position of diesel pre-filter water trap

superboots

Visit site
I have a single diesel pre filter . Its positioned on a bulkhead roughly at a height of the top of the engine. I want to add a second filter - a racor which also has an alarm next to it with by pass connections. However, this put at behind the heat exchanger so very awkward to get to. Would there be an issue if I raised the position of both filters about 20 cm so they would not be obstructed by the engine? - I am worried about impeded fuel flow.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I repositioned my primary fuel filters, above the top level of my tanks so they were easier to access and change while under way with no effect on the engine fuel flow.

I also fitted priming bulb and a electric priming pump at the same time which introduces extra suction resistance with no affect

srm

Visit site
Once the system is bled there should not be a problem. If you are worried add an electric fuel pump with its own switch while moving the filters. You then have the choice of using the electric pump or not. Did this on my last boat, engine starts and runs without it, but it helps with bleeding the final engine filter, and injectors should they ever become a problem.