PC plotter software and chart recommendations

jimi

Visit site
Having just purchased a new laptop (windows 10) I'm wondering about better software for route planning ,tracking and AIS display than my existing OpenCPN with 20 year old charts. Any recommendations gratefully received, don't want to bust the bank but happy to pay reasonable price for up to date charts and decent passage planning. I don't interface with anything else other than USB ais receiver, usb GPS and USB interface to VHF to give position. Got Garmin chartplotter at helm I don't plan to touch.

Moodysailor

Visit site
I looked around for a while and came to the conclusion that OpenCPN is the best value. You can get better/alternative PC based systems, but they are almost all very expensive, or incredibly difficult to use.

I stumped for raster and vector charts for OpenCPN to switch between the two, and we took our wind, speed & depth data onto N0183 to feed into it as well as AIS & GPS. Overall really pleased and no intention of looking further for anything else.

It's nice having plenty of redundancy on board with MFD, tablets and laptop.

st599

Visit site
You could also look at the NanoBaro project on the PBO section of the forum and get weather data and pressure.

jimi

Visit site
just set up on new computer (Surface Pro 7) and set up is a doddle compared to my old laptop ,

Wing Mark

Visit site
So the 'visitmyharbour' deal for Android is $8.35 for the Marinenavigator app, plus £29..95 for UK and near continent charts, one time purchase including one up-issue within a year.
Looks like raster versions of UKHO charts.

Pros and cons vs navionics?

dunedin

Visit site
So the 'visitmyharbour' deal for Android is $8.35 for the Marinenavigator app, plus £29..95 for UK and near continent charts, one time purchase including one up-issue within a year.

Personally I like having both - I have Navionics vector charts on the ships plotter(s), but these are very pricey to update on these versions - very bad commercial decision by Navionics.
I also have the current UKHO raster charts on my iPad (from Memory Map rather than VmH but sounds like the same charts).

In some cases isolated rock pinnacles are rather difficult to spot on Navionics, and easier to spot on UKHO detailed raster charts.
But both are good, I just prefer having two independent sources on independent devices, to give flexibility and contingency.

Wing Mark

Visit site
Personally I like having both - I have Navionics vector charts on the ships plotter(s), but these are very pricey to update on these versions - very bad commercial decision by Navionics.
I also have the current UKHO raster charts on my iPad (from Memory Map rather than VmH but sounds like the same charts).

In some cases isolated rock pinnacles are rather difficult to spot on Navionics, and easier to spot on UKHO detailed raster charts.
But both are good, I just prefer having two independent sources on independent devices, to give flexibility and contingency.
Do the two systems often tell you different things?

It seems I have got the wrong end of the stick about updating Navionics on a plotter?
I had the impression I could buy an Onwa plotter and a year later update the charts with Navionics if I had a valid subscription?

I can see the attraction of having both sources and styles of chart.
I also quite like the idea of a plotter that is just that and only that, anyone on the boat can use it and it's not going to give any Android/windows update or re-start comedy at an awkward moment.
I'm not focussed on singlehanded sailing, I don't want the nav to be on just 'my' phone, I want it to be something I can read while steering and discuss with others on the boat.
Can the memory map or V-my-H charts be put on multiple devices with one subscription? Have it on my phone and a 'boat' tablet? without everyone on the boat getting on the interweb under my google ID?

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Having just purchased a new laptop (windows 10) I'm wondering about better software for route planning ,tracking and AIS display than my existing OpenCPN with 20 year old charts. Any recommendations gratefully received, don't want to bust the bank but happy to pay reasonable price for up to date charts and decent passage planning. I don't interface with anything else other than USB ais receiver, usb GPS and USB interface to VHF to give position. Got Garmin chartplotter at helm I don't plan to touch.
How about Time Zero?

Yealm

Visit site

Re Navionics
Pros - it's fantastic !
Cons - Can't use it on a laptop. Doesn't have AIS.

Wing Mark

Visit site
Re Navionics
Pros - it's fantastic !
Cons - Can't use it on a laptop. Doesn't have AIS.
Thanks.
I've destroyed a laptop with coffee ashore, I don't think I'd want one as my primary nav helper on a small boat where people get wet. I guess your comment is really extending to the whole windows ecosystem, which is perhaps a shame for people with splashproof keyboards and onboard PCs. But personally, I'm looking at low power stuff like Android or maybe Raspberry Pi.
AIS is a great thing for certain aspects of yacht sailing, I recall one of the later trips I did on a mate's yacht, he'd just got one of the first 'Nasa AIS Radar' units. For picking your way through the shipping lanes it was a revelation. At the moment I'm more focused on sailing in the shallow bits where tankers don't go. 2022, I think we'll have enough to do this side of the channel. Beyond that AIS might be nice.

Yealm

Visit site
Thanks.
I've destroyed a laptop with coffee ashore, I don't think I'd want one as my primary nav helper on a small boat where people get wet. I guess your comment is really extending to the whole windows ecosystem, which is perhaps a shame for people with splashproof keyboards and onboard PCs. But personally, I'm looking at low power stuff like Android or maybe Raspberry Pi.
AIS is a great thing for certain aspects of yacht sailing, I recall one of the later trips I did on a mate's yacht, he'd just got one of the first 'Nasa AIS Radar' units. For picking your way through the shipping lanes it was a revelation. At the moment I'm more focused on sailing in the shallow bits where tankers don't go. 2022, I think we'll have enough to do this side of the channel. Beyond that AIS might be nice.

I’d love to have Navionics on my home Mac laptop for route planning and for armchair sailing!
But IPad’s (and iPhone) a great platform- for Navionics and for OS maps..