Rocket station

CJU

Visit site
If you are ever around Tynemouth, the Tynemouth Volunteer Life Brigade Museum is well worth a visit. It’s situated near the Collingwood memorial and its breeches buoy apparatus covered most of the entrance to the Tyne. Quite a few vessels were wrecked on the rocks that are just inside the harbour walls, so a watch station was established using breeches buoy equipment for rescuing.

Tynemouth Volunteer Life Brigade Museum

fogyfos

Visit site
Been there - done that - got the teeshirt. Joined the "Coast Life Saving Corps" in September 1965; following my father, who joined in 1946.

Although "officially too young to join", I was there, with my father, assisting at the wreck of the coaster "Greitje" (Feb 1963), and the rescue of all the crew. By the time we went back to look, the following day, it had broken in two - all the cargo, and the fore-part of the coaster had disappeared; and the wheel-house etc., was washed up on the beach at the base of the cliff ... where it stayed for about three months, before being washed off.

Stayed in the service for another 20 years, then moved on to other things.

Attachments

• Grietje_ashore.JPG
    Grietje_ashore.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 7

bikedaft

Visit site
Been there - done that - got the teeshirt. Joined the "Coast Life Saving Corps" in September 1965; following my father, who joined in 1946.

Although "officially too young to join", I was there, with my father, assisting at the wreck of the coaster "Greitje" (Feb 1963), and the rescue of all the crew. By the time we went back to look, the following day, it had broken in two - all the cargo, and the fore-part of the coaster had disappeared; and the wheel-house etc., was washed up on the beach at the base of the cliff ... where it stayed for about three months, before being washed off.

Stayed in the service for another 20 years, then moved on to other things.
great picture

st599

Visit site
If you are ever around Tynemouth, the Tynemouth Volunteer Life Brigade Museum is well worth a visit. It’s situated near the Collingwood memorial and its breeches buoy apparatus covered most of the entrance to the Tyne. Quite a few vessels were wrecked on the rocks that are just inside the harbour walls, so a watch station was established using breeches buoy equipment for rescuing.

Tynemouth Volunteer Life Brigade Museum
I think that's still their HQ and they still run Search and Rescue from there.