Wet-Sanding the Antifouling.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I've been using a pole sander for this iob for the last few years but today I lashed up a method of fitting a Scotchbrite pad to it. Finished the job in record time!

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
I just use a handheld Scotchbrite pad with a running hose in the other hand.

Hopefully, the usual suspects won't take offence at the description "Scotch". :rolleyes:

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
I've been scraping since January and now I've finally got down to gelcoat and primer yippee . Took ages to do .

johnalison

Visit site
I bought a pole thing that came in sections, and takes various heads, including Scotch pads and lambswool pads. It was probably a bit of an extravagance, but it makes both the work of scrubbing the anti fouling and washing down the topsides much easier.

William_H

Visit site
I have used a sanding disc on a battery drill at low speed. Wet the hull frequently and dip the disc in water frequently. Terribly messy as chips get flung out but no dust. Good for large build up. Mostly I use the scotch brite in hand but also while in water on the mooring. (perhaps 2 or 3 times per week) (obsessive) That gives a very clean hull and by winter haul out time not much a/f left. ol'will

Neeves

Visit site
I just use a handheld Scotchbrite pad with a running hose in the other hand.

Hopefully, the usual suspects won't take offence at the description "Scotch". :rolleyes:

Scotch is a drink, alcohol - cheap, you might mix it with ginger or coke. its made as a strictly controlled chemical process in bulk in large factories. It is made well over strength in big stainless vats and then 'diluted', cut?, with water. I believe the colour might come from caramel. Instead of 'Scotch' you could replace the alcohol with cheap Vodka or Gin - and not notice the difference - why would anyone be offended. We are becoming unnecessarily PC.

Anyone wanting to drink a decent whisky will define it by source and age, whether it comes from Scotland, Ireland, Taiwan or Tasmania. :)

Jonathan

Last edited:

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
How do you recover the wastewater? At least I wonder about the guy who has a running hose in one hand. That wouln't fly here (you'd face a very large cleanup bill, just after you were asked to leave and not come back).

Vacuum sanding with HEPA seems easier and neater.

Keith 66

Visit site
How do you recover the wastewater? At least I wonder about the guy who has a running hose in one hand. That wouln't fly here (you'd face a very large cleanup bill, just after you were asked to leave and not come back).

Vacuum sanding with HEPA seems easier and neater.

Here in the UK nobody bothers, just sand it off, let it go on the floor & wash into the sea. To be honest i cant see us being allowed to do it much longer.

PeterV

Visit site
I wish I’d read this a couple of days ago, I scrubbed mine on the hard yesterday with a brush and then a hand held Scotchbrite pad. Afterwards I was wondering if a scotchbrite on a pole was possible and if so how much easier it would be!

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
HEPA pole sander - this guy looks pretty cool.

750W Long Handle Drywall Sander

My HEPA set up weighs a tonne, I wouldn't be without it though, so I suppose I can't justify the cost, ho hum. Here comes the bad back :D

Interesting, but probably a poor approach. A large pad can't make good contact on the rounded surface of a hull, so probably most of that is wasted most of the time. All pros in the US use vacuum rigs, but the sander is a lightweight type, varying dependent on whether they are stripping the bottom or just prepping. Then very light hose. Soda blasting is also becoming popular.

matt1

Visit site
It’s a bit variable in the UK I think; I know premier wouldn’t let me rub the fouling down wet but I’ve seen people do it at MDL yards

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Scotch is a drink, alcohol - cheap, you might mix it with ginger or coke. its made as a strictly controlled chemical process in bulk in large factories. It is made well over strength in big stainless vats and then 'diluted', cut?, with water. I believe the colour might come from caramel. Instead of 'Scotch' you could replace the alcohol with cheap Vodka or Gin - and not notice the difference - why would anyone be offended. We are becoming unnecessarily PC.

Anyone wanting to drink a decent whisky will define it by source and age, whether it comes from Scotland, Ireland, Taiwan or Tasmania. :)

Jonathan

The only a scot will add to his scotch is more scotch or may be a little water from a highland stream