Who authorises moorings?

PaulJS

Visit site
Behind my house in SW Scotland is a tidal estuary with a few small boats in various states of disrepair moored on the banks. I believe that this is tecnically un-navigable as it's upstream of a fairly low road bridge, but I could probably get a boat there reasonably easily if I lowered the mast.
Does anyone know who I would need to contact to ask about permission to lay a mooring there, or maybe even to construct some sort of jetty?

Seajet

Visit site
Paul,

good luck, and keep the exact location quiet !

As said, apart from the odd exception it's down to the Crown Estates, who rigorously control every square millimetre - increasingly so the further South one gets...

DavidMcMullan

Visit site
It might be worth checking with your local council, who owns the intertidal section. It may be the council, or a local land owner. Otherwise, and below low water, it is most probably the Crown estate.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that you must live very close to were I did when I lived there......

IRC there were a few moorings midstream just upstream of the A755 bridge which had small boats on them in the late 70's......

anyways.... I was living in a house on Drumblane Strand which had a view down over the Dee...

bikedaft

Visit site
quite often crown estate commisioners devolve responsibility to a local harbour committee. so ask one of the boat owners. but little to be lost from sticking a mooring down if you cannot find any harbour authority. or even if you do, esp on a half tide mooring...

JKay

Visit site
Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that you must live very close to were I did when I lived there......

IRC there were a few moorings midstream just upstream of the A755 bridge which had small boats on them in the late 70's......

anyways.... I was living in a house on Drumblane Strand which had a view down over the Dee...

small world as I was thinking the same and lived in church place in the ,70
I think Mr J King will own it(He own's everything else in Kooby ;) )
used to catch broon troot in the Buckland Burn and Sea troot at the saw mill :)

Last edited:

bikedaft

Visit site
It might be worth checking with your local council, who owns the intertidal section. It may be the council, or a local land owner. Otherwise, and below low water, it is most probably the Crown estate.

everything beneath high water line belongs to crown estate commisioners. they may lease it, but not sell it to you. so no landowner will own it either...

PaulJS

Visit site
Photodog and Jkay, we are actually on the main road, so views of the golf course in front, and the fish packing plants on the riverside are hidden by greenery behind me.
I think that some of the boats moored there in the 1970's are still there to be honest, albeit now dragged up on the bank!

Thanks to everyone else who has replied, all advice appreciated.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Behind my house in SW Scotland is a tidal estuary with a few small boats in various states of disrepair moored on the banks. I believe that this is tecnically un-navigable as it's upstream of a fairly low road bridge, but I could probably get a boat there reasonably easily if I lowered the mast.
Does anyone know who I would need to contact to ask about permission to lay a mooring there, or maybe even to construct some sort of jetty?

Peter Roberts, Kirkcudbright Harbour Master, will know. His office is the wee square building on the quay or you can call him on 01557 331135. A jetty would require the landowner's permission.