Should boat manufacturers start making sacrificial rudders?

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
In view of the increasing number of incidents of boats having their rudders damaged or removed by Orcas, statistically this must be approaching the most likely form of catastrophic rudder loss or damage boats will be likely to encounter.

Reversing into rocks or shallows while med-mooring is probably the highest incidence of minor damage as pretty much every charter boat has done this at some point, and the rows of boats in my marina pulled out at seasons end having the rudder gelcoat fixed seems to bear this out - but total loss of steerage and water ingress seem to be a very real outcome of Orca encounters near the entrance to the Med.

So what to do? .... In the car industry, sacrificial parts of the vehicle are designed to fail in the event of a accident and therefore lessen the damage to the rest of the car. There is a standard test for kerb strikes for example, in the Gaydon Proving Ground in Warwickshire there is a standard kerb set up for performing a kerb strike test, ensuring the right part of the suspension gives way.

So .... should rudders be made sacrificial to prevent breech of a vessels hull? With a balanced spade this could be easily achieved by creating a fracture point in the rudder stock just below where it exits the hull. In the event of a sustained Orca attack, the boat could lose it's rudder but the integrity of the hull would remain intact - there would then be little left for Orcas to play with and perhaps they'd lose interest.

This would be more difficult to engineer on a skeg hung rudder as Orcas appear to be ripping skegs open once they've removed the rudder .... I'm thinking of the 66ft Moody that would have sunk if it hadn't been for a helicopter delivering a high capacity water pump.

In fact, fiberglass skegs that are not an integral part of the keel are giving Orcas a handy lever - which is laminated to the hull - and they appear to be able to use this to tear the laminate open - hardly surprising as they weigh many tons and can exert forces the skegs were never designed to handle under normal operation.

This is the damage to the 66ft Moody ...

1702717506778.png

.... maybe a clean break of the stock, just under the lower bearing on a balanced spade, while rendering the boat rudderless, may prevent it sinking?

Anyone with concerns over a backup could look at emergency rudder options similar to a windvane to deploy once the Orcas have moved on.

Last edited:

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Perhaps something to get you home .

How about carrying a DIY rudder with fittings that turn it into transom hung.

Like many perhaps , I have experimented steering under sail with backed jib , dragged bucket etc but difficult close inshore and when berthing.

benjenbav

Visit site
I think the sacrificial rudder is a great idea. As for a temporary replacement; how about a mounting to accept a steering oar and then carry same as a matter of course?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Or to make the rudder from a material that a glancing blow or an Orca cannot damage or rip off .

It all cones down to cost of manufacturer

rogerthebodger

Visit site
So perhaps the ideal rudder is in fact multiple stern mounted rudders that can be lifted, and fitted with a fuse so they kick up if hit debris. A bit like some earlier IMOCA and Class 40 race boats.

It would be easy to fit a hinge in the rubber shaft with a brass shear pin that would break if the rudder hit something hard

The Monitor self steering has a catch that will disconnect and allow the servo vane to lift if the servo vane hit something hard

Thi pic shows the servo vane of my monitor and at the top is the shear pin hinge.

The skeleton auxiliary rudder forward of the servo rudder also had the same design of shear pin hinge

Last edited:

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Another line of reaction (so to speak) would be to fit or retrofit an internal additional bulkhead forward of the rudder shaft; maybe not necessary to fully isolate the aft third of the hull but just creating some sort of watertight partition around a suitable area, to either fully contain water ingress or make it manageable by a small bilge pump.

14K478

Visit site
Another line of reaction (so to speak) would be to fit or retrofit an internal additional bulkhead forward of the rudder shaft; maybe not necessary to fully isolate the aft third of the hull but just creating some sort of watertight partition around a suitable area, to either fully contain water ingress or make it manageable by a small bilge pump.
I like this solution as I already have watertight bulkheads fore and aft of the rudder and steering gear. So I’ll go for this one.😉

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The idea of a spare rudder in the event of the main one being lost is not new. Many offshore boats carry reserve means of steering.

Its normally an emergency tiller that connect to the top of the existing rudder.

If an emergency rudder is needed using a spinnaker pole and floor board is often recommended with a way to fix the floor board to the spinnaker pole and a pivot on the stern to locate and control the rudder / steering sweep.