Tell me all about East Coast sailmakers

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Nice to see positive views about our local sail makers. But nobody has mentioned price. Although quality is important it is difficult to know in advance (unless one has expertise I don't have) whether higher costs indicates a better quality product. I am about to buy a new genoa and have received three quotes from three of the sail makers mentioned here for similar specifications. The highest quote is 73% above the lowest, the second highest is 42% above the lowest. Can anyone suggest why?
Can't speak for the others, but Jeckells won on price when I wanted a cruising chute. But I wasn't looking for the highest performance. I also liked their snuffer design. I also had them make me a new suit of white sails, and they seem to be fine; good middle-of-the-road Dacron cruising sails.

Concerto

Visit site
Nice to see positive views about our local sail makers. But nobody has mentioned price. Although quality is important it is difficult to know in advance (unless one has expertise I don't have) whether higher costs indicates a better quality product. I am about to buy a new genoa and have received three quotes from three of the sail makers mentioned here for similar specifications. The highest quote is 73% above the lowest, the second highest is 42% above the lowest. Can anyone suggest why?
There are plenty of factors that can affect the price. I presume the genoa is furling with a sacrificial strip.

The biggest difference would be in the sail cloth. It can be varied in cloth weight or additional strengthing like adding Vektrn threads.
Then there is the cut. A radial cut is far more expensive with additional sewing compared to a horizontal cut.
The finishing can also also make a difference with the type of fittings used on the corners of the sail and if there is any additional protection with tape or leather.
The leech construction may be 4 ply or 6 ply. 4 ply is the cheapest but far more expensive when the sacrificial strip needs replacing as the leech has to be completely rebuilt, where as a 6 ply you only replace the sacrificial strip.
Another difference could be is a foam luff fitted.
Finally, is the sail made in the UK? A lot of sails have the basic work done in the Far East and the sailmaker does the final finishing from either jointing the precut panels, or doing the final finishing adding any fittings, or even as little as putting their label on the sail.

Unpicking a sail quote is not easy but this should help you understand what the sailmaker is proposing. Sometimes the cheapest to buy works out more expensive in the long run as the cloth will not last as long and is more expensive to replace the sacrificial strip. If you arfe unsure about any quote, ask the sailmaker.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
It's a long time since I bought sails (2009 and 2010). I used Gowens (part of Dolphin now) and they did a great job. The main when the boat left a year ago was still like new in the stack pack, despite 9 active seasons of use. The genny had the strip replaced about 2019 but was still good from a stretch point of view.

Yorkshire Exile

Visit site
There are plenty of factors that can affect the price. I presume the genoa is furling with a sacrificial strip.

The biggest difference would be in the sail cloth. It can be varied in cloth weight or additional strengthing like adding Vektrn threads.
Then there is the cut. A radial cut is far more expensive with additional sewing compared to a horizontal cut.
The finishing can also also make a difference with the type of fittings used on the corners of the sail and if there is any additional protection with tape or leather.
The leech construction may be 4 ply or 6 ply. 4 ply is the cheapest but far more expensive when the sacrificial strip needs replacing as the leech has to be completely rebuilt, where as a 6 ply you only replace the sacrificial strip.
Another difference could be is a foam luff fitted.
Finally, is the sail made in the UK? A lot of sails have the basic work done in the Far East and the sailmaker does the final finishing from either jointing the precut panels, or doing the final finishing adding any fittings, or even as little as putting their label on the sail.

Unpicking a sail quote is not easy but this should help you understand what the sailmaker is proposing. Sometimes the cheapest to buy works out more expensive in the long run as the cloth will not last as long and is more expensive to replace the sacrificial strip. If you arfe unsure about any quote, ask the sailmaker.

I agree with all of this Concerto, but in this case, to the best of my knowledge, none of it applies!

Yorkshire Exile

Visit site
Concerto - I realised my response might be seen as dismissive, sorry, but not intentional. The big differences like fabric, construction, foam luff, sacrificial strip etc were incuded in the quotes. Although the finer detail may not be it still doesn't account, for me, for the vast differences in the quotes. 40 and 70% difference represents a lot of money!

Rafiki

Visit site
I have used Simon Scamell at Suffolk Sails in Woodbridge for a furling main ( vektran) a radial genoa ( in some sort of upmarket special dacron for radial sails) and a spray hood. This is over the last five years on a 36 footer.
Very well made sails with all the "bells and whsitles" which other often charge extra for. He came and measured and delivered on time ( over winter in all cases).

The last one I had was the genoa delivered this spring. price was about 20% below Kemps on a like for like basis . Given the vast choice of fabrics these days a small loft like Simon's cannot keep all the stock. he says the system used by him ( and most other smaller lofts) is that the sail is computer designed and the panels are then laser cut by the cloth manufacturer in NL or Germany and provided to him to make the sail. This makes sense to me .

Cobra

Visit site
From personal experience having used various sailmakers over the years, I now go to Advantage Sails in Brightlingsea as first choice for Average White Boat sails. Mark will come out to your boat check on measurements if you are unsure and will usually want to see the sails up once complete. If you are looking for sails for something made of wood with a funny shaped mainsail, then look no further than North Sea Sails over in Tollesbury!

Concerto

Visit site
Concerto - I realised my response might be seen as dismissive, sorry, but not intentional. The big differences like fabric, construction, foam luff, sacrificial strip etc were incuded in the quotes. Although the finer detail may not be it still doesn't account, for me, for the vast differences in the quotes. 40 and 70% difference represents a lot of money!
No problem. You gave no indication as to your experience of sails, so I tried to keep the answer simple and clear. The only factor I did not mention that can affect the price is the type of premises they work from. A new business unit is far more expensive than a ramshackle old shed. Then again having multiple "managers" can add to the overheads, the same goes for advertising.

Greemble

www.lowestoftcruisingclub.co.uk
Jeckells visit and measure.
Then take six months, giving every excuse why they can't get started, finally delivering a sail that doesn't fit.
They're not the cheapest, either.

Maybe they're better lately? However, one bad experience is all I'll put up with.
It's when things go wrong that you find out if the company is good, bad or indifferent by how they try to put things right - or just try to wriggle out of providing a fix.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Then take six months, giving every excuse why they can't get started, finally delivering a sail that doesn't fit.
They're not the cheapest, either.

Maybe they're better lately? However, one bad experience is all I'll put up with.
It's when things go wrong that you find out if the company is good, bad or indifferent by how they try to put things right - or just try to wriggle out of providing a fix.
My experience was last year for the white sails, and the cruising chute in 2017. All fit fine and set well; both were made according to the specification agreed between us, and they made useful suggestions during the design process. As their loft is not that far from where I live - closer than the boat - I was able to go and see the cruising chute completed and had a look at their loft, which is vast. Because of Covid, I couldn't do that for the white sails, but in more normal times they would have welcomed me (and my dog!). They cut the fabric on the premises using an NC laser cutter, so they control all stages from design through to final finishing; others have said that smaller outfits often outsource the cutting. Yes, they aren't prompt - but expecting prompt from anyone in the boating world is perhaps wishful thinking! Also, if you want an update on progress you have to ask; they aren't terribly proactive in communications (unless they want paying!).

If I wanted top-of-the-range racing sails, I probably wouldn't go to them. But for good, solid cruising sails, they do a good job.

Greemble

www.lowestoftcruisingclub.co.uk
Also, if you want an update on progress you have to ask; they aren't terribly proactive in communications (unless they want paying!).
I called for updates - and given a different excuse as to why they hadn't even started each time. I guess my one mainsail for a 18-foot boat wasn't their greatest priority...

As I say, most companies are good, even very good, when everything goes right.
*Edit* Maybe if it's a whole set of sails, for a much larger yacht (i.e. much more money), then the service is correspondingly better?
Perhaps they have a cut-off point, below which their service is more 'indifferent' or maybe they have a sliding scale?

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I called for updates - and given a different excuse as to why they hadn't even started each time. I guess my one mainsail for a 18-foot boat wasn't their greatest priority...

As I say, most companies are good, even very good, when everything goes right.
*Edit* Maybe if it's a whole set of sails, for a much larger yacht (i.e. much more money), then the service is correspondingly better?
Perhaps they have a cut-off point, below which their service is more 'indifferent' or maybe they have a sliding scale?
Well, I have a Moody 31, which is larger than yours but not "much larger".

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Chat with Cindy at Wilkinson Sails. She is sensible with her advice and will not rob you. I have known her for a number of years and my sails are due to hit her loft for some repairs in the autumn. She is based in Faversham and has an office in Burnham.

Wilkinson Sails | Faversham
Two recommendations:

1. Cindy at Wilkinson sails, Faversham. Highly expert, anything from 9ft to 70ft.

2. If your boat is gaff rigged I certainly would look further than James Lawrence at Brightlingsea and I would go instead to Stephen at North Sea Sails, Tollesbury.

Would endorse the suggestion /recommendations above

Have known Cindy of Wikinson Sail for about 32 years , one of our sons was offered a Sail Making Training course there , started , but the Govt pulled the Plug (funding) so Son lost his dream job ;

So Son joined up with the Navy , did his years basic training , then (guess what ?) the Govt reduced the funding so Son lost that job /Career

But back to Cindy , well recomended , in North Kent area , I can tell you ; might suggest that being an own Govenor means that the Hours /Days /Woman Power , can be used to best advantage for Getting any Jobdone

bluerm166

Visit site
Well they claim they are in Wroxham, but station road, NR12 8UT is actually in Hoveton the north side of the River Bure, which is Hoveton Parish council in the North Norfolk district,
Wroxham and it's parish council is the south side of the river and in Broadland district. post codes Below NR12 8T are in Wroxham. except for some 8Ds
They have different MPs as well..
Dammit,I've been pleased with my jib but now you tell me .....

Crowblack

Visit site
and the panels are then laser cut by the cloth manufacturer in NL or Germany and provided to him to make the sail.
Or as I understand it there are a few UK sailmakers who have invested in their own computer driven cutting machines and they cut panels for other sailmakers to finish.

simonfraser

Visit site
as said in other recent threads James Lawrence recently died, Andrew has started to supply sails covers and provide alterations in Brightlingsea, can find him on google and facebook.