat is in France recently had some BUKH spares supplied to him by De Dieseldokter, Holland.
Delivery was quick.
Here's the website if anyone wants to make a note of it. They also supply parts for other makes besides BUKH.
Webshop

stearman65

Visit site
Hi Guys
Why not add a link to the item's you are suggesting, it's easy to do using the figure of 8 at 45 degrees above, next to the adding a picture icon. Highlight the URL of the item, copy, click the sloping 8, paste the link & add some text in the other box.

HenrikH

Visit site
A bit surprised that after 93 posts nobody mentions the joy og visiting a physical shop/chandeler. When I get to a new port, I often look up the boat shop just as a threat. Entering any other type of shop, I start looking for the exit.

peterhull

Visit site
Hi all,
You may or may not have noticed that we've started doing a lot of online shopping guides over at: Boating gear
We'd love to get your feedback on these so we can make them as good as possible.
What kinds of boat products would you consider buying online?
What would you never buy without touching / feeling / testing them first?
Is there are maximum price at which buying online would make you uncomfortable?
And which sites do you trust for buying boat products online?
Thanks,
-Chris
I use Trust Pilot if the company is new to me. It's my :go to' web site , lots of good reviews gives me more confidence to buy on line

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
I use Trust Pilot if the company is new to me. It's my :go to' web site , lots of good reviews gives me more confidence to buy on line
As always, you should read information with a bit of suspicion. Although Trustpilot is a platform for rating suppliers, it is also a marketing tool.
Companies can have free or paid plans and they obviously don't get the same service from the company.

Furthermore, not all companies are on Trustpilot.
1704431839816.png

Last edited:

peterhull

Visit site
As always, you should read information with a bit of suspicion. Although Trustpilot is a platform for rating suppliers, it is also a marketing tool.
Companies can have free or paid plans and they obviously don't get the same service from the company.

Furthermore, not all companies are on Trustpilot.
View attachment 170133
That's interesting thanks for sharing that