Isle of Wight sealine crash with injuries……updated

Momac

Visit site
I see a significant fine plus unpaid work also applied.

Would it be safe to assume insurers declined a claim ?

Momac

Visit site
I think would have obligations to the people who got injuries , so sad.
I wouldn't be sure about that. insurers may have rejected a claim on the basis of reckless behaviour.
But if insurers did accept third party claims they could seek a recovery from the guilty party.

jon and michie

Visit site
I wouldn't be sure about that. insurers may have rejected a claim on the basis of reckless behaviour.
But if insurers did accept third party claims they could seek a recovery from the guilty party.
The article reports the Judge mentioning the consumption of Alcohol affecting the defendant's judgement - for quite a few years now my insurers send out a what's covered / Not Covered pamphlet when I've renewed my insurance - under the influence of Alcohol being not covered.
I would be inclined to say the insurers are running a mile from that claim.

ylop

Visit site
Just saw that myself. Will that help the person with life changing injuries to make civil claim against?
It certainly won’t harm a case, and often civil cases are delayed because the defendant doesn’t want to harm their criminal case; but the two are completely separate.
I see a significant fine plus unpaid work also applied.

Would it be safe to assume insurers declined a claim ?
I don’t know why you’ve made that association. He’d still have been prosecuted if insurers had settled.

Says in the article, uninsured.
I read the article and don’t see that!

Surely if one can afford a boat like that - then insurance should not be a problem.
Might be many reasons for not being insured rather than money:
- not covered at night?
- not covered is skipper under influence?
- forgot to renew
- left to auto renew on an old credit card and didn’t notice…

The lower courts are full of people trying to explain their way out of no insurance charges on the roads where it’s a legal requirement - so hardly surprising if boats end up uninsured.

jon and michie

Visit site
Might be many reasons for not being insured rather than money:
- not covered at night?
- not covered is skipper under influence?
- forgot to renew
- left to auto renew on an old credit card and didn’t notice…

The lower courts are full of people trying to explain their way out of no insurance charges on the roads where it’s a legal requirement - so hardly surprising if boats end up uninsured.
The article reports the Judge mentioning the consumption of Alcohol affecting the defendant's judgement - for quite a few years now my insurers send out a what's covered / Not Covered pamphlet when I've renewed my insurance - under the influence of Alcohol being not covered.
I would be inclined to say the insurers are running a mile from that claim.
Ah see where you are coming from - Hence my previous post ie under the influence -but could have been covered if he hadn't been on the sauce.
As for - forgot to renew etc etc - That is inexcusable as your insurers remind you enough about renewal and when its lapsed.

ylop

Visit site
As for - forgot to renew etc etc - That is inexcusable as your insurers remind you enough about renewal and when its lapsed.

Your insurer may, his insurer may not (mine sends by email - could easily get junk mailed). But I wasn’t trying to excuse it - I was simply pointing out that it may not have been a conscious decision to not insure.

jon and michie

Visit site
Your insurer may, his insurer may not (mine sends by email - could easily get junk mailed). But I wasn’t trying to excuse it - I was simply pointing out that it may not have been a conscious decision to not insure.
Yep - I know you personally wasn't trying to excuse it - you was pointing out about other folk etc etc.