Small is …..errr cheaper

Wansworth

Visit site
A bit of perspective, I think we are of very similar age, fitness may be a little different but a year or so ago a boat popped up on my horizon that would have suited me and the sailing I was hankering to do again, it was a Pacific Seacraft 40 a boat I had sailed before several times and liked . I had arranged to go and see it with every intention of buying but the day before I was due to drive down to Spain I suffered a reoccurrence of my BPV ( vertigo brought on by movement) so had to cancel. The boat disappeared from sail and in any case I began to question whether I was really up to doing what I wanted and concluded it was best to let this sleeping dog lie. Fast forward and just before I fell ill again another PS 40 popped up in the UK and I was having serious thoughts about it but now I think my body is saying think again so it will remain not a dream but another ambition unfulfilled.
Are you really ready to go sailing again with all that it entails the maintenance and the ongoing costs and how is your underlying health and fitness? Even though you don't envisage any great voyaging Whatever you decide is best for you I wish you the best.
Many thanks

Daydream believer

Visit site
Yes……I think I will refrain from posts about possible boat purchase till it’s done….or not.I can delight you with photos of my latest acquisition mynewgrass cutter…..I cannot admit toa lawn mower give the state of the garden
Hang on! We are not going to have a "Shall I buy this mower, or shall I buy that mower. ? Do I need a 21 inch cut or a 24 inch cut? Do I get a Mountfield or a Hayter?" thread are we?
I doubt the forum could manage the stress. Far too many options. :eek:

Wansworth

Visit site
Hang on! We are not going to have a "Shall I buy this mower, or shall I buy that mower. ? Do I need a 21 inch cut or a 24 inch cut? Do I get a Mountfield or a Hayter?" thread are we?
Relax……choice has been made without referral to the forum😂…..waiting for the dew to burn off before cutting 😏

Daydream believer

Visit site
No it is an ICE ……but powered……we could start a thread about ev lawnmowers😂
Don't say ICE, or we will have our least favourite climate change activists, showing up with their C02 graphs again to lecture us all :cry: :eek:
Just hope that the lawn is not the wrong side of a ULEZ boundary, or it will cost you 12 euro every time you go to cut the grass. Still you could use it as an excuse to tell the wife why you have long grass. ;)

srm

Visit site
Interesting discussion if we miss out the grass cutters. (Mine is a Honda, widest cut available without going to a ride on).

During lockdown there was a young person's catamaran for sale here (Azores), the open bridgedeck type with a rabbit hutch slung between the hulls. Through the forum an Australian started asking about the marina and surveyors. After some correspondence I took high res pic and wrote an objective report on it, deliberately keeping my opinion of it to myself. (I used to be a hydrographic surveyor not a boat surveyor). Anyhow, he decided to buy it without seeing it.
When I met him at the airport he was a similar vintage to myself. His first summer was spent working on it and eventually got a short sail before heading back home. Last summer he got to mainland Portugal, put her ashore for more work then headed home. He should be back in Portugal preparing for an Atlantic crossing now but is having to stay home while he waits for a hospital operation.
An extreme case of scratching the later life boat owning itch. (He had owned other boats down under but fancied this type of catamaran).

Myself: as soon as I realised the potential buyer of my boat was serious I felt depressed and started looking at "dinghy with a lid on" type boats. Now I am a bit more accepting that having a boat in the marina might be more of a hassle than a pleasure. We still have a collection of inflatable boating toys including a one person sailing catamaran that can be driven to different launch points around the island for a paddle or sail. I have decided to go with them, at least for this summer. Also, have agreed to help the new owner develop his boat handling skills. Long keel and bowsprit will be a bit different to his beach cat or kite board.

Last edited:

Frogmogman

Visit site
Robot mower is the way to go, along with automatic watering. That allows me to clear off to the boat and leave the garden to look after itself 😃