Replacement Reefing horn

crewman

Visit site
Anyone know where I can get a replacement reefing horn? I have somehow managed to bend mine and cannot work out how to bend it back to the right shape. I mean the bit near the gooseneck which you hook the reef cringle on. Boat is a Sonata. At present I cannot reef as the cringle cannot hook onto the horn.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Anyone know where I can get a replacement reefing horn? I have somehow managed to bend mine and cannot work out how to bend it back to the right shape. I mean the bit near the gooseneck which you hook the reef cringle on. Boat is a Sonata. At present I cannot reef as the cringle cannot hook onto the horn.

Surely you couldn't bend it by pulling too hard on the main halyard? I would have expected the sail to tear first. That's very odd. Can you remove it from the mast and bend it back to shape in a vice?

Richard

crewman

Visit site
I have got it off the mast but cannot work out how to bend it. It is about 6mm stainless steel and the central bend has partially flattened out. Even in a vice it is difficult to hit the right bit with a hammer due to the complex bends. No idea how it got bent in the first place.

BERT T

Visit site
I have got it off the mast but cannot work out how to bend it. It is about 6mm stainless steel and the central bend has partially flattened out. Even in a vice it is difficult to hit the right bit with a hammer due to the complex bends. No idea how it got bent in the first place.

Forget the hammer, use two ring spanners as bending bars.

crewman

Visit site
As a temporary fix, use a snap shackle on a short piece of rope tied off to the gooseneck. You can use just one shackle for all three reefs, just move it from one to the next as you move through the reefs.

I will use that idea if I cannot bend it back to shape. Use the horn to keep the Spinny pole uphaul out of the way so will have to work out a temporary replacement.

Anyone got any ideas as to how I bent it so I can try not to do it again?

bbg

Visit site
As a temporary fix, use a snap shackle on a short piece of rope tied off to the gooseneck. You can use just one shackle for all three reefs, just move it from one to the next as you move through the reefs.

That is actually a better solution. Horns can catch the luff of the main and tear it on shaking out the reef if you are not careful.

William_H

Visit site
I think a far better solution is to use a line for reefing the tack eyelet toward the mast and down to the boom. By using a line this can be taken back to the halyard winches for reefing from the cockpit. The line goes through the eyelet from a saddle mounted on the side of the mast below the gooseneck and as far forward as possible. Another saddle or cheek mounted block in the same place as the first saddle will then direct the line down to a turning block on deck hence back to cockpit. It is all very similar to the reefing line at the clew. ie the pull of the line should be about 45 degrees to the luff and foot.
This line will enable you to pull the tack eyelt right in to the mast ensuring the luff is ina straight line up the mast so no load on slugs or bolt rope. Likewise you can pull the tack eyelet down close to the boom giving a straight line of load back to the clew reefing line. Gives a brilliant set sail with reef in.
For the second reef you do the same only coming down the other side of the mast. Not so convenient on a small boat with more than 2 reefs.
This method can be a bit tricky using slugs in the luff. As you will have to release slugs as the sail is reefed. As with a horn. However if you dispense with the bottom slugs you can at least get a first reef in without going to the mast. Using a bolt rope it is so easy. I can put a reef in from the cockpit in about 30 seconds when on the wind.
I don't bother with topping lift. I drop the main halyard about half way needed for the reef. Haul in the clew line which also goes to halyard winch. Haul down the front reef line then drop the main halyard enough so that the front reef line can be pulled tight. Haul in the clew line to give a tight foot and finally trim up the main halyard for a tight luff.
Perhaps later tie up the bunt of slack sail onto the boom. easy peasy good luck olewill