What's your 5 top tips?

royburnham

Visit site
I've never been so happy since taking the plunge but avoiding Med!
The main advice I have after listening to many is ......make your own mind up about what you need and where you want to be.
But don't stint on the ground tackle....best insurance!

Ludd

Visit site
I've never been so happy since taking the plunge but avoiding Med!
The main advice I have after listening to many is ......make your own mind up about what you need and where you want to be.
But don't stint on the ground tackle....best insurance!
Now then---what's the best anchor to buy?(runs for cover,pulling on hard hat.
Oh and have a look at PaulDooody's "music on the Guadiana " thread .It will give you a clue who to avoid!

Seriously ,if you play a musical instrument,or can sing,that is a bonus.
If you are good enough the cruising fund can be eked out with a bit ofb busking. I get paid to stop!

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
Don't be put off by some sailors tales, we can exaggerate a bit.. So chased by lightening could translate into saw a few bolts. Force 8 may mean for about 30 seconds.
Whatever works for those of you on board is right; if that means coast or marina hopping, sitting in the same anchorage for weeks or longer passages then great!
Let swmbo have a pair of lovely shoes on board if she wants them! (Glares at skipper...).
All the above sensible advice as in knowing your boat, fixing stuff, carrying spares etc is paramount to cruising.
Appreciate that, despite the well known saying, sometimes you'd feel it'd be better to have a good day in the office :)

Petronella

Visit site
1. Tell people you respect what you are going to do. That will help make it happen.
2. Choose a boat you can love.
3. Buy the new generation anchor of your choice and plenty of chain.
4. Keep it Simple Stupid (KISS).
5. Always look for the positive in people, places and situations.

Do it. Do it now. Tomorrow may be too late.

tcm

Visit site
1. Go as soon as you can, and way before you are completely and utterly "prepared" - they've got better shops in places other than a small island off Northern Europe
2. It'll all be fine in the end. So if it isn't fine, it isn't the end yet. This especially applies to weather - provided that you sail in the favourable seasons, it'll be fine.
3. The best tool is a credit card. Unless you are at sea, so take spare stuff, and cereal in case you run out of food/gas/fridge.
4. The Caribbean is an easier place to hang out than the Med, but harder from which to return. Pacific is even harder so go sooner rather than later if yer gonna go.
5. Don't take other people's advice too seriously - there's lots of nutters, especially amongst the "professionals" and ESPECIALLY on internet forums.

rustybarge

Visit site
Re-use the hot water you have cooked the spag in to wash the dishes.

My son learnt this on a comercial cooks course:
To get the tastiest cutlets and steaks, medium slightly pink: nearly burn on one side to make crispy, just flip on other side for a short time to get required pinkness. I.e don't cook evenly each side!

lumphammer

Visit site
1. Know your boat, look into every space, know where all the important bits are
2. Have a backup plan be flexible
3. Your anchor is your best insurance policy - get the best one you can
4. Don't wait till you're 100% ready - it will never happen go sooner rather than later
5. If you are going for long enough that you don't have to rush - remember you don't have to rush.

RAI

Visit site
1. Read Annie Hill's "Voyaging on a small income".
2. Then do it your own way.
3. Having a happy partner solves all other problems.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Practice emergency and reefing procedures in the dark before departure.
Buy a windvane, watermaker and generator.
Carry spare parts for everything and appropriate tools everything, except electronics, will break because boat kit is made for weekend and holiday sailors.
Plan passages and provisioning in detail. Make a note of where everything is stored.
Write cruising plans in the sand at low tide.

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com
Keep everything simple. The more sophisticated the systems the greater the scope for them to go wrong, and more difficult to fix. I speak from experience. My black/ grey/ freshwater system is managed by 24 electronic relays and now it's gone wrong I can't find an electrician who will take it on and fix it. I can only tell if the tanks need emptying when they back up and fill the boat with their odours. My aircon will only work from my generator but the generator is broken. The water maker needs its filters changing and the will cost me €1500. And then there's the electronics"...........
KISS.