Tiresome Tinker

G

We love our little Tramp, there's no better tender,but one of the valves( this is the model with white valve body) is leaking slightly between the valve body and the rubber grommet on which it seats. As we keep the dinghy permanently inflated the leak is a constant nuisance. Has any Tramp owner found a solution to this short of having a new valve fitted?

G

You\'ve probably tried this already, but.....

a good soapy wash then thorough fresh water rinse, underneath the 'mushroom' helps.

G

Replace the mushroom - they get a bit tired when they get older and don't seat properly.

You can do it yourself - and when I bought a few spares, they were very cheap.

G

Thanks for the responses. I'm aware of the ways to sort out the mushroom, but my problem is with leakage of air between the plastic valve body and the rubber grommet ( O ring ) on the tube. So I'm still hoping for hints on how to improve the mating surfaces, I cant see any damage or distortion. Ideas please.

G

Try Henshaws,

The makers, at www.somerset.org.uk/henshaw/ they're brilliant! I recently bought some bits from them, real cheap. They replied to my e-mail within the hour! If only all were this quick! I've been waiting for some books from the ybw shop since Jan!

G

Had the same problem on my Traveller in Jersey a few years ago. I went along to the local engineers , taking with me the valve, and bought some O rings to fit at the base of the valve for the valve cap to coin down onto. A little bit of vaseline from the first aid chest to ensure the seal and hey presto it worked! Four O rings cost £0.25 each.

Fair winds Ken

Fair winds

G

Re: Try Henshaws,

i see the ybw shop is not much quicker than their web server!