Some great filming of the IOW race

benjenbav

Visit site
Nick put me in mind rather more of Chris Hoy than of Jeremy Rogers on Saturday afternoon when I saw him on his bike. :D

Rustyknight

Visit site
My partner recently bought a video camera, and she took about 1/2 an hours worth looking out from Hurst castle. T'is nothing very special, as she's still learning the ropes with it.

However, I've had a play with a couple of the clips she took, and tried to get my head round the best way to process it and get it on-line.

If you think it's rubbish, tough..... :D

19 seconds of rubbish

1 minute 16 seconds of rubbish

Rustyknight

Visit site
Ah.... sloping sea syndrome. If you think that's bad, you should see some of the other clips! :eek:

My partner set up the camera and tripod, and then completely failed to notice that one leg had sunk into the shingle. Some of the footage looks as though it was taken up Porlock Hill. :D

flaming

Visit site
I was surprised to see so many boats carrying full main. ??

If you've got racing sails, a bendy mast and a good mainsheet trimmer I would expect to have full main up as you can flatten it to such a degree to reduce drive to a minimum. We did, and were driving on it probably 70-80% of the time upwind, with just the biggest gusts forcing us to flog it. We were passing heavily reefed 40.7s, which are supposedly circa 7% faster, before hurst and they started 20 minutes before us...

A fuller, heavier, baggier, cruising sail is a different story though.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
If you've got racing sails, a bendy mast and a good mainsheet trimmer I would expect to have full main up as you can flatten it to such a degree to reduce drive to a minimum. We did, and were driving on it probably 70-80% of the time upwind, with just the biggest gusts forcing us to flog it. We were passing heavily reefed 40.7s, which are supposedly circa 7% faster, before hurst and they started 20 minutes before us...

A fuller, heavier, baggier, cruising sail is a different story though.

Thanks for that.... I come in the 'baggier cruising' brigade and you real racers have a lot to teach us about the benefits of modern gear I would think.
What is a mainsheet trimmer?

flaming

Visit site
The better ones also nip down below and make a brew on downwind legs.

That would require having a kettle on board.

Mostly they pull the sail in slightly more, or slightly less, than someone else on the boat would do, then act extremely stubborn when the non flying telltales are pointed out. And flog the sail noticably more when they've decided it's working life is up and they're trying to hasten the purchase of a new one....

(Obviously this is behaviour I've noticed on other boats, our own trimmer is a genius.)

Rustyknight

Visit site
Rusty.......
Many thanks for putting the clips on.
I was surprised to see so many boats carrying full main. ??

No worries! I'm glad someone enjoyed them. I did think of combining the whole half hours worth and opening a Youtube account, but as this video lark is a bit new to me I think everyone would have forgotten about the race by the time I'd accomplished it......

I'll show my partner this thread this evening so she can bask in her 15 seconds of fame. :)