Cost to fit wind mast head unit and cable.

WoodyP

Visit site
I need to do this before I sell the boat, but the mast is definitely coming down to do it. The mast will stay down until she's sold.

WoodyP

Visit site
It can always go back up, but we are on the hard and in the far west of Wales so any purchaser may want to transport her. Plus the fact this is an old MAB, with plenty of history. I don't know of many brokers selling yachts with a test sail when the boat is on the hard, and I no longer have a mooring.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Just a thought

I'd expect to be able to make a test sail, check the sails and mast electrics before I bought a yacht......?

Jonathan
Depends on the investment & the overall state of the boat
I would be happy to see the mast on the ground & examine it there for any defects. Place a battery on the wires to check the nav lights. Take a chance on VHF & wind instruments. Sails can be rolled out & better checked for damage etc on the floor. One knows that with a second hand boat they are more likely to be knackered. I would be looking at the rudder & keel when on the hard. If I was buying, then I would want it antifouled before the launch.; whether I did that myself or not.
As for sailing the boat- surely if one is buying a particular model one would have researched how it sailed anyway. One knows that cheapo bilge keel oldies are not going to sail well. Bit different with newer models where one is spending lots of money. But then there will be some info somewhere. There will be people to ask.
But If one is spending say £30K+then £1000 lifting in & out of the water is not so great in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

Neeves

Visit site
Depends on the investment & the overall state of the boat
I would be happy to see the mast on the ground & examine it there for any defects. Place a battery on the wires to check the nav lights. Take a chance on VHF & wind instruments. Sails can be rolled out & better checked for damage etc on the floor. One knows that with a second hand boat they are more likely to be knackered. I would be looking at the rudder & keel when on the hard. If I was buying, then I would want it antifouled before the launch.; whether I did that myself or not.
As for sailing the boat- surely if one is buying a particular model one would have researched how it sailed anyway. One knows that cheapo bilge keel oldies are not going to sail well. Bit different with newer models where one is spending lots of money. But then there will be some info somewhere. There will be people to ask.
But If one is spending say £30K+then £1000 lifting in & out of the water is not so great in the grand scheme of things.

To me, if the yacht is not available in the water with its mast rigged, I'd walk. There is plenty of choice. I'd also expect to be able for me, or better, my surveyor to examine the yacht out of the water.

A lot of second hand, not third and 6th hand, yachts have sails that are hardly used. but I would not rely on it - and I'd prefer to see the sails in action.

If its a bilge keel and the tides correct - I'd be more than happy if the yacht is made available 'dried out'.

There are lots of yachts for sail - sadly the owner will need to make an effort, for me.

If the yacht is badly fouled - again - I'd walk - unless I was buying a project yacht and then my offer would reflect my doubts. Its upto the owner - if he wants to sell the yacht must be presentable.

Jonathan

WoodyP

Visit site
To me, if the yacht is not available in the water with its mast rigged, I'd walk. There is plenty of choice. I'd also expect to be able for me, or better, my surveyor to examine the yacht out of the water.

A lot of second hand, not third and 6th hand, yachts have sails that are hardly used. but I would not rely on it - and I'd prefer to see the sails in action.

If its a bilge keel and the tides correct - I'd be more than happy if the yacht is made available 'dried out'.

There are lots of yachts for sail - sadly the owner will need to make an effort, for me.

If the yacht is badly fouled - again - I'd walk - unless I was buying a project yacht and then my offer would reflect my doubts. Its upto the owner - if he wants to sell the yacht must be presentable.

Jonathan
I guess I won't be seeing you then😃

Neeves

Visit site
I guess I won't be seeing you then😃
There is more to a test sail than .... the test sail

Don't misunderstand - the best way to see if there are any leaks - from whatever source is to see it sitting in the water (and vice versa). How else do you find out if the shaft or sail drive leaks. Others may not be concerned about such minor details. Its similar with deck leaks - best go for a look after its been raining (which will be worse after a test sail).

No wonder there is a body of opinion advocating and supporting no test sail, only out of water viewing.

There is a veritable cornucopia of second hand yachts on the market of all ages, buyers are spoilt for choice. My guess is that presentation is part key as is a seller willing to subject their pride and joy to the use for which it was intended - sailing. Sailing ability of a specific design is well known - deck leaks can develop individually.

But each to their own. By all means have a superficial look - you will have plenty of time to sort out the issues when you own her.

Jonathan

Minerva

Visit site
I did it the easy way when our Stowe packed up. Left the old wire in the mast and fitted a NASA wireless wind which took around half an hour up the mast and a couple of hours modifying the instrument panel and fitting the display.
That’s the approach I took. Now on its 5th or 6th season of faultless operation.

I confess that I expected some issue this spring as we had the mast down this winter and the mast head unit was off off the mast and in a locker inside the boat - no solar recharging and I expected the battery to be flat. Not so it turns out, just before launch I pulled the MHU out of storage and turned instruments on and it connected instantly! Very impressed.

If and when it loses cups like some claim they’re prone to, then it’s a 5min up the mast on the mast steps, undo the collar clamp and then the MHU can come done to the cockpit for any tinkering needed. Its replacement is just as straightforward.

IMO - it’s 2024. Absolutely no need to run wires down the mast for a sensor.

As to the price in the OP - feels very reasonable indeed for a day rate. I wish the contractors I employed through work were as cheap as £400 a day!

lustyd

Visit site
I might well have gone for the wire or solar, option anyway
The solar option has a battery, and those batteries often cause issues. Wires tend to be simpler and more reliable, there's no pairing, no firmware, no interference, no battery, not a lot to go wrong aside from physical damage.
A cable gets fitted once and takes maybe an hour. Wireless can create ongoing maintenance issues for years.

capnsensible

Visit site
I'm involved with a couple of yachts with wireless wind indicators and so far, so good. Had plenty of problems over the years with chafed wires inside masts and more noticeably, corroded terminals. Whatever you fit, it will go wrong sooner or later! Twice I've had the masthead fitting wiped out by seabirds....wire or wireless doesn't matter!

For long passages, as Daydream mentions, the prudent mariner will include a battery change in the pre voyage rigging inspection. As you are up there anyway.....

Like all electronics, I find it good for back up to turn stuff off now and then for practice when it happens for real.

Minerva

Visit site
Somehow, if I was going on a long ocean voyage, changing the battery might be on the "to do" list before I left. :unsure: ;)
But there again, I might well have gone for the wire or solar, option anyway. :p
If we’re on an ocean passage and the battery dies it might be a problem that ends in not knowing the exact wind speed…

I’ll classify that on my internal risk register as “acceptable” 😎

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
If we’re on an ocean passage and the battery dies it might be a problem that ends in not knowing the exact wind speed…

I’ll classify that on my internal risk register as “acceptable” 😎
Knowing wind direction might be more crucial than speed. So you might have to resort to the proverbial wet finger to gauge that...

SaltyC

Visit site
Oh, do people have a windex as well as an electronic wind detector? We were considering how to cope with the latter having an outage...

Of course if you want your autopilot to steer by the wind a windex is not going to cut it!
Aah old tech, wind vane?