What would you carry about your person when singlehanding?

dralex

Visit site
This was prompted by a previous post about EPIRBs. The answers could range from the sublime to the ridiculous.

I'll start with EPIRB, Small hand flare, handheld VHF and some microwavable cod and chips.

Back in the real world, I wear a lifejacket and have the VHF.

What are the essentials for a well heeled MOB to be seen in these days?

[2068]

Visit site
Ummm, an expensive watch, a lifejacket, and a non-waterproof mobile phone.

Can anyone see the flaw in this?

I'm seriously considering one of those McMurdo Fastfind Plus PLB thingies, as it might fit in an inside pocket.

dv.

jonathankent

Visit site
Wear my lifejacket, but do anyhow singlehanded or not... but would also put my molbile into a sealed pocket and should carry my handheld VHF aswell, but in reality probably wouldn't as it wouldn't bee particularly comfortable. Oh, and I would try to clip on as much as possible - should reduce the chance of going overboard and being 'left behind'.

Ships_Cat

Visit site
Often, but not always, a knife. Harness/tether in very rough conditions (but I suggest that depends on the boat - a small/tippy/submarine like boat and I would do earlier).

Oh, and a handkerchief /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

John

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and a handkerchief .

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say that, but kleenex and a copy of Rustler is better lol

Superflid

Visit site
Depends on the conditions.
Yesterday in The Wash I had a cup of coffee in one hand and a fishing rod in t'other.

Was still over-equipped, needn't have bothered with the fishing rod........

jamesjermain

Visit site
Actually on me, very little. During the day in moderate conditions probably nothing boaty. But. Knife and white flare are by the companionway together with water tight cannister containing portable VHF, flares, portable GPS, wallet, water, chocolate.

At night I will wear lifejacket and harness and have around my neck binoculars and hand bearing compass. On my head will be a head torch and a powerful hand torch will be by one of the helms.

bedouin

Visit site
As suggested - I almost always carry the EPIRB, and wear a Lifejacket and harness. I also tend to wear oilies almost all the time - which I don't with a crew.

I used to carry an MOB whistle as well - but I'm not convinced it would do any good so I don't bother now

jamesjermain

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How about a copy of the IRPCS, preferably large print, especially the bit about always keeping an effective watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

And sit at the chart table reading it, presumably!

Kilter

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How about a copy of the IRPCS, preferably large print, especially the bit about always keeping an effective watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

And sit at the chart table reading it, presumably!

[/ QUOTE ]
Be more comfortable tucked up in a decent bunk with a nice hot drink with a good shot of rum in it!

jimi

Visit site
Aye, with the guard alarm on and the remote for the autohelm to hand, that's probablty the best place to be!

Blueboatman

Visit site
Alaskan pilot friend gave me a mini strobe light,about the size of 10 ciggies,which lives tied into my oily at all times. Very reassuring in the rubadub dinghy actually.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I recently did an 8 week singlehander.
I feel the real answer is if you are a long way offshore and the boat is doing more than 2 knots ensure you don't go over the side. I wore my lifejacket with harness and safety line attached 24 hours a day, even when asleep. The other thing I was doing in cooler waters was wearing a neoprene lined [for buoyancy and warmth] survival suit 24 hours a day, but this became too hot to wear most of the time below 49N.
The next disaster is losing the boat and if so to have a staged inventory depending on how long you have before it goes down. For instance I kept a thought in my mind that if I was run down for whatever reason and had only seconds, I would always just grab the EPIRB, then if I had a few more seconds grab my flare container which had 2X2 litre bottles of water in it and a HH VHF and spare batteries. Then if enough time deploy the liferaft and grab bag, still more time stock it with more water and food. After that I would probably think about reading material or anything to make the time on the liferaft comfortable. Always hoping of course that the EPIRB signal would be picked up within the 48 hour battery life.

IzzyDeadyet

in the Fens on a tropical mudflat 5 miles from now
Visit site
Thanks Ken, I feel so much better knowing that you were enjoying yourself /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I planned to be out there yesterday but the 'boss' found me something to do /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif And it's not looking good for this weekend either /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What were conditions like? It was foggy here first thing Thursday followed by rain, lots of it.