What's going on in Cherbourg?

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I know they're hosting the finish of the Fastnet but they tell me:

"We will hosting the fastnet race from the 13rd of July to the 31st.
The space will be restricted in that period of time."

The race doesn't start until the 22nd. Why are they short of space nine days before the start?

matt1

Visit site
It’s to make room for those departing for the start from France. We are hoping to arrive on the day of the start when hopefully there will be room! Fingers crossed

Daydream believer

Visit site
It’s to make room for those departing for the start from France. We are hoping to arrive on the day of the start when hopefully there will be room! Fingers crossed
If you turn up in Cherbourg for the start, you will be wasting your time, because it starts off the Royal Yacht Squadron start line off Cowes :rolleyes: But of course if you are just cruising the French coast it seems like a plan:unsure:

jaminb

Visit site
the tidal stars are aligning for my first cross channel trip next week. Hopefully pick up a Yarmouth buoy late on Wednesday evening and head west round the Needles and due south at 06.00 ish thursday morning. The current forecast is looking iffy. Any better pressure illustrations / predictions than the BBC medium range web site? I find wind guru pretty reliable but i don't think i can get Cherbourg without being a premium subscriber.

Thanks

Daydream believer

Visit site
I tried to track them on marine traffic and ship tracking online & both are showing positions ep to 15 hours or more out of date & no current data. Is that a fault on my versions or are others having the same issues right now?

wonkywinch

Visit site

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
the tidal stars are aligning for my first cross channel trip next week. Hopefully pick up a Yarmouth buoy late on Wednesday evening and head west round the Needles and due south at 06.00 ish thursday morning. The current forecast is looking iffy. Any better pressure illustrations / predictions than the BBC medium range web site? I find wind guru pretty reliable but i don't think i can get Cherbourg without being a premium subscriber.

Thanks
There's a free Windguru spot at Barfleur.
Also Querqueville just west of Cherbourg.

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site

Thanks
I don't think Cherbourg will let you berth anywhere next late week or even earlier due to clearing pontoons, especially the visitors for the racing fleet. They had also put a lot of mooring buoys outside in the Petite Rade and there was talk about banning anchoring there for the duration.
The work they were doing for receiving the racing fleet was quite impressive on the grass area to the south of the marina.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
bummer! thanks for the heads up. Any recommendations for a alternative first crossing destinations?
Saint Vaast La Hougue. If you go via Bembridge Ledge it's about the same distance as Cherbourg. The tides work well for a departure from Bembridge or Priory Bay but we normally go straight from Portsmouth. Track is about 185 degrees. Tidal entrance but good anchorage outside in Westerlies.

Daydream believer

Visit site
bummer! thanks for the heads up. Any recommendations for a alternative first crossing destinations?
Would St Peter Port be a step too far & pose problems getting the timing right for the Alderney race? Certainly a nice place to go & if in st PP it is much easier to time the race on the trip home. Coming home would add about 7 hours to the trip.