Ultraflip or Kong with chain link to anchor

Neeves

Visit site
It depends on how accurately you measured the space on your bow roller but a Peerlift 5/16th" shackle might fit your anchor and/or your chain and/or the cheeks to your bow roller. I think you have stated that your anchor has a hole not a slot - you may meed to use 2 shackles back to back. You would need to modify the pin, see earlier posts. You have not mentioned the thickness of the shank of your anchor - if you are interested - check that the space filled by the clevis pin fits your shank.

The shackle needs 50mm to fit the cheeks of the bow roller and has a WLL of 1.25t and, from memory, a 6:1 safety factor.

Shackle dimensions are similar, a 1/2"shackle is very close to the same from all manufacturers. Check with any 5/16th" shackle for size and fit.

In the grand scheme of things shackles, even good ones, are cheap.

Peerless | Peer-Lift® Screw Pin Anchor Shackles

I have not tested the 5/16th" shackle but did test a number of the 3/8th. The quality is excellent, one might say Peerless :)

Jonathan

stranded

Visit site
Why did it take you so long to type those 2 sentences.

Thank you.

What was the chain originally supplied by the builder and/or what was the original rode as supplied by the builder - the shackle must have fitted then - unless it was originally equiped with the Kong swivel. and G70 chain (which would be unusual).

After all the negativity thrown at Maggi for galvanising chain life - your chain has lasted well.

Jonathan
In 2016 you approved a solution involving a Petersen d shackle proposed by Babylon, stating “I think your arrangement will be fine“? (I have copied a fuller quote at #58) That is the solution on which mine is modelled, having placed considerable weight on your approval of it. You thought back then that the Petersen d shackle would be the equal of a certified galvanised shackle with the head cut off. What new evidence has caused you to change your mind? Were you wrong then or are you wrong now?

I bought the Maggi chain in 2017, so 7 years. I have just cut off the end 30 metres as it was quite rusty, in the process losing the enlarged end link which I had specified and which is what precipitated this reevaluation. The remaining 70m will do for a couple more years I hope.

Neeves

Visit site
I said the arrangement was fine, I did not recommend it. If your anchor has a hole not a slot you need to instal a shackle with the clevis pin through the hole - that's how the anchor was designed. Conventional galvanised 'D' shackles, afaik, are not available in alloy versions or G80 grade and if you have a narrow bow roller your fall back for better strength is stainless - you have no option. In your case , having looked at the dimensions a galvanised G80 Grade B bow shackle might fit and I would recommend it over a stainless option - on cost ground - even if nothing else. Grade B demands that each shackle is proof tested to twice WLL - which seems a pretty impressive test to me.

With your chain I'd check whether the installation of an Omega link would work, are they smaller than 50mm (I have never had need to check - but some are very neat, especially if you look at G100 versions). Rather than chop off 30m I would have had it regalvanised and this may be a good and cheap option for you on the remaining 70m. Regalvanising will do it no harm, I tested for this on gal G70 and Peerless agree with me.

Jonathan