Trailer sailer recommendations?

ash2020

Visit site
Or should that be trailer sailor?

We're moving down to Fowey, in Cornwall in the summer and I'm going to be getting another boat. I just sold my Varne 27 fin keel in Poole as I don't think there's a chance of getting a mooring in my lifetime. In fact, I was asking around in the pub and it seems that the waiting list is anywhere from 10 to 20 years! At that rate, I'll be in my 90s and likely to have given up sailing!
I've had 2 trailable boats so far, a Jaguar 23 and a Hunter Legend 26. The Hunter, in particular, was very easy to rig and launch, but a little bit tender in a blow.
Any ideas for good trailable sailing boats without a huge price tag? Not a dinghy (or a MacG.) We have a VW van so towing weight isn't too much of an issue. Thanks.

Rappey

Visit site
Evolution 26 would be a good trailer sailer. Great boat to sail and very flat bottom with no protrusion when keel is up.

ash2020

Visit site

fredrussell

Visit site
Can you tow a 25’ - 27’ boat with a vw van? legal limit on mine (T5) is about 2.3 tonnes if memory serves. Would’ve thought that size boat on a trailer would be nearer 3 tonnes.

William_H

Visit site
A huge amount of variables when talking trailer sailer. I think sailing performance varies a lot from 17ft to 22 ft as does room inside.
However space to store at home might be problem. Ease of rigging can be a problem for larger TS. if it is too difficult and time consuming one might tend to just give the outing a miss.
I can only talk of my experiences with my 21ft TS. For the first 3 years I trailed it for each outing. Long drive 20kms through Melbourne city centre or even longer to country venues. I was young then and it seemed to be worth it. Even with young family. Boat has vertical lifting keel very shallow draft keel up. So easy to launch into shallow water. Total weight on trailer was 1.25 tonnes so no problem behind 6cyl family car. (auto transmission) never any traction issues at boat ramps. Light weight boat means very tender but means goes well with smaller sails in blow.
Situation changed and 40 years ago we moved to Perth and it became practical to leave boat on a swing mooring. I have ever since only trailered it home for winter.
I have refined mast raising/ lower so no problem in fact about 1 hr to get boat from mooring to settled at home.
I am however very aware that my sailing style has been dictated by existing boat and every person's wishes and sailing habits are different. In fact statistically most people who buy a boat find their life style and priorities mean ultimately the boat is not used. So just buy waht you fancy and then find if it really suits you. I don't know any other answer. I have seen guys tow 27ft TS no problem but 20 ft far easier. But I can give you advice on mast raising. ol'will

nevis768

Visit site
Swallow Bay Raider, nice but again a bit on the small side. Really looking for 25'-27'.
Think you're max trailer length is about 7m for a T5, I would check the max length and weight you can tow. There is also a max all up weight for towing which includes the towing vehicle and everything in it, plus trailer and what's on that,GTW.Depending on year, T5's can tow either 2 to 2.5 tons, but that's not the GTW. What that means is that if your vans full with passengers, kit, your tow weight will be much less. Boat on trailers pulled by cars/vans are a favourite for visits to weigh bridges with Highways or the police. There also driving licence regs to consider depending when you passed your test.

Last edited:

ash2020

Visit site
Can you tow a 25’ - 27’ boat with a vw van? legal limit on mine (T5) is about 2.3 tonnes if memory serves. Would’ve thought that size boat on a trailer would be nearer 3 tonnes.
Sorry, should've said, I'm planning to keep the boat on its trailer in a boat park by the slipway so only using the van for launching. I think you're right though. Most would be over the weight limit for road towing.

Last edited:

ash2020

Visit site
Think you're max trailer length is about 7m for a T5, I would check the max length and weight you can tow. There is also a max all up weight for towing which includes the towed vehicle and everything in it, plus trailer and what's on that,GTW.Depending on year, T5's can tow either 2 to 2.5 tons, but that's not the GTW. What that means is that if your vans full with passengers, kit, your tow weight will be much less. Boat on trailers pulled by cars/vans are a favourite for visits to weigh bridges with Highways or the police. There also driving licence regs to consider depending when you passed your test.

ash2020

Visit site
A huge amount of variables when talking trailer sailer. I think sailing performance varies a lot from 17ft to 22 ft as does room inside.
However space to store at home might be problem. Ease of rigging can be a problem for larger TS. if it is too difficult and time consuming one might tend to just give the outing a miss.
I can only talk of my experiences with my 21ft TS. For the first 3 years I trailed it for each outing. Long drive 20kms through Melbourne city centre or even longer to country venues. I was young then and it seemed to be worth it. Even with young family. Boat has vertical lifting keel very shallow draft keel up. So easy to launch into shallow water. Total weight on trailer was 1.25 tonnes so no problem behind 6cyl family car. (auto transmission) never any traction issues at boat ramps. Light weight boat means very tender but means goes well with smaller sails in blow.
Situation changed and 40 years ago we moved to Perth and it became practical to leave boat on a swing mooring. I have ever since only trailered it home for winter.
I have refined mast raising/ lower so no problem in fact about 1 hr to get boat from mooring to settled at home.
I am however very aware that my sailing style has been dictated by existing boat and every person's wishes and sailing habits are different. In fact statistically most people who buy a boat find their life style and priorities mean ultimately the boat is not used. So just buy waht you fancy and then find if it really suits you. I don't know any other answer. I have seen guys tow 27ft TS no problem but 20 ft far easier. But I can give you advice on mast raising. ol'will
I've got quite a bit of experience with TS. I had a Jaguar 23 on a big 4 wheel trailer and a Hunter Legend 26 on a 2 wheel trailer. The Hunter was by far the easiest to rig and launch. I towed her from the South Coast up to Scotland and sailed her for a year but found her much too flimsy for Scottish waters.
I'm hoping we will get space at the boat park next to the slipway so easy launching is the main priority, not so much long distance towing. I would go for a swinging mooring but the waiting list is up to 20 years!