I am an idiot

barryhall

Visit site
I had the mast taken down to replace the standing rigging as I didn't know when it was last replaced (and neither did the previous owner). Was in a rush to get the rigging to the riggers before they closed and pulled the forestay out of the furler (Harken) before thinking about how I was going to get the new forestay past all the joiners in the foil. Does anyone have any bright ideas about how to persuade the new forestay to go through all the joiners?? Only thought I have had is to fix it to a rod long enough to span two sections and hope to align it by flexing the foil as it is pushed through.

Brainless Barry

Visit site
It was no problem with my Furlex. I rounded the end of the new wire a bit and then threaded it through. If it stuck I just rotated it and it slid to the end. Onlt difficult bit was the Stalok at the end, and I got through this with a bit of cleaning and a lot of grease.

TBH I wouldnt have got the wire through the Stalok if it was tied to a mouse line anyway.

rob2

Visit site
I took all the sections of my Harken apart and rebuilt it around the new wire - the rigger then told me that the bushes in the joints have tapered ends and the wire will simply push through unaided! I guess you'll have to strip off the drum, etc to make up the Stalok, but its all pretty straightforward. You can download all the literature from the Harken website. Good luck, Rob.

barryhall

Visit site
Thanks to all who replied, I couldn't tell from the manual that the joining pieces are tapered, that should make it much easier, the electrician's mouse SHOULD then make it simple!

Barry