Pump for domestic water system.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
The (not very) old pump on my pressurised H&C water system is on its last legs. It has stopped completely twice so I took it appart today freed things off and got it going again. It looks like water has been leaking from the pump section into the drive and bearings. It's now leaking from where I opened it up. It's a Johnson SPX multi-diaphram unit and has always been noisy.
So the question is what to replace it with? Does anybody make an impeller pump for this job? Or are they all as noisy as this. And is 4 years a normal life span? We do tend to leave it under pressure a lot instead of switching off and opening a tap which the makers seem to recommend.

jamie N

Visit site
If it's a diaphragm pump, there are loads of options to replace it with. Diaphragm pumps shouldn't leak by their nature, and in my experience are durable, however the noise problem is possibly from the mounting of the unit. On mine, it came with rubber legs specifically to mute the noise.
You do mention that you leave it under pressure against the manufacturer's recommendation though?

dankilb

Visit site
Annoyingly not much in stock in UK currently. No 12v jabscos in ASAP. Think Whale have some uk stock so for a diaphragm one you might find more luck.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
The vast majority of pumps are the same type (and made in the same part of the world).

If mounted vertically, leaking water will run down and find its way into either motor or pressure switch, depending on which end of the pump is facing down.
Thus it is obvious to mount the pump horizontally whenever possible.

There is no harm in leaving the pump on because it doesn't know it anyway until the pressure switch turns it on.
There should be an inline accumulator tank on the pressurized side, to provide even pressure and prevent frequent stop/start.

Try adding silent to the search argument and check deals for RV and camping. Same pumps...

Neeves

Visit site
They should last a long time, decades, ours is 25 years old.

They are noisy, hence the rubber feet, see Jamie's post. If they are mounted on a surface that is hollow behind the surface the noise is worse. You can reduce the noise by altering the location (attach to something really solid, cabin sole) or adding more rubber.

Jonathan

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I seemed to be cursed with pumps on this boat. She's 23 years old and we've had her seven years I've replaced the engine coolant circulating pump, engine seawater pump, electric bulge pump, and the domestic fresh water pump.