Stick-on sail numbers

neil_s

Visit site
I have a new (to me) sail for my dinghy. It has the sail number of the previous owner's boat and I would like to change it to my own boat's number. I have tried lifting a corner of one of the stick-on numerals and s**t and blankets came immediately to mind. Any tips on how to get them off without destroying the fabric of the sail?

Cheers! Neil

wilkinsonsails

Visit site
Try a warm iron on the reverse side while still warm pull the number off.Will leave sticky residue if it old ,white spirit will make it gooey so scrape that off with palete knife .Its a very messy job.We also use dry cleaning fluid in well vented area.
Heat usually releases the glue off the sailcloth so its a good start ,before getting aggressive with the solvents.
Good luck.
Cindy

Alfie168

Visit site
(Extract lifted from a Laser Forum)

"Acetone is more effective the longer it is left on the sail, softening the glue residue. Since it's so fast to evaporate (hence the warnings about harmful vapors ), the trick to making it work is to keep it as liquid against the number and glue.

We usually start by pulling off as much of the numbers as we can, then we go after the rest with acetone. Start by putting a acetone proof barrier between the sail and floor, grass or whatever surface you are using. This will trap and keep the acetone on the back side of the sail and glue. Next be very liberal in wetting out the sail around the numbers with the acetone. Acetone will not damage the cloth used for Laser sails (or pretty much any dacron sailcloth material w/ or w/o a finish on it) I'm roughly guestimating I would pour out about 2 cups worth per side. Finally, get some toilet paper and put it top of the numbers - the paper will hold the acetone against the numbers, slowing down the evaporation. Let this sit for 5 minutes or more. If the toilet paper starts to dry, add more acetone. Rub a test area (we always wear gloves) with more tp or paper towels - when the glue has turned soft, you can use either more paper towels, or a 1" putty knife to scrape off the residue. It may take a second "coat" to remove every last drop, but with this method when it's done, you won't know that a number was ever there."

Finally, if you are left with sticky residue then try chalk/talcum which you may be able to roll into little balls to remove sticky. In any event it stops stickiness collecting dirt if you can't remove it all. If done properly with acetone there should be no sticky residue.

Tim

William_H

Visit site
removing old sail numbers

As Alfie says acetone is best. However as he says it will soften the old glue but evaporate before you know it and leave glue still there. Acetone on a rag using a clean patch of rag for each wipe is the way to remove it. As Alfie says you can soften the glue with acetone soaked in paper but try putting a piece of cling wrap or plastic shopping bag over it to stop the evaporation.
I confess with my boat when I changed the numbers the mainsail looked 'orrible until I finally bought a new sail. I didn't have the patience to clean off the glue. good luck olewill

neil_s

Visit site
Thanks, all, for the helpful suggestions. This sounds like one of those jobs which it's better not to think too much about before you start!

Cheers! Neil

www.bavariayacht.info
Try a warm iron on ... white spirit will make it gooey so scrape that off with palete knife

Acetone has already been mentioned, but mixing Acetone and White Spirit will slow the evaporation rate. Try not to get too much on your skin, it sucks all the natural oil out.

Butyl Rubber gloves are the only type that won't disintegrate in Acetone, let me know if you find any thin ones for sale, I've been looking for days!