RYA rudeness

zoidberg

Visit site
The RYA is, as is now well-known, a commercial/trading organisation which relies, as do many others, on the goodwill created by its paying members, staff and affiliated groups. As elsewhere, first impressions make a lasting impression.

This morning, on making telephone contact to identify the destination for a letter of thanks, I was greeted by a telephone bot giving me a lecture on basic courtesy and good manners. That is a role for parents and early-days schooling and not an automated script. It was a waste of my time - which I was paying for - and I found it offensive.

Further offensive was the switching of my call to a voicemail-box which announced its user' identity not with a name but a grunt. I ended the call.

There's a valid aphorism - "You never get a second chance to make a first impression"

Boathook

Visit site
I've had that type of curtesy message from a different organisation, might have neen the NT.
Makes me wonder how much verbal abuse they get over the phone. I mainly blame the automated messages saying your call is very important, we are very busy at the moment (get that when ever you ring) and then an increasing list of options which comes after "have you looked at our website which has the majority of answers to your question". The website hasn't answered my question hence the phone call ....

Walther

Visit site
Talk about a preemptive strike! There’s really no excuse for that sort of hectoring nonsense, and the RYA can jog on.

It’s funny how ‘progressive’ organisations constantly lecture their customers and volunteers on the need to ‘be kind’ under the threat of immediate expulsion. They might do better to look in the mirror, as they generally need us more than we need them (‘Get woke, go broke’, etc.).

Last edited:

flaming

Visit site
It's a no-win really....

If they're getting lots of abuse of staff over the phone, then they do have a duty of care to take action on that. Otherwise at some point they're going to be sat in an employment tribunal listening to a lawyer explain why their employee is due compensation for the abuse they suffered on the job that the company did nothing about.

And quite apart from the legalities of it, if I discovered that my staff were getting abuse from people over the phone, then I think I'd have a moral duty to do something about it.
If what they've done is effective is something of a different question....

ctva

Visit site
It's a no-win really....

If they're getting lots of abuse of staff over the phone, then they do have a duty of care to take action on that. Otherwise at some point they're going to be sat in an employment tribunal listening to a lawyer explain why their employee is due compensation for the abuse they suffered on the job that the company did nothing about.

And quite apart from the legalities of it, if I discovered that my staff were getting abuse from people over the phone, then I think I'd have a moral duty to do something about it.
If what they've done is effective is something of a different question....
The solution is in the general terms and conditions of any organisation, If you are rude, abusive, etc, then they deal with it and the staff are trained to take a zero tollerance approach. There is no need to spell it out in a nanny like way each time you phone to cover the organisation from a member of staff suing after taking the call provided they follow their own internal procedures on rude calls.

flaming

Visit site
The solution is in the general terms and conditions of any organisation, If you are rude, abusive, etc, then they deal with it and the staff are trained to take a zero tollerance approach. There is no need to spell it out in a nanny like way each time you phone to cover the organisation from a member of staff suing after taking the call provided they follow their own internal procedures on rude calls.
I don't disagree, however if it was a serious and recurring problem I can understand why an organisation might want to go down this route.

Tackling why the customers were so upset should of course have a similar priority....

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I find it a real novelty these days that actually use humanoids to answer telephone calls.

Many organisations have factored the cost out to save money I assume and aggro. The nearest you can get is possibly a "Computer Chat" that always seems to be engaged.

It gets worse every year. I try not to use companies that don't employ humans to answer the phone even if I have to pay a bit more.

ylop

Visit site
It was a waste of my time - which I was paying for - and I found it offensive.
I believe that makes you what in modern parlance is known as a snowflake! Whilst such recordings are pretty meaningless and a sad indictment on society they exist precisely because of the opening ramble you started your post with. The fact you chose to be offended by someone saying - our staff get abuse on the phone so don’t be an idiot or we will hang up says more about you than it does about the RYA.

Further offensive was the switching of my call to a voicemail-box which announced its user' identity not with a name but a grunt. I ended the call.
whilst that is annoying, you clearly didn’t really want an answer to your question by that point, or you’d have left a message and then if someone called you back you could have alerted them to the anonymous mailbox issue.

SaltyC

Visit site
Unfortunately, now the RYA is no longer run by a member committee the priority at every presentation without fail, appears to be green blue and the environment (lift and clean your boat before going anywhere to prevent transporting non native specues) and inclusively.
Their compass deviation appears excessively away from its original aims.

dunedin

Visit site
Unfortunately, now the RYA is no longer run by a member committee the priority at every presentation without fail, appears to be green blue and the environment (lift and clean your boat before going anywhere to prevent transporting non native specues) and inclusively.
Their compass deviation appears excessively away from its original aims.
What evidence do you have for these assertions? Virtually all major Clubs and associations are now set up with a limited company basis, for legal reasons and to avoid members having financial liabilities. But the RYA is still run by a board of member representatives.

SaltyC

Visit site
What evidence do you have for these assertions? Virtually all major Clubs and associations are now set up with a limited company basis, for legal reasons and to avoid members having financial liabilities. But the RYA is still run by a board of member representatives.
The constitution was changed and the government appointed a quota of board members. If National Sporting Bodies (not just RYA) did not change their constitutions from 'by the members for the members', then they would not qualify for Lottery Funding due to accountability. With government interference came inclusion and diversity etc. On the 2 conferences I have attended with the new CEO, these were the main thrust of the presentation.
a reason why they are now 'all set up that way?

zoidberg

Visit site
A: I believe that makes you what in modern parlance is known as a snowflake! ....such recordings are pretty meaningless and a sad indictment

B: you clearly didn’t really want an answer to your question by that point, or you’d have left a message
A: You clearly haven't met me, or anyone like me.

B: You've clearly had some 'reading comprehension difficulties'.

I didn't have a question. I sought to be directed to the appropriate department so I could ascertain where to send a Letter of Thanks.
I didn't want to talk to a machine - for the third time - that is likely being used so its operator doesn't need to speak with customers/clients.
The Letter of Thanks did not get sent.

capnsensible

Visit site
Such a pity that so many corporations, businesses, clubs or whatever have been pushed into this corner by a modern mindset of me, me, me. The RYA used to be so approachable. When we ran/ owned RTCs Mrs S spoke to them many many tines about all sorts of things to make our school run smoothly.

Quite frankly, I too would be irritated by this telephone tango. I can kinda understand why it must be so, but sad too.

dunedin

Visit site
The constitution was changed and the government appointed a quota of board members. If National Sporting Bodies (not just RYA) did not change their constitutions from 'by the members for the members', then they would not qualify for Lottery Funding due to accountability. With government interference came inclusion and diversity etc. On the 2 conferences I have attended with the new CEO, these were the main thrust of the presentation.
a reason why they are now 'all set up that way?
So who are the “Government appointed” board members? Governance of the RYA - Board of Directors

And are you suggesting that inclusion and diversity are not important things for any sporting organisation?
Should sport have stayed like many clubs of yore - men only, caucasian etc?
Witness what happened at the Cricket body, amongst others? Is the Royal & Ancient Golf still men only?

Last edited:

steveeasy

Visit site
Ive re read the ops post and understand it better now. Sounds like a PR disaster. Thing is they probally see themselves on some sort of pedestal. Far too used to the pennies coming in. good manners means more than anything nowadays but business and organisations just sometimes dont get it. unknown to them It really hurts in the pocket.

Steveeasy